[Demo] The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][RPG Elements][Romance][Space Opera] Releases on Steam and itch.io Feb. 4

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Chimaera9
Regular
Completed: Solar Echoes (Tabletop RPG)
Projects: The Star Legation (Scifi Visualnovel)

[Demo] The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][RPG Elements][Romance][Space Opera] Releases on Steam and itch.io Feb. 4

#1 Post by Chimaera9 »

Hello Everyone!

I'm Andy Mitchell, the writer and designer of the Solar Echoes RPG and the owner of Corefun Studios, LLC.
I'm excited to announce that I've been working on my first visual novel, The Star Legation!

Genre: Sci-Fi Space Opera, Adventure, RPG Elements, Romance, Dramedy, Mystery
TitlePageStarLegation.png

The Story
The Star Legation is a Sci-Fi Visual Novel game set during the pre-history of the Solar Echoes universe. You don't need any knowledge of Solar Echoes to enjoy the game, but you might notice some “easter eggs” if you're familiar. The story begins...

Soon after the alien races began to explore outside their own star systems, they discovered each other. Hostilities grew into skirmishes and eventually, wars. However, some still desired peace. We've been taught that the Interstellar Union was formed in the year 1,023 LN. And we've been told of the human, Trey Donovan, who led the peace legation to unite everyone across the stars.

Details beyond that are varied and embellished, but we do have records of Trey's past. This man, now considered a legend, was no diplomat. He grew up in entirely human-centric surroundings and had never ventured beyond human territories. He was banished to an exile colony after a dishonorable discharge from the military. He received no training for the peace legation that he supposedly led. Trey's only known redeeming quality was his leadership and success in bringing law to a planet overrun with criminals.

How did this man travel to alien worlds and speak before powerful leaders? How was this human able to convince those alien leaders to send a representative with him to join the Interstellar Union? How did he survive the dangerous journey through space among an alien crew, several which were technically still at war with each other? There are still many unanswered questions about Trey Donovan and his journey across the universe. What really happened aboard that starship?

Characters
Trey PortraitFULL2.png
Sarah PortraitFULL2.png
Daeon PortraitFULL2.png
Iyalen PortraitFULL2.png
Kaori PortraitFULL2.png
Oasu PortraitFULL2.png
Kitheya PortraitFULL.png
ChiraktisFULL.png
Archaeloid PortraitFULL.png

Game Features
The Star Legation is a Sci-Fi Visual Novel game full of intriguing alien characters, bizarre foreign cultures, and interstellar conflict. Navigate the complex personalities of your alien crew, negotiate with alien leaders, do battle if necessary, and even risk romance across the stars! Shape and experience your own fate!
  • The Star Legation’s beautifully authentic style blends realism with a cel-shaded, anime touch. Design, art, and audio create a unique space-opera atmosphere.
  • 100's of decisions to make in this choice-driven branching story
  • Experience an engaging narrative filled with intrigue, humor, science, treachery, and heart.
  • Detailed background art, cinematic camera work, expressive character sprites, and animated sequences make this visual novel a dynamic experience!
  • 32 possible endings (including 5 main endings)
  • Build relationships with memorable characters and develop a reputation that will alter the course of the story!
  • Over 20 hours of gameplay, with additional hours in alternate routes and endings
  • Awesome SciFi soundtrack by Andy Mitchell, featuring over 75 minutes of original music!
  • 15+ High Res CG's to unlock, designed by the talented artist, Aeghite!
  • RPG elements with 8 different character design skill choices to make
  • Hidden skill-related choices based on your character design that unlock extra routes
  • Optional Combat (auto-win option), or Challenge Mode
  • Optional Romance story routes with 2 human characters

Screenshots
KoturApproachsm.png
ScreenshotMPC.png
Screenshots6sm.png
CGTreySarahSm.png
Screenshots22.png
Screenshots15.png
Screenshots19sm.png

