Opona [Idol][Psychological Thriller][Comedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
rorycarson

Opona [Idol][Psychological Thriller][Comedy]

#1 Post by rorycarson »

"The cameraman told us not to talk anymore, so I put my head against the vibrating glass and went to sleep...

...then the clock tower woke me up"

------------------------------------------------------------------

STORY

Strawberry Fool is the worst entertainment agency in Canada, and Mia and Noah are two of it's least talented members,
but they're forced into the spotlight when their sleazy agent signs them up for an international singing reality TV show!

They'll face manipulative producers, shady editors and terrifying judges... and maybe even make some new friends along the way!

ABOUT

Opona is a visual novel with some light exploration and turn based dance battles (don't worry, there's no random encounters).

Mia and Noah are both playable characters, the story switches between their perspectives.
The choices you make in-game will determine their friendship, as well as their success in the competition.

Once you step on set, the cameras are always rolling, so be careful not to say anything that can be taken out of context;
the editors and producers have the power to make you a perfect idol or a reality TV show villain!

CHARACTERS

I'll post more characters in this thread soon!

DEVELOPMENT

If you'd like to follow the development of Opona you can find me here:

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/rorycarzon/

Twitter - https://twitter.com/rorycarzon

Right now I'm working on the demo which consists of the first 20-30 minutes of the game.

The demo's almost ready so I'm hoping to release it sometime in May 2020!

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the game, I'll be posting more updates here soon!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Opona [Idol][Psychological Thriller][Comedy]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This is a fascinating concept. I'll be looking forward to the demo. (:

rorycarson

#3 Post by rorycarson »

Zelan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:22 pm This is a fascinating concept. I'll be looking forward to the demo. (:

Ah thanks so much Zelan!

The demo should be ready in the next week or two, I'll post a link here once it's finished! (:

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

This sounds like such a cool concept! I'm really interested in seeing what kind of dialogue choices I'll have to avoid saying things that can be taken out of context, and I want to do some dance battles! I'm always excited to see VNs that take place in Canada too.
ImageImageImage

rorycarson

#5 Post by rorycarson »

parttimestorier wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:45 am This sounds like such a cool concept! I'm really interested in seeing what kind of dialogue choices I'll have to avoid saying things that can be taken out of context, and I want to do some dance battles! I'm always excited to see VNs that take place in Canada too.

Thank you! I'm going to release the demo on Friday the 8th of May, I'll post a link here if in case you feel like having a dance battle (:

rorycarson

#6 Post by rorycarson »

The free demo for my game Opona is now available!

I'd love to get some feedback on it.

The full game is still in development, but this demo is around 20-30 minutes long.

You can find the demo here:

https://rorycarson.itch.io/opona

It's around 80MB and it's available for PC and Mac (:

Cheers!

rorycarson

#7 Post by rorycarson »

Thanks to everyone who downloaded the demo for Opona so far, I used some of your feedback from this week to fix some bugs and rough edges in the demo.

Here's a list of the stuff that's changed:

Changes from 1.0 to 1.1
  • Mia and Noah can now heal each other in battle, I'm so excited by this! They were being too selfish before...
  • I added a 'click to continue' icon in the text box.
  • You can no longer eat infinite lemon cakes, or blow away infinite eyelashes, sorry.
  • The icon for the .exe file is now an orange O instead of the default Ren'py icon.
  • You can now see a text log of your conversation by clicking the History tab in the Quick Menu at the bottom of the screen.
  • Evelyn's surname was changed from Ivanova to Ivanenko to reflect her Ukranian background.
  • I edited some of the songs so they loop correctly.
  • I added some auto text dismissing in the battles so you don't have to click as much.

Special thanks to Zelan, AlexNumbers and CoolerMudkip in for highlighting these issues so I could fix them!
As always, feel free to comment here if you have any feedback or questions, or you can catch me on twitter @rorycarzon.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

I went ahead and did a quick play of this again just cause it was so cool :> all the changes are working!

rorycarson

#9 Post by rorycarson »

Zelan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:56 pm I went ahead and did a quick play of this again just cause it was so cool :> all the changes are working!

Thank you! Phew, I'm glad everything's working ok, now I can get back to working on the rest of the game :D

rorycarson

#10 Post by rorycarson »

Hi! It's been so long since I posted about this, I took a long break in 2020 after the demo came out.. but I've been working on it again this year and it's changed a lot! :)

There are a lot more characters, I updated the sprites and now they blink and their mouths move when they talk.

There are more locations too, and you can explore them in first person and find items, like a point and click adventure game.

The dance battles are the main thing I haven't gotten around to updating yet... :? but I'll tackle that soon

Anyway, I'm excited about the project, so I made my first video devlog about it a couple days ago.

I show off some new gameplay, characters and music, so check it out if you're curious about how it's coming along!