Night and Day [BxB] [art and jazz themed] [DEMO available] [Full game released]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

Night and Day [BxB] [art and jazz themed] [DEMO available] [Full game released]

#1 Post by Ertal77 »

promo art2.png

Night and Day is a dating sim visual novel about art, coming of age and jazz music.

Our protagonist, Paul, moves to Paris in 1950, pursuing his dream of becoming a great artist. He will meet an assortment of other "bohemians" trying to live out their dreams, being it becoming a painter as Paul, a writer or a jazz musician.

DEMO AVAILABLE NOW!

Main characters:
Paul.png
Paul, the MC, is a bit self-conscious at first, coming from a small village where everyone knew him as the only gay boy in town. But he's a passionate and optimistic person and can get quite talkative when he gains confidence.

Emile.png
Emile has a caustic sense of humor but feels tired and disappointed in life. His only remaining passions are drinking and painting. He used to sleep around and is openly gay, and thinks nothing of social roles or moral.

Bernard.png
Bernard met Emile when working as a painters’ model, and they were in a relationship for a couple of years. They remain friends. Bernard works at a café and writes in the evenings, but his dream of becoming a great author is further and further away, so he’s going through a depression and rethinking his life’s choices.

Gilles.png

Gilles, undefined age (but he swears he’s 18). Romani, plays the guitar in the street. He’s cheeky, vibrant and passionate... and a liar. He acts childish and has a tendency to get in trouble, but he has lived too much for his age and can be cold and mean when he drops the façade of the cheerful and immature guy.

Ferdinand.png

Ferdinand works at night in the 55 Jazz Club as a barman, and watches full time over his elder sister, Ophelia, who sings in the club and is currently dating a mafia boss. He doesn’t trust people easily, due to a rough childhood and teenage years in the Antilles, going through hunger and abuse in different relatives’ houses. He always puts his sister before his own needs.

Planned features:
  • Four love interests.
  • Interactive map to choose the location you want to visit.
  • Skippable raising stats (they are not necessary if you just want to see the love interest's route, but it adds more endings and extra scenes).
  • Around 200k words.
The team:
  • Writing and coding: yours truly, Ertal.
  • Sprites and CGs: Marimo.
  • Backgrounds artist: Saedee.
  • Logo: Lizz.
  • Music: fricochet.
We have some main characters' sprites and some backgrounds ready!

I'll update the post once we have more art finished! But for now, what do you think? Do you like the setting? What love interest seems more appealing to you? What do you think of raising stats in a dating sim and the fact they are optional, yay or nay?

Looking forward to your feedback!
Remember we have a Discord server where you can follow the project and get regular updates! -->https://discord.gg/ZUFsg9v
And also a Patreon in case you want to support funding the game --> https://www.patreon.com/ertal
Last edited by Ertal77 on Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

DollhouseRose
Regular
Completed: Graveyard Girls & Starlight Shores
Projects: Graveyard Girls & Starlight Shores
Organization: Delphinium Interactive
itch: tidalblossoms

Re: Night and Day [BxB]

#2 Post by DollhouseRose »

First off, I love the premise of the story. The backgrounds are lovely, and I'm interested in playing already! I'm mostly curious about Bernard's story, so he would be my first pursuit :)

Piper
Regular
Projects: Refraction

#3 Post by Piper »

It's a very unique (in a good way) setting to put a visual novel in, and the resources you've posted are stunning. Best of luck moving forward. ^_^

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#4 Post by illuminate001 »

I also really like the setting...old Paris, how romantic! ^_^ It certainly touches on alot of things I blue sky'ed for myself when younger, living abroad, art, meeting creative and handsome foreign guys lol.

Looking forward to seeing what the LI's look like.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day

#5 Post by Ertal77 »

Sorry for the long radio silence!

Sadly, the main artist had to leave the project due to personal and family problems, so he's been replaced by Marimo and, with a bit of delay, the characters' sprites are being finished already. I've updated the main post with the characters' cards: only Ferdinand is missing from the main cast!

As you see, we are listening to the comments asking for POC characters and a more varied racial representation in LGBT games :wink:

illuminate001
Veteran

#6 Post by illuminate001 »

Ahhhh there ya are Ertal! :D

Ooh! The sprites look amazing! I'm really truly in love with them. Particularly Emile. lol. <3

I got an update in my email just now that the game is out(???) but when I go over to the itch site...there's no dl link?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ertal77
Veteran

#7 Post by Ertal77 »

illuminate001 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:01 pm
I got an update in my email just now that the game is out(???) but when I go over to the itch site...there's no dl link?
What. It's marked on itchio as "In development". itchio go home, you're drunk!