The Team
Story Design and Programming: by Andy Mitchell
Character Sprite Artwork: by John Fell and Aeghite
Starship Interior Background Artwork: by Alexis Rill and Aeghite
Starships, Space Backgrounds, and Planet Backgrounds: by Lee Madison and Aeghite
CG's: by Aeghite
Graphical User Interface: by John Fell
Music: by Andy Mitchell

Links
Visual Novel Webpage: https://www.starlegation.com/
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371 ... _Legation/
itch.io: https://corefunstudios.itch.io/the-star-legation
Tabletop RPG Webpage: http://www.solarechoes.com/
Solar Echoes Video Comic on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y29Hjfkm39g
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SolarEchoesRPG
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/solarechoesrpg/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SolarEchoesRPG

Questions for Forum Readers

What about this game interests you most? What doesn't interest you?
What's your impression of the game so far?
What do you think of the characters? Any favorites?
Since the game is based on the Solar Echoes RPG game universe, does that make you more or less interested in playing it?
Any other comments, questions, or feedback?
Last edited by Chimaera9 on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 36 times in total.

steve_T
Regular

Re: The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#2 Post by steve_T »

What about this game interests you most? What doesn't interest you?
SCI-FI I'm a sucker for scifi games

What's your impression of the game so far?
It looks very professional

What do you think of the characters? Any favorites?
it's too early to say I'd have to play to find out

Since the game is based on the Solar Echoes RPG game universe, does that make you more or less interested in playing it?
Never heard of the Solar Echoes universe

Any other comments, questions, or feedback?
I think I'll be subscribing for updates.

Chimaera9
Regular

Re: The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#3 Post by Chimaera9 »

Thanks so much for your responses! I'm glad you think it looks professional--that means a lot to me, since I'm doing this myself with the help of some excellent artists.
Thanks for your interest! I'll try to keep things updated here, too.
If you want to familiarize yourself with the Solar Echoes universe, check out some of those links (the Solar Echoes webpage, and the youtube video)
-Andy

Chimaera9
Regular

#4 Post by Chimaera9 »

A few new updates!
The talented artist, Aeghite, is now at work on the final CG that you'll earn if you survive to the end of the game! It's looking amazing--she's really going all out for an incredible piece of art!

I've successfully completed preparations for 3 of the 9 main character sprites--the 3 human characters. They had the greatest range of expressions, but I've sized and prepped all their art so they are ready for use when I start working on the demo. There is a HUGE range of expressions for the human characters, especially the protagonist! If you'd like some insider details, subscribe for my monthly insider email here:
https://solarechoes.us20.list-manage.co ... 75f74ec003

A quick question for everyone regarding the demo:
I'm thinking about having some choices greyed-out so you can see them but not select them. You'll be able to make a few choices in the demo, but you'll end up with one route at the conclusion of the demo. What do you think?

FerventWriter
Regular
Tumblr: writingandmore

#5 Post by FerventWriter »

I think having one concise route at the end of the demo is a good idea! It gives everyone the same experience, which is important if you want feedback on the same bits of game. I look forward to trying it out :)

Chimaera9
Regular

#6 Post by Chimaera9 »

Thanks for your thoughts, FerventWriter!
Good point about it being useful giving everyone the same experience for feedback. That will definitely help me with the development process.
I'm glad you're looking forward to trying it--knowing that makes me even more excited to put it all together for everyone!

Chimaera9
Regular

#7 Post by Chimaera9 »

The next insider update goes out tonight!

Sign up so you won't miss insider info and game developer tricks and how to inexpensively generate tons of character expressions!
Discover the method I used to enable the creation of 100's of expressions without having to commission each one individually!

SUBSCRIBE HERE:
SubscribeExpressionsAd.png

Chimaera9
Regular

#8 Post by Chimaera9 »

A brief update: It's been 2 weeks since I started programming in earnest, and I now have the intro sequence, the opening (scene 1), and most of the second scene finished, including animated sequences, sound effects, expressions, and music. The opening scene also has some cool RPG elements where you make choices about your character's skills, which have an effect on the story (you can get the best ending whatever you choose, but the story does have different parts depending on what you pick!)

