Drops of Death [Murder Mystery][Otome / Boys Love / Girls Love]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mikomi
Veteran

Drops of Death [Murder Mystery][Otome / Boys Love / Girls Love]

#1 Post by Mikomi »

key art 1 banner.png

One cold winter night, Adrien goes for a quick exercise at the campus gym. While taking a break in the hot tub, a shrouded assailant murders a group of swimmers and attempts to kill Adrien as well. While Adrien is able to get away, the killer is still on the loose…

Drops of Death is a murder mystery dating sim visual novel about Adrien, the key witness in the murder of four college students, attempting to survive the week following the murders while also get back to normal life. There are 3 love interests- the classmate, Edwin; the swimmer’s ex-teammate, Natasha; and the homicide detective, Singh.

One of them is the killer. …Or maybe, all of them?

sprite lineup bust crop.png

At the start of every game, one of the love interests is randomly selected to be the killer. You won’t be able to trust any of them. Every route will have multiple endings depending on your choices and who the killer is.

adrien 23904809248 together.png

Adrien can be female, male, or non-binary, with a feminine or masculine appearance to pick from. There will be minor changes in the story depending on Adrien’s gender, but Adrien is able to date all 3 love interests regardless of their gender.

Team

Character art, writing, scripting - MikomiKisomi
Marketing - foleso
Backgrounds - Arctic Fox
Music - TBD

Social Media

TwitterInstagramDiscordNewsletter

Miko here! This is my next otome project that I'll be writing while the RPG battles in Asterism are worked on and tested, with this project hopefully releasing in 2021 after Asterism. I'm hoping to make this my most polished project yet with lots of CGs and lots of replay value- after all, the true killer changes with every playthrough! Don't worry too much about the randomization- once you meet the characters they start displaying different ticks if they're the killer or not, so there will be a lot of smaller and larger variations.

Once I release more info I'll update this thread with character bios, mock screenshots, etc. Until then, I hope this sounds interesting enough!

Questions

What interests you most about this project?
What worries you about this project?
Anything you'd like to see in the game?

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Re: Drops of Death [Murder Mystery][Otome / Boys Love / Girls Love]

#2 Post by illuminate001 »

Ok so can I say how much I dig this idea?! What I mean is the concept that the killer can change and isn’t always the same. First off, I really wanted to do something like this for LMA somehow. But in the end it wouldn’t have worked for the game. (Also I’m a terrible scripter and would not be able to build a system that cool and complex lol)

My idea was that the killer would change based on the MCs choices. But the fact that your killer is set randomly once you’ve started a new play through, is likely the best way to do it in hindsight.

Anyways, good luck on Drops of Death, Mikomi! I’m stoked to see how the game turns out ✌🏼
ImageImage
ImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#3 Post by parttimestorier »

This sounds really cool! I'd love to learn more about the love interests, especially Natasha.

One thing I'm wondering about, since I usually like to 100% VNs, is how possible it will be to get every variation of a route. It sounds like there will basically be nine possible routes with each combination of love interest and random murderer, right? Will it be completely random every time, or will it be more likely to choose a variation you haven't done yet? I'm just imagining that, for instance, I might really want to get the version of Natasha's route where she's the murderer, but every time halfway through I keep finding out one of the other love interests is the murderer and restarting because I've already done those ones.
ImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Adrien is really cute, I love both of their designs. Also just BIG eyes emoji at the entire concept.

Mikomi
Veteran

#5 Post by Mikomi »

illuminate001 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 pm Ok so can I say how much I dig this idea?! What I mean is the concept that the killer can change and isn’t always the same. First off, I really wanted to do something like this for LMA somehow. But in the end it wouldn’t have worked for the game. (Also I’m a terrible scripter and would not be able to build a system that cool and complex lol)

My idea was that the killer would change based on the MCs choices. But the fact that your killer is set randomly once you’ve started a new play through, is likely the best way to do it in hindsight.

Anyways, good luck on Drops of Death, Mikomi! I’m stoked to see how the game turns out ✌🏼
Thank you so much!! I haven't started scripting the writing but my current plan is a lot of if statements in different parts haha. I'll probably have the randomizer pick a number, and depending on the number it'll set the killer variable to a string (the string being the LI's name) and then check that when I need specific lines of dialogue. Ah, we'll see later on!

Thank you! ♥
parttimestorier wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:59 am This sounds really cool! I'd love to learn more about the love interests, especially Natasha.

One thing I'm wondering about, since I usually like to 100% VNs, is how possible it will be to get every variation of a route. It sounds like there will basically be nine possible routes with each combination of love interest and random murderer, right? Will it be completely random every time, or will it be more likely to choose a variation you haven't done yet? I'm just imagining that, for instance, I might really want to get the version of Natasha's route where she's the murderer, but every time halfway through I keep finding out one of the other love interests is the murderer and restarting because I've already done those ones.
Thank you!! I'm still outlining the routes beyond the demo section but I think Natasha's will be the most emotional, as she's the only one who knew most of the victims.

On the first playthrough it's randomized, but once you finish one playthrough you'll be able to either play another playthrough randomized or pick who the killer is from the get go. That way you can still have the randomized experience at any point or go in knowing who to avoid (or who to pursue).
Zelan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:49 pm Adrien is really cute, I love both of their designs. Also just BIG eyes emoji at the entire concept.
Haha, thank you Zelan! ♥