Blankspace is now LIVE on Kickstarter!
>> Kickstarter link! <<
Hey, guys! This is Nayru - the creator of SoulSet - writing.
Ever since our Kickstarter for Whiteheart Woods ended, I've been working on a new project of my own - and today, I finally wanted to share it here on the forums!
A short visual novel & point-and-click game. Solve puzzles and find your way out of a strange-looking room!
- It's a one-person project. I'm doing everything for it (aside from the music, which is currently royalty-free).
- I will do my utmost best to keep this project SHORT. Like 2-4 hours SHORT, MAX.
- The game is going to have only 2 main characters - Chris and Beryl.
- It's planned to be a visual novel with point-and-click/puzzle elements. I've no idea how to program a point-and-click game yet. But I had no idea how to program anything while starting to work on SoulSet, so I'm not about to let that stop me. As a certain someone said: "Where there is a will, there is a way." Lemma Soft Forums are your friend.
- Backgrounds will be in 3D style. I'm no BG Artist and I've been wanting to learn 3D modeling in Blender in pursuit of self-improvement for a long while now. I will also learn everything as I go. I want the setting to have a specific aesthetic to it.
- Character sprites will still be drawn/designed by me in 2D.
This story will have general mature themes, strong language, blood, alcohol consumption, sexual content, and will explore some dark topics, including abuse, depression, and suicide.
Please take note of this if you're sensitive to such things. Player discretion is advised.
At this point you're probably wondering, "Nayru, what kind of games are you writing?" I know, I ask that question myself sometimes, too.
My current goal is to crunch on this project until I'm able to produce a demo showing the first minutes of the game. Once that's done, I plan to hold a small Kickstarter just to gather funds for an original soundtrack - with partial voice acting as a stretch goal. Music is one thing I cannot create on my own, and holding a casting call and implementing voices into a project is something I'd like to challenge myself with in order to be able to make better games in the future.
That being said, I will need your help in making this project better as a whole. I hope you'll join me on this new gamedev journey!
Chris is the character we'll be playing as in Blankspace - here are the design sketches that will also be the base for his sprite variations.
Beryl is the heroine of Blankspace (if she can even be called that). When I pictured what kind of character I'd like her to be, my brain whispered: "let's make her worse than Marco"... Whatever that means is anyone's guess.
These are actually the main reason why I finally decided to make a post here.
I've spent the past two weeks in Blender. This is the result.
When I said I wanted the backgrounds in Blankspace to have a certain aesthetic to them, this is pretty much what I had in mind. (°∀°)
Initially, I was thinking of designing/drawing the items by hand, in 2D. But once I got the hang of things, it turned out modeling items went pretty fast (aside from the handcuffs... those handcuffs were hell to make). So that's a thing that's happening.
If you're interested in more frequent updates regarding the development, be sure to join NoBreadStudio's Discord channel!
I will be also posting updates on my Twitter.
Now, for the questions:
1. Chris or Beryl?
2. How does this kind of 3D aesthetic work with you? Do you like it?
3. How does the idea of a dialogue-heavy, story/character-driven "escape room" game click with you? Y/N?