It's moving along! I'm not sure how well I'll be able to keep my target pace of 1 chapter per week, but I can guarantee that the demo (first 3 to 5 chapters) will definitely be ready before spring. Keep in mind, this project has 35 total chapters, plus several additional battle sequences that I'm not counting as chapters.

My goal: have it completed by this time next year!
Kickstarter will run late winter, early spring, so keep your eyes open for announcements. If you want to be one of the first to know when it launches so you can get some of the high-tier limited backer awards, sign up for the monthly insider email here:

Here's a quick screenshot of our protagonist getting a starship tour:
Attachments
CargoBayScreenshotsm.png

Chimaera9
Regular

#9 Post by Chimaera9 »

A new video preview is available, including a few screenshots with short clips of some of the music I wrote for the upcoming Star Legation visual novel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dUV1T ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
StarLegationMusic.png

Chimaera9
Regular

Re: The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][RPG Elements][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#10 Post by Chimaera9 »

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to give you a brief update on the game--the demo is finished! Everything but the UI is complete, and I'm hoping that will be finished by the end of January. I've already sent the demo out to my internal beta-testers, and I've been getting lots of positive feedback so far.

The demo will be released online when I start my Kickstarter campaign, so I'll let you know when that goes live. If you'd like to be the first to know so you can grab some of those limited backer awards before they're gone, subscribe to my monthly insider email (with just your name and email) here:

Chimaera9
Regular

Re: The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][RPG Elements][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#11 Post by Chimaera9 »

Another update! I've made a promo video for the Star Legation and except for the voice acting (which will be done this week), the video is fully edited with sound effects and a scifi music composition I wrote. The video will be attached to the upcoming Kickstarter campaign, which will be launching in spring!

If you'd like to see the video early, sign up for the monthly insider email (link in previous post.) Insiders will be sent an unlisted youtube link to the video before it officially goes live.

Chimaera9
Regular

#12 Post by Chimaera9 »

The Kickstarter campaign for The Star Legation is launching late next week on March 19th!

The FREE demo will be available to play through the Kickstarter and on itch.io when the Kickstarter launches, so check it out if you're interested in playing the first 45 minutes of the game. I'll post here with Kickstarter and demo links next Thursday.

I'm excited to show everyone how development has been progressing with the game. Any support you can offer would be great, whether through pledges at Kickstarter or just helping me spread the word in social media. I'm doing all of this myself, so any help will be very appreciated!

The countdown has begun, only 7 days left!

Chimaera9
Regular

Re: [Kickstarter March 19] The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][RPG Elements][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#13 Post by Chimaera9 »

Here's a Youtube link to the new trailer for the game, which launches on Kickstarter this Thursday, March 19!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaIyLTd ... e=youtu.be

Chimaera9
Regular

Re: [Kickstarter March 19] The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][RPG Elements][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#14 Post by Chimaera9 »

Demo reviewed at Mid-LifeGamer Geek!

https://midlifegamergeek.com/2020/03/21 ... -legation/
Last edited by Chimaera9 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimaera9
Regular

Re: [Kickstarter is Live!] The Star Legation [Sci-fi][Adventure][RPG Elements][Romance][Space Opera][Dramedy][Mystery]

#15 Post by Chimaera9 »

Hi Everyone,
The Kickstarter for The Star Legation scifi visual novel launched today! Please check it out and see the game trailer, try the free demo, and check out all the cool awards you can get. Please consider backing this project, because it will enable me to afford the full development of the game. I am conident that I can deliver an awesome game for backers, with a memorable and meaningful story told through characters you'll really enjoy spending your time with!

Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... novel-game

Thanks for your interest and support!
Best,
Andy