Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room/Point-and-click][Mature Themes][BxG] OUT NOW!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nayru774
Regular
Completed: SoulSet, Blankspace
Projects: The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Tumblr: NoBreadStudio
itch: nobreadstudio

Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room/Point-and-click][Mature Themes][BxG] OUT NOW!

#1 Post by Nayru774 »

---
Hey, guys! This is Nayru - the creator of SoulSet - writing.
Ever since our Kickstarter for Whiteheart Woods ended, I've been working on a new project of my own - and today, I finally wanted to share it here on the forums!

A short visual novel & point-and-click game. Solve puzzles and find your way out of a strange-looking room!

Quick facts:
  • It's a one-person project. I'm doing everything for it (aside from the music, which is currently royalty-free).
  • I will do my utmost best to keep this project SHORT. Like 2-4 hours SHORT, MAX.
  • The game is going to have only 2 main characters - Chris and Beryl.
  • It's planned to be a visual novel with point-and-click/puzzle elements. I've no idea how to program a point-and-click game yet. But I had no idea how to program anything while starting to work on SoulSet, so I'm not about to let that stop me. As a certain someone said: "Where there is a will, there is a way." Lemma Soft Forums are your friend.
  • Backgrounds will be in 3D style. I'm no BG Artist and I've been wanting to learn 3D modeling in Blender in pursuit of self-improvement for a long while now. I will also learn everything as I go. I want the setting to have a specific aesthetic to it.
  • Character sprites will still be drawn/designed by me in 2D.

[Content warning]
This story will have general mature themes, strong language, blood, alcohol consumption, sexual content, and will explore some dark topics, including abuse, depression, and suicide.
Please take note of this if you're sensitive to such things. Player discretion is advised.

At this point you're probably wondering, "Nayru, what kind of games are you writing?" I know, I ask that question myself sometimes, too.

My current goal is to crunch on this project until I'm able to produce a demo showing the first minutes of the game. Once that's done, I plan to hold a small Kickstarter just to gather funds for an original soundtrack - with partial voice acting as a stretch goal. Music is one thing I cannot create on my own, and holding a casting call and implementing voices into a project is something I'd like to challenge myself with in order to be able to make better games in the future.

That being said, I will need your help in making this project better as a whole. I hope you'll join me on this new gamedev journey!

Characters:

Chris is the character we'll be playing as in Blankspace - here are the design sketches that will also be the base for his sprite variations.

Beryl is the heroine of Blankspace (if she can even be called that). When I pictured what kind of character I'd like her to be, my brain whispered: "let's make her worse than Marco"... Whatever that means is anyone's guess.

Backgrounds:

These are actually the main reason why I finally decided to make a post here.

I've spent the past two weeks in Blender. This is the result.
When I said I wanted the backgrounds in Blankspace to have a certain aesthetic to them, this is pretty much what I had in mind. (°∀°)

Initially, I was thinking of designing/drawing the items by hand, in 2D. But once I got the hang of things, it turned out modeling items went pretty fast (aside from the handcuffs... those handcuffs were hell to make). So that's a thing that's happening.

If you're interested in more frequent updates regarding the development, be sure to join NoBreadStudio's Discord channel!
I will be also posting updates on my Twitter.

Now, for the questions:
1. Chris or Beryl?
2. How does this kind of 3D aesthetic work with you? Do you like it?
3. How does the idea of a dialogue-heavy, story/character-driven "escape room" game click with you? Y/N?
Last edited by Nayru774 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Image Image Image

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle][BxG]

#2 Post by isobellesophia »

Omg, i cant believe those background images were made in blender? Cool!

Gonna look foward into this game, this is alot of effort going on, keep working on it! 😊

1. Chris or Beryl?

I would choose Beryl, i dont know why and it is a cool character.

2. How does this kind of 3D aesthetic work with you? Do you like it?

Of course i do! Because i never seen a novel game has a 3D background with it! Also, much look to realistic.

3. How does the idea of a dialogue-heavy, story/character-driven "escape room" game click with you? Y/N?

Yes, its great! Because it is more fun if there is only few characters introduced, i always love escape room games, espcially in android, it may had a plot twist, i always love it when it comes to escape room based game.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

Nayru774
Regular

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle][BxG]

#3 Post by Nayru774 »

@isobellesophia - Thank you kindly for your feedback! ^^ I'm glad to hear you like what you see so far and that you're looking forward to it! Here's to hope Blankspace can become the kind of game you'll enjoy. c:

I finally managed to finish sprites for both Beryl and Chris today!

Considering I got the great idea to make 3 pose variations while he has 3 outfit variations already, Chris-chan took me way longer than Beryl did on the drawing department... worth it. xd

I will be tackling expressions and their implementation next.
Image Image Image

Autumnotopia
Regular
Completed: Making Friends
Tumblr: autumnotopiadev
Github: autumngreenley
itch: autumnotopia

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room][BxG]

#4 Post by Autumnotopia »

Oh hell yeah, I'm always excited for mystery games (particularly with the subgenre escape room haha) so I'm looking forward to this. Also I appreciate when games respect my time and make themselves short, so 2-4 hours sounds great.

