The Raintime [Psychological][Young Adult][Magical Realism]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
drinkerofmilk
Regular
itch: socah

The Raintime [Psychological][Young Adult][Magical Realism]

#1 Post by drinkerofmilk »

About
For the last months I have been working on a VN project titled The Raintime together with my dev workgroup. This is our first VN project, so we are very excited. It's a freeware visual novel, mostly linear, but with interactive elements. I recently uploaded a one chapter early access release on itch.io and Steam in order to get user feedback towards the final game. Besides adding four more chapters we are planning to build upon the early access version with increased interactivity, tighter graphics and sound effects, and better user interface, amongst other things.

The full game release is planned for Spring 2020.

Genre: Visual Novel, Young Adult
Play Time: 3-6 Hours (Early Access Mode: 1-2 Hours)
Mode: Single Player

Plot Summary
At first glance, William is a lazy college student. He spends his days sleeping in, skipping lectures, drinking with his friends and gathering up courage to talk to Jasmine, who's on the theater committee. But over the last few weeks, a mysterious restlessness has come over him. He's distanced himself from his friends, spends his time alone in his room and harbors thoughts that cannot bear the light of day . . .

Slowly, William is coming to the realization that the world he lives in is no more than an illusion. The city, the university, the artificial island upon which he lives, all are unnatural abominations against humanity, that need to be undone in order for history to take its due course.

Delve into William's mind as his last links to reality slowly unravel.

Screenshots
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Full size screenshots

Discussion
I'm really interested in both your opinions on the project in general, and on the early access version in particular. What do you think of the assets and storyline? How is the user interface? Do you feel like there are features missing in the game, that would make the game more enjoyable or accessible? Please let me know!

Links

FerventWriter
Regular
Tumblr: writingandmore

Re: The Raintime [Psychological][Young Adult][Magical Realism]

#2 Post by FerventWriter »

I really enjoyed the assets and the backgrounds! They were all very vibrant and unique-especially the graphic style. The story line was interesting too-it was all very melancholy, which I enjoy in games, and while I did not find the main character relateable, I was still interested in his story and the plot. The UI is also very clean and nice looking, and it's very simple to use. I think having a few more choices may make the game more enjoyable, but it was still an interesting experience that I really enjoyed.

drinkerofmilk
Regular
itch: socah

Re: The Raintime [Psychological][Young Adult][Magical Realism]

#3 Post by drinkerofmilk »

FerventWriter wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:19 pm I really enjoyed the assets and the backgrounds! They were all very vibrant and unique-especially the graphic style. The story line was interesting too-it was all very melancholy, which I enjoy in games, and while I did not find the main character relateable, I was still interested in his story and the plot. The UI is also very clean and nice looking, and it's very simple to use. I think having a few more choices may make the game more enjoyable, but it was still an interesting experience that I really enjoyed.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm planning to add more interactivity in the storyline for the final version. I'm still experimenting with ways to do this without completely messing up the storyline, as the scenario is mostly linear, but I'll find a way.