Northanger Abbey [Any x M, F] [Romance] [Comedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
spiral
Regular

Northanger Abbey [Any x M, F] [Romance] [Comedy]

#1 Post by spiral »

Some might consider you an unlikely protagonist for a dating sim. You have no mysterious childhood friends, no vanished memories, and not one dead parent to your name. But at seventeen you have finally been invited to your first season in Bath, and thus stand at the cusp of a great - and highly interactive - adventure.

What happiness lies before you! The happiness of a progress through a long suite of lofty rooms, exhibiting the remains of magnificent furniture, though now for many years deserted. The happiness of being stopped in your way along narrow, winding vaults, by a low, grated door.

Perhaps, even...romance? Dance, love, and discover the secrets of the Abbey!

Download Northanger Abbey at Itchio
Features:
  • Two love interests, one male and one female, as well as a friendship path.
  • Other characters to befriend- or alienate!
  • Choose your gender and presentation
  • Flip everyone's gender for a Regency England where women rule over men
  • Classical soundtrack
  • Screenreader support, descriptions of music and images, customisable font and text size
  • Walkthrough and guide to Visual Novels
There are two possible love interests:
  • Henry/Helen Tilney: A snarky priest with an eye for muslin.
  • Eleanor/Edmund Tilney: An artist with a quiet, dry wit.
Currently planned improvements:
  • Nicer sprite art. But feedback on the style and designs are welcome!
  • more of MC's internal thoughts, and more context for dialogue choices.
  • I may write paths for Isabella, Evelyn, and John (in that order of priority) but I want to get this base game good first.
Questions:
  • Does this description grab you? Anything I could do to make it better? Self promotion is so awkward /o\
  • What was your favourite part? Your least favourite?
  • If you like music in VNs, does the soundtrack work for you? I tend to turn music off in VNs so am not sure what appeals to those who don't.
  • Did you try out the matriarchy genderswap? What did you think?
  • Any other suggestions/reactions?
Also, the game and it's assets are released under a Creative Commons share alike licence! I intend on making a nice collection of all the backgrounds and posting it to itchio at some point, if anyone's after sketchily painted Regency England backgrounds.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Northanger Abbey [Any x M, F] [Romance] [Comedy]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Hey there! I don't have time to play this right now, but the synopsis really intrigues me! Regency era isn't my favorite thing in the world, but I really like that you can choose both your gender and presentation, that's something that you don't see a lot. I also like that there's a friendship path in addition to the romance options.

The matriarchy genderswap is a cool idea, Choice of Broadsides does this if the player character is female. I think it's a really interesting way to keep the very gendered norms of the time period without forcing them onto female players who might want to escape this. Will definitely look forward to getting a chance to try it!

I'm not an artist myself, so I can't give detailed feedback on the sprites, but I do like them as they are. I think maybe what they're lacking most is depth? The sprites are shaded, but I feel like it's not all where it needs to be and/or there isn't enough of it. The person on the right in the second screenshot also has a small head compared to her body, I think? I absolutely love all of the clothes though, especially that dress in the first screenshot!

Good luck with this! ^_^