I'm happy you like our guys, though! :D

Ertal77
Veteran

Re: Night and Day [BxB] [commercial] [romance] [dating sim]

#8 Post by Ertal77 »

Updated the main post with the last love interest's character card: Ferdinand!

Added itchio and Patreon links and updated the characters' cards with the right height (sorry, guys, but imperial system is hard for the ones who are used to the metric system!)

Ertal77
Veteran

Re: Night and Day [BxB] [DEMO available)

#10 Post by Ertal77 »

The first public demo of Night and Day is now live! throws confetti

screenshot0159.png
screenshot0157.png
screenshot0135.png
What you will find on the demo:
  • The first two days and a half of Paul's new life in Paris! (around 10k words) We get to meet Ferdinand, Gilles and a bit of Emile.
    Stats system, Paris map and CG gallery implemented.
    Paul and all the love interests have finished sprites.
    All the necessary backgrounds are in the game, although two of them lack a night version.
    One CG.
There's a longer, more complete demo planned for next month, before the launch of the Kickstarter, that will include:
  • The first four days: Paul gets to know Emile better and meets Bernard.
    Stats screen implemented (showing calendar, stats, money, and affection points with each love interest).
    Denis, Nathalie and Ophelia will have finished sprites.
    The two missing night versions of the backgrounds will be there.
    One additional song.
    Two CGs more.
By the way, I'm taking out the flower shop scenes from the demo, except the first one, when we get some needed explanations: it would make the demo too long, and I don't know if people will be that interested about that part. Just so you know the complete game won't have just a "you go to work, you earn X points, X money": not my cup of tea. The finished game will show sprites for ALL the characters in the game, too.

Feedback is much appreciated! We need your comments in order to fix issues and improve the game!

Remember you can get frequent updates if you join our Patreon ;)

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)
Projects: BR ( WiP ), HC1 ( WiP ), SWaTSB ( WiP ), SD ( WiP ), H ( WiP )

#11 Post by LiamWinterdale »

This looks interesting! The art is gorgeous! I'll be sure to play the demo when I'm able ^^

As for feedback, I feel the textbox GUI doesn't quite match with the art. The color scheme feels too bold and out of place. Perhaps if it has the same color scheme as the logo, it would work?

Other than that, everything looks amazing! Great job! ^w^)b

Ertal77
Veteran

#12 Post by Ertal77 »

LiamWinterdale wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 pm
As for feedback, I feel the textbox GUI doesn't quite match with the art. The color scheme feels too bold and out of place. Perhaps if it has the same color scheme as the logo, it would work?
Yeah, the GUI will be changed. Some things are better left for the professionals :lol: I wanted to try my hand at making the GUI, but I really suck at design.

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)
Projects: BR ( WiP ), HC1 ( WiP ), SWaTSB ( WiP ), SD ( WiP ), H ( WiP )

#13 Post by LiamWinterdale »

Ertal77 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:41 pm
LiamWinterdale wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 pm
Yeah, the GUI will be changed. Some things are better left for the professionals :lol: I wanted to try my hand at making the GUI, but I really suck at design.
Ahh, I see~ hey, we all start somewhere!
I'm sure you'll get better with a lot of practice. It already looks quite nice as is. Just simply doesn't match with the rest of the art, is all. So you do have a talent in it, that's for sure. Good luck ^w^)b

Oh also, I heard this game has slight NSFW? If so, are all the love interests tops, or do we get to choose the protagonist's preferred position?

illuminate001
Veteran

#14 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Ertal,

Finally got around to completing the demo for Night & Day (btw I keep thinking for some reason the title is "Day & Night") a weekend ago.

- Music was great and so fitting to the mood and background.
- Character sprites are gorgeous! It made me reach out to Marimo for some art commissions as well!
- There were a few grammatical errors and run-on sentences, but nothing an english proofreader can't clean up
- I, personally, didn't find Gilles controversial in anyway and I wasn't offended by his portrayal
- I think there are far too many side characters with big enough roles that don't have a sprite. I find I'm looking more often at spriteless backgrounds than ones with sprites in them. Since the art is so goodlooking, I think there should be more sprites at least for Paul's roommates
- demo felt alittle short, but it was still sweet and didn't bother me too much, at being the length it's at

Anyways good luck with this game! Looking forward to the final!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ertal77
Veteran

#15 Post by Ertal77 »

LiamWinterdale wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:11 am
Oh also, I heard this game has slight NSFW? If so, are all the love interests tops, or do we get to choose the protagonist's preferred position?[/center]
I'll make it a Kickstarter stretch goal. If that goal isn't reached, some LI will top and others will bottom, but you'll have to find out which it is when you play it :lol:

(The NSFW scenes are few, two per route so far, but I wouldn't say they are light).