​Our Life: Beginnings & Always (Gender ChoicexM, Romance, Comedy, Drama)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

​Our Life: Beginnings & Always (Gender ChoicexM, Romance, Comedy, Drama)

#1 Post by Googaboga »

And we're back with another new project.
Our Life is a nostalgic Visual Novel where you create your own character and grow from childhood to adulthood with the lonely boy next door. It's currently in development by GB Patch Games. A 78,000 word demo is available for anyone who's interested. It includes scenes from childhood and adolescence.

(Windows, Mac, Linux, Android)
(Windows and Linux only for now)
A slice-of-life story with comedy, romance, drama, and many wonderful memories to make.

Price: Free-to-Play, with optional paid DLCs that add events and Love Interests

Rating: 16+, for swearing, crude humor, and suggestive content during adult-aged portions of the game

Release Date: November 2nd, 2020 for Steps 1-3 + three DLCs

Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Steam

-4 different periods of life to experience; childhood, adolescence, teen-aged, and adulthood
-Name, appearance, personality, and pronoun (he, she, or they) customization for your character
-The option to change your character's details however you like as you grow, including transitioning to new pronouns
-A choice-heavy Visual Novel with frequent opportunities to shape your personality, feelings, and preferences
-1 main love interest, Cove Holden, whose personality, interests, and appearance will develop in a custom way over the years based on his experiences with you
-Decide for yourself how quickly or slowly the relationship develops between you and Cove by setting a unique dynamic that can change over time
-6-8 hours of content that's free for everyone, plus optional paid DLCs that increase playtime
-Light animation effects. The sun shines, characters blink, and more (animations can also be turned off)
-Partial voice acting
-A voiced name feature. Choose one of the options on a 600-name-long list and hear that name said aloud by Cove throughout the story ❤

Jamie Last (name can be changed) has spent the last couple weeks on a summertime high. At eight-years-old nothing is better than what feels like endless days of school-less adventures, especially when you live walking distance from the beach. While coming home under a scorching sunset one fine evening, Jamie is approached by a stranger. The man is looking for a kid who can do him a favor, and he’s even offering to pay for it. He wants Jamie to please be friends with his only child. The person is Mr. Holden, Jamie’s new neighbor as well as the father of the odd, and oddly named, boy Cove. Whether Jamie wants to play along or not, Cove isn’t going anywhere. He's present in Jamie's life for far longer than they ever would've guessed.

And somehow the long days of vacation finally come to an end. Summer may not be able to last forever, but Jamie can take comfort in knowing it will come back again someday…

We'd love to hear what you guys think!
Last edited by Googaboga on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: ​Our Life: Beginnings & Always (Gender ChoicexM, Romance, Comedy, Drama) Demo Out!

#2 Post by Zelan »

I remember when I first saw stuff about this on your Tumblr, I thought it was a super cool concept then and I'm still excited for it ^_^ I think it's super awesome that you've allowed players to play trans characters, too, by changing their pronouns during the game's different stages of life.,

Best of luck with the game! I'll be looking forward to it. (:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: ​Our Life: Beginnings & Always (Gender ChoicexM, Romance, Comedy, Drama) Demo Out!

#3 Post by Googaboga »

@Zelan
Thank you so much for the well-wishes! I'm happy you're looking forward to it ^^
In-Progress:
Released:

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

#4 Post by ParrotWatcher »

This is nice. I'm not usually that interested in games that only have a single romantic option, but I do like the idea that Cove's character and appearance can change over the years based on the player's actions (and it doesn't hurt that baby-Cove is just adorable).