I always like the idea of doing background in 3d too, and yours look really nice! Do you have any mockups with the 3d background and 2d characters? I'm really interested in seeing how they play together.
A game about loneliness, chess, and fighting monsters with magic

Nayru774
Regular

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room][BxG]

#5 Post by Nayru774 »

@Autumnotopia - glad to hear you're looking forward to it, thank you! I'm a fan of escape room games myself, and this project has been a real joy to work on so far. :D I am also doing my utmost best to keep it short, but it just keeps writing itself... xD Guess we'll see how much it expands on me in the end, but the demo will definitely be around 30 minutes long since most of the script is already finalized for it. :)

I actually managed to implement the sprites and all expressions into the code by now, so here's how they look like! Everything is still without the interface, of course - I plan to tackle that next.

And here are some blinking animation gifs:

Image Image Image

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room][Mature Themes][BxG]

#6 Post by nerupuff »

I love the combination of 3d BGs and 2d sprites. There's a certain charm to it that I can't really explain. The result looks amazing, and I love the art style you've used for Beryl and Chris. They look unique! I'm so excited for this game!
How does the idea of a dialogue-heavy, story/character-driven "escape room" game click with you? Y/N?
Yes! I love escape rooms in general. The added suspense and problem solving that a point&click puzzle game makes it more interactive as well.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Nayru774
Regular

#7 Post by Nayru774 »

@nerupuff - Thank you for the kind words! c: I'm very glad to hear that the sprites look well with the 3D backgrounds.

Here's also a sneak-peek of the GUI design!

Script finalization for the demo comes next! The rough draft currently has over 6k words. That's more than the script for the WW demo (which is ~4,5k words), although the choice branching in Blankspace is a lot more heavy, so time-wise the demo might turn out to be similar in length.
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#8 Post by Nayru774 »

The demo script turned out to be over 7k words in the end!
Asset-wise, everything is practically done, aside from one CG.
I've started putting the demo together. I'm not sure how long the inventory and point-and-click elements are going to take me to make sense of code-wise yet, but here's to hope I'll be able to announce a demo release date during this upcoming week. Please look forward to it! (๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ

I'm happy to share with you some first actual in-game screenshots:

Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#9 Post by Nayru774 »

Well, guys... Mark your calendars!
Blankspace Demo release date - 10/10!
Please look forward to it! 💚

Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room][Mature Themes][BxG] DEMO RELEASE ON 10/10!

#10 Post by Nayru774 »

After working on it for almost three months, I'm happy to announce that the demo version of Blankspace is finally ready!💚
Check it out!

https://nobreadstudio.itch.io/blankspace

It's been a really fun experience working on this project so far, and I hope you guys will enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Blankspace will be coming to Kickstarter in October 2019, so keep an eye out!
Image Image Image

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room/Point-and-click][Mature Themes][BxG] DEMO OUT NOW!

#11 Post by Googaboga »

Congrats on the demo release! The game looks great :D
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Nayru774
Regular

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room/Point-and-click][Mature Themes][BxG] DEMO OUT - KS COMING 10/29!

#12 Post by Nayru774 »

Thank you kindly, @Googaboga! :D Glad to hear you like it!

I can make it official now - Blankspace will be coming to Kickstarter on 10/29!
>> Here's the Kickstarter link! <<

Press the "Notify me" button to get notified on launch!

I also finished putting together a trailer! Hope you like it!

Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room/Point-and-click][Mature Themes][BxG] KICKSTARTER LIVE!

#13 Post by Nayru774 »

Blankspace is now LIVE on Kickstarter!
>> Kickstarter link! <<

Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room/Point-and-click][Mature Themes][BxG] KICKSTARTER LIVE!

#14 Post by Nayru774 »

The Blankspace Kickstarter is going strong with 162 backers and 177% funded! The extended soundtrack stretch goal is in sight! (๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ

Today I've been showing some artbook sneak peeks!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/no ... ts/2675542

Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: Blankspace [Mystery/Puzzle/Escape Room/Point-and-click][Mature Themes][BxG] KICKSTARTER FINAL WEEK!

#15 Post by Nayru774 »

Hello, friends! The final week of the campaign is upon us! Time sure flies, doesn't it? _(:3 」∠)_

The reception for Blankspace has been very positive so far! It's truly heartwarming to hear whenever someone mentions that they are looking forward to playing the full game. It gives an additional boost in motivation! (๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ

Check out some great Demo Let'sPLays and Fanart that I shared in the latest update!

Jax - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/501482089
GirlGotGame - https://youtu.be/x2ZOxrcU8U0
Lamoleon - https://youtu.be/H5szfAP0u98

by Awnalia

by MstMori

by mintstea

Also, meet the composer! \(★ω★)/

I'm very happy to announce that OddTillTheEnd joined me to work on the Original Soundtrack for Blankspace!

Check out the first two tracks he composed in the update below!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/no ... ts/2680599
Image Image Image