Sortition [GxB][Psychological][Mystery][DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dragonaqua

Sortition [GxB][Psychological][Mystery][DEMO]

#1 Post by Dragonaqua »

(from left to right: Erik, Jack, Lexi, Alex, Zach and Kieran)

Demo has been released! Finally! Sorry for the delay! \o/
Feel free to download it here: https://dragonaqua.itch.io/sortition

Post Demo Questions (if you don't mind answering, we would love your feedback :D ):

- How easy was it to maneuver around? (save, load, move around the cellphone, etc)?
- Were there visuals that negatively impacted your gaming experience? (ex: too bright/dark, big/small font size, etc)
- Did you enjoy the demo overall? Why or why not?
- Is there anything you disliked?
- Any recommendations or critique for a better gaming experience? Any points in the plot you feel could be better/seem confusing or lacking?
(Game details below)

If you could give up something that makes you who you are, would you?
It could be your wealth.
Your honesty.
Your intelligence.
Another’s existence.

As long as you consider that something to be the most important in your life, that is enough to be the price you must pay. For a second chance at life.

Sometimes, people feel their death is unfair, that it isn’t their time to die. That there's something they still want to do in life.
Those people are the ones who are noticed by beings called Fate Changers who watch over the world, beings who will give them a second chance.
But it will cost them. They can choose to take that chance and continue living their life as if their death never happened. Or...they can attempt to get back the price they paid to manipulate fate: by becoming a Defier and playing a game called Sortition.

This isn’t a grand tale about people trying to save the world. Nor is it about a great villain who will destroy it.
This is a story about one girl. A young lady named Alexandria Garnett who became a Defier and decided to participate in Sortition. Her most important person has forgotten her. She lives in a world where they will never be together. For this reason, she decides to fight to take back what she has lost.

- In Game Phone System with the following apps: Contacts, Message, Notebuddy and Sortition
- Map exploration
- RPG-inspired elements such as an inventory system and ability to accept/complete tasks
- 4 Routes planned with multiple endings for each

These are the main characters that will be introduced in the upcoming demo.

Alexandria Garnett (Lexi)
Description: A young lady who’s still a bit naive about the world. She lived her whole life going along with the flow and not really thinking of what she truly wanted. After college, she spent her days working odd jobs ranging from museum guard, dog walker and waitress.
She might not have a lot of money but she still tries her best to save enough every month to pay her rent on time.
Perhaps things were starting to look better for Lexi when a young man who’s the son of the CEO for a big company fell in love with her. She found herself in an entirely different world and didn’t have to worry about money.
They went on dates to extremely fancy places, she had many experiences that she never would’ve had with her current income.
However, perhaps fate was cruel, on the way from one of those fancy dates she finds herself a bit too close to death’s door. She makes a deal to come back to life in exchange for something important...

Erik Raines
Lexi's description: Who is this guy?? I met him as I was dying and he was somehow able to bring me back to life. He said he's not human and calls himself a Fate Changer. Even though he definitely sketchy, he doesn't seem like a bad person.

Alexander (Alex) Lloyd
Lexi's description: Talk about bad first impressions! Was he intentionally trying to get on my bad side? I feel like he was! I hope not all players in this game are like him. I'm trying to convince myself maybe he just had a bad day.

Kieran Aurelius
Lexi's description: A mysterious man who wants to be allies with me. What is he planning? I can't help but feel suspicious of him. It must be the gas mask.

Zachary (Zach) Vincere
Lexi's description: He's some kid that Kieran has told me to take care of. I'm not sure how I feel being the 'illegal' guardian to someone I barely know. The money was too enticing and I don't think Kieran would've taken no for an answer...

Jackson (Jack) Sinclair
Lexi's description: I would call guys like him a womanizer or player. He's the type of person who would hit on every female in a club then take them home or...worst, to some love hotel!

Hey all, Dragonaqua here. \o/ This is a visual novel I've been working on with a friend of mine. And finally decided it was time to get something out there to the public. My friend AZhang did the majority of the GUI designs/menu and phone screens that are in the screenshots. (Currently she doesn't have much of a social media presence so will update once she gives me something). I'm the writer, programmer, artist, etc, etc. I've been playing around with these characters since 2016 but finally got around to actually doing something with them. This will be a pretty straightforward visual novel with some stat raising/text messaging/phone features/exploration type of gameplay.

Some other details below on the game:

Price: Completely Free!
Most of the resources and assets I'll be using are non-commercial anyways.

Demo length:

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 1,772 dialogue blocks, containing 26,523 words and 140,859
characters, for an average of 15.0 words and 79 characters per block.

The game contains 8 menus, 288 images, and 41 screens.
Credits (will keep updating as I progress through the project):
Characters: Mainly done in MMD (because I don't trust my drawing skills but I trust my 3d models T-T )
Backgrounds, Music, Sound Effects will be free resources with some backgrounds from MMD as well

Again, feel free to download the demo and let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Dragonaqua on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Part time VN developer, full time programmer, sometimes artist, check out my new game~
Sortition [GxB][Psychological][Mystery][Work in Progress]
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=57101

Piper
Regular
Projects: Refraction

Re: Sortition [GxB][Psychological][Mystery]

#2 Post by Piper »

Oh my, this looks like it could be a lot of fun! I'm certainly interested in the world you're building here, as well as the extra elements of gameplay that will make it stand out. Good luck with this. :)

Dragonaqua

#3 Post by Dragonaqua »

Hiya! Glad you like what you see, thought i wasnt giving enough details on the world/settings >_<. Yeah i was thinking the gameplay will make things more interesting! XD Thanks and I'm working hard on the public demo currently, so hopefully it'll be fun \o/!
Part time VN developer, full time programmer, sometimes artist, check out my new game~

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

Looks very cool!
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Dragonaqua

#5 Post by Dragonaqua »

Googaboga wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:31 am Looks very cool!
Thanks!!

Getting feedback from proofreaders and last min tweaking on the demo so in the meantime, just another promo image :D

Some additional information on the game Sortition itself (even though the pic is of Alex =P). The goal of the game is pretty straightforward, earn enough Changer Points (the name of the point system) and you'll be able to "reverse" the price you paid to return to life.
In the game, one way to gain points is to complete "tasks" (speaking in RPG terms we can call the Quests) listed in the Sortition App. These involve fighting monsters in a place called the Silver Borderline. And how does one fight monsters? With a special magic called Phase (because every world needs their own special term for magic powers XD). Information on Phase is TBA some other time.

Dragonaqua

Re: Sortition [GxB][Psychological][Mystery][DEMO]

#6 Post by Dragonaqua »

Bumping for demo release! Feel free to check it out when you have some time! \o/