I look forward to seeing where this goes. :) Good luck with the game!
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

Piper
Regular
Projects: Refraction

#5 Post by Piper »

What an amazing idea for a visual novel. And the art you've shown goes along with it perfectly. I look forward to this one's development. :)

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Googaboga »

@ParrotWatcher
Thank you very much! I'm happy you like tiny Cove :D. And if it helps, there are two other LIs who haven't been shown. They aren't customizable like Cove is and have shorter storielines, though.
https://gb-patch.tumblr.com/post/187241 ... -appear-in

@Piper
Thank you <3! We'll do our best to make the most of the concept.
In-Progress:
Released:

NiKaWo
Regular
itch: NiKaWo

#7 Post by NiKaWo »

oh man, I'm a sucker for childhood friend romances, I'll definitely be buying this. I had lots of fun with the demo too!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Googaboga »

@NiKaWo
Thank you! Haha, I love childhood romances too. And I'm happy to hear you liked the demo c:.
In-Progress:
Released:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Googaboga »

We’ve got a public draft of the Our Life Kickstarter up! There’s a bunch of new information about the game and cute screenshots/video clips that haven’t been shown before. You can even see Step 3 Cove and the two other Love Interests~

If you’re interested in being a backer, you can also peruse our reward options. The full details haven’t been added yet, but the basic idea is there.

The project will be going live for real in mid-October, 2019.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gb ... n=68dcdfd7

We’d love to get some feedback on what we’ve done so far ❂!
In-Progress:
Released:

ParrotWatcher
Regular
Completed: Unearth your Gays
Projects: Lovecraft Academy
Tumblr: parrotwatcher
itch: parrotwatcher

#10 Post by ParrotWatcher »

Sorry if this is obvious, but when it says "your name voiced" in the rewards, is that to do with the "voiced name feature", and if so how exactly would it work? Would backers just submit their names for voicing?

Everything else looks great. :) Good luck with the Kickstarter! :D
Please check out my BL WiP, Lovecraft Academy!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Googaboga »

@ParrotWatcher
Yep, that's about the voiced name feature! When the Kickstarter ends, and if it's successful, there'll be a rewards survey sent out. One of the questions will be asking people if they want their name added. If they do they can just write their name down, answer the rest of the questions, and send in the survey.

After that we'll put the name to on the "voiced" list, have the VAs voice the name, and add that into the build. When the player starts a new game they'll have the option of opening the voiced name screen, scrolling through the options, finding their name, choosing it, and then being able to hear Cove say their name throughout the story as they play ^^.
In-Progress:
Released:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: ​Our Life: Beginnings & Always (Gender ChoicexM, Romance, Comedy, Drama) Kickstarter Live!

#12 Post by Googaboga »

The Kickstarter campaign for Our Life is now live! There's a bunch of neat rewards and plenty of new info on the game to check out. Please consider giving it a look-

Kickstarter Campaign

The demo has also been updated with various improvements and new content. It's linked on the campaign page. And thank you for all the support so far!
In-Progress:
Released:

CatyCats
Regular

Re: ​Our Life: Beginnings & Always (Gender ChoicexM, Romance, Comedy, Drama) Kickstarter Live!

#13 Post by CatyCats »

Ive played the Android version and I must day that the game was very fun! The concept is also very unique. I mean, you can create your own protagonist whether it's a boy or a girl, you can choose how you start, you can pick so many choices that effects the interactions with the guy. I was first sad with how my character did stuff, then when I chose a different choices and different start (relaxed, crush,..) and then it turns out differently. It's amazing how many choices you got in the game. Also it's fun to have many situations and the life itself (going through your teens,...).

I can't wait for it and I'm trying to share this on many sites where you can find otome news!
Goodluck! :D

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Googaboga »

@CatyCats
Thank you very much! I'm happy you enjoyed the demo and the different possibilities. I also really appreciate you sharing the game :D.
In-Progress:
Released:

fskfx

#15 Post by fskfx »

I’m so happy to see the success of the Kickstarter! (I booked it when I realized what day it was and am thankful I got to be an Early Bird haha)

This game is so unique and ambitious, I’ve not come across anything that even attempts to have half as much player input. Cove, and the rest of the cast, are so well written and likable and they still feel very real. I’ve never seen such believable child dialogue before.

I can’t wait to play, and this project is the sole reason time machines should exist. (Next year will be more than worth it though)