Lie in my heart is OUT NOW! [Mental illness] [Suicide Awareness] [Childhood] [Biographical]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Expressivegame
itch: expressivegames

Lie in my heart is OUT NOW! [Mental illness] [Suicide Awareness] [Childhood] [Biographical]

#1 Post by Expressivegame »

--

How would you react to your child's mother ending her own life? Would you make the same choices I made? Would you feel the same regret? How would you support your child through this painful moment of life?

Live my life and learn if your choices are similar to mine

Visit our steam page & review it if you like this project!

Synopsis

My daily life brutally collapsed the day Marie, my wife, took her own life.

The violence of the death led to a forensic investigation, to reporters pushing doubt on the nature of what happened… and even though Marie suffered from bipolar disorder, the demons of remorse of our fresh break-up started to show up.

To try to get a grasp of why Marie gave up on life, I keep remembering our life together, the choices I made. It is a necessary evil to find the right words to Théo’s questions, our 5 year-old boy, in order to help him to cope with his mother’s loss.

LIVE MY LIFE AND LEARN IF YOUR CHOICES ARE SIMILAR TO MINE

Key features
  • A narrative, interactive and artistic experience that redefines one’s conception of “what a game is”
  • This game includes sensitive and moving topics inspired by daily life and real events
  • It is both easy to play and deep in its content, and the game’s mechanics create high replay value
  • Beyond its personal story, Lie In My Heart illustrates universal topics such as losing a loved one, coping with mental illness, and helping a child to deal with death
  • Inspired in its visuals and soundtrack by strong cinematographic and musical works (such as David Lynch’s universe, Steven Wilson’s music and the band Tool)
  • Rating : PEGI-16
Concept

Both a visual novel and an adventure game, Lie in My Heart is the exploration of a family tragedy and of the autobiographical possibilities of videogames. The game relies on the concept of « expressive games »: play experiences that give players the opportunity to take someone’s place in order to explore personal psychological and social issues, as well as moral and ethical dilemmas and their consequences. This concept is the result of several years of research carried out by game designer and researcher Sébastien Genvo

Steam page released on August 30th 2019, game available on October 4th 2019

Languages: French, English, Italian

Progress: The development of the game is done, we are still implementing translations, the trailer will be available at the end of the month
--
Game design, art, programing, writing: Sébastien Genvo

Music: David Dupuy, Sébastien Genvo

Publisher: Cogaming Rising
Last edited by Expressivegame on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Expressivegame

Re: Lie in my heart [Mental illness] [Suicide Awareness] [Childhood] [Biographical] TRAILER + Steam page !!!

#2 Post by Expressivegame »

The trailer and the steam page are out!!! I would be happy to hear about your feedback on this project I've been working on for one year now :)

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: Lie in my heart [Mental illness] [Suicide Awareness] [Childhood] [Biographical] TRAILER + Steam page !!!

#3 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I really like it, though I would touch up some of the character artwork slightly, like 1:16, if you remove the dark lines between the teeth it might look more natural, also, softening the creases in the face might also give a more natural and flattering look. Even if this is based on reference, don't be afraid to touch it up a little, draw someone they way you see them in your heart.

I used to work as a portrait artist when I was younger, and I would always try to put the people up on a pedestal and look at them in awe, and then draw what I saw. The resulting picture was accurate but also flattering, it's like looking at the world with rose tinted glasses. I would also touch up 0:20/0:22. I think the use of black outlines is a little harsh and unflattering for this realistic style. The feeling portrayed by this artistic style isn't the same as the music. I feel the colors should be softer, you don't need to use black outlines. You can even experiment with other colors (different shades of brown could work here, one for the hair and another one for the skin).

Well, that is my first impression. I might feel differently if I played through the whole game, and to be honest, I would be tempted to give it a go. I think the trailer and the pitch is pretty good. Not sure how others would feel though.

Expressivegame

#4 Post by Expressivegame »

Thanks a lot for your nice feedback!! The overall tone of the game will be much more darker than the trailer, but you are right, I might try to make some visuals look more natural by softening some creases and colors! I'll be happy to hear your feedback on the whole game, anyway thanks once again!!

Expressivegame

#5 Post by Expressivegame »

I am very happy to inform you that my game is now on sale :) Please post a review on steam if you like the game and I will be happy to discuss about it here!