Demon Valley [GxB] [Slice-of-life, Medieval/fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
akrasia
Projects: Demon Valley
Organization: Green Cheek Studio
itch: greencheekstudios

Demon Valley [GxB] [Slice-of-life, Medieval/fantasy]

#1 Post by akrasia »

twitter || itch link TBA

Demon Valley is an upcoming medieval fantasy visual novel developed by indie game developer, Green Cheek Studios. The current plan is to finish commissioning the art and developing the programming for the alpha demo to go hand-in-hand with the kick-starter in late November. Most of the assets will be paid for prior to the kickstarter, which is mainly being done to assist with funding CG's, so this game KS or not, will be happening! I(Jess) hope to be posting regular updates here, as well as eventually on my twitter and considering setting up regular devlogs on the itch page when it's set up.

Price:
Undetermined

Rating:
16+

Warnings:
Infrequent strong language,mild suggestive content, psychological issues and racism.
All subjects will attempted to be handled as delicately as possible, the opinion of the characters does not reflect the opinion of the writer.

Features:
Three love interests

Ten+ endings

Undetermined number of CG’s

Script size, roughly 300k min

The game is, at it's core, a slice-of-life game set in a medieval fantasy setting.
It follows Aisling as a child living in the Valley, and then as an adult after a time skip.
The choices you make as Aisling not only impact her life, but the life of all those in the Valley.

Synopsis:
It is said that when a cursed child, a demon, or anyone different from the perceived norm feels threatened that the way to Demon Valley, a sanctuary for those who would be punished for the appearance or skills that they’re born with, will be made known to them.

Aisling is eight when she discovers that she’s not as 'normal' as what she had previously believed. Fleeing her home and everything she knew, she stumbles upon a stranger that helps guide her on her way to safety. In her new home she makes new friends and grows in the safety of a sanctuary hidden in the mountains. As she reaches into adult hood however, she learns that Demon Valley isn’t as safe as what she was first told.

Aisling will have to discover who she’s able to truly trust and if the decisions she makes will either help, or bring more danger to those living in Demon Valley.

Characters:
Aisling(re-nameable)
Confident and kind, can be a bit stubborn.
Depending on how she deals with situations early on will impact how she's able to deal with them later.

Bear
(Meets Aisling when he's eight)
Goofy and lovable beam of sunshine. Has been known to talk too much and become overly excited.

Kye
(Meets Aisling when he's nineteen, there is nothing romantic until Aisling is an adult)
An elusive, sarcastic man who can be kind in the strangest sorts of ways.
Tends to be unfiltered in how he speaks to people and enjoys keeping people on their toes.

Talon
(Meets Aisling when he's thirty-five)
Quiet, reserved and patient. Can become nervous in social situations, likes to keep busy.

Side Characters

BG's
ImageImage

Credits:
Writer/Programmer: Jess, Green Cheek Studios
Sprites/CG's: Rosariy || dA, twitter
Backgrounds: Maciej Ptasiński || dA, artstation
Main screen CG: Niken Anindita || dA
Logo: Re.Alice || website

Still/will/may be looking for: Editor, possible co-writer, composer, video editor for short trailer & programmer for assistance.

Optional Questions:
Which character caught your attention the most?
What do you expect to see in DV?
What would you like to see in DV?
How would you prefer to be updated? Where are you most likely to see an update?
At this stage I would prefer to have a non-customizable MC for my first project, will this stop you from trying the game?

Game progress:

Outline: 90% - Mostly done, things being added as script is written
Script: 20%
Character Sprite: 100%
Programming: 10%
Backgrounds : 55%
Songs & Sound Effect: 0%
GUI: Currently using a premade one

Updates:

3rd October 2020: Updated the progress, as well as some info, posted some examples of the BG's and side characters!
13th November 2020: Minimal progress due to sickness. :( Working on it when I can!
19th March 2021: Ended up hospitalized, so VN development ground to a halt. Fit as a fiddle at the moment so getting back into the swing of it and hope to provide a better update next month, and then monthly from then on. Getting in contact with the artists I was working with, and back into writing!
Last edited by akrasia on Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

akrasia

Re: Demon Valley [GxB] [Slice-of-life, Medieval/fantasy]

#2 Post by akrasia »

Hello!

I had wanted to do updates more frequently but, 2020, right? Better late than never!

The outline was previously at 80%(and the script at 10%) but I hit a snag while writing and some of it had to be jiggled around which ended up taking more time than I would have liked. There was still progress though, so very happy with that!

Rosariy has finished all the sprites now, I've added in a sample image for the side characters who I'm in love with, they're so beautiful!

Maciej has been working hard on the backgrounds and they're coming along very nicely. The BG's created are being uploaded to Maciej's deviantart if anyone wants to check that out!

I've been on the waiting list for Re.Alice to do the logo design and had an email about it this week with it going ahead so I can't wait to share that.

Niken has finished the main screen CG which I'll be sharing at a later update(Hint: It's stunning, have you seen Niken's deviantart page?!)

Lastly, but not related to DV, I've been watching the progress of a game that I am very excited for.

The Azimuth Gap = The demo is out now, check it out!

Have a good October everyone,

<3 Jess

akrasia

#3 Post by akrasia »

Hello!

The past month not much as happened because I've been sick for most of it! However, I've been doing little bits where I can to try and keep the progress moving ahead.

Maciej has completed two more backgrounds, and I received the DV logo back from Re.Alice which I'm in love with! I've added it to the top of the main post. I've also started working on setting up an itch page that I'll update at the same time as I update this thread.

Because I've had a lot of headaches that have made it difficult to be on the computer, I've mainly written tidbits on paper to place into the story and created a physical tracker/inspiration board which now sits on my desk. I'll share pictures of that below, as well as a cropped image of the beautiful main screen CG from Niken.

Have a good November and enjoy getting into the Christmas spirit if you celebrate it!

<3 Jess
ImageImageImageImage

caibanh

#4 Post by caibanh »

1/Which character caught your attention the most? - the small heroine LOL (is it bad?) then Talon.
2/What do you expect to see in DV?/What would you like to see in DV? - welp, maybe I'll go back to answer this after try the demo
3/How would you prefer to be updated? Where are you most likely to see an update? - Any update is fine but you should keep it monthly. But I see ppl mostly attract to art update.
4/At this stage I would prefer to have a non-customizable MC for my first project, will this stop you from trying the game? - No. If the game can't be a strongly customizable MC the I much prefer a non-customizable MC.

akrasia

#5 Post by akrasia »

caibanh wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:18 am 1/Which character caught your attention the most? - the small heroine LOL (is it bad?) then Talon.
2/What do you expect to see in DV?/What would you like to see in DV? - welp, maybe I'll go back to answer this after try the demo
3/How would you prefer to be updated? Where are you most likely to see an update? - Any update is fine but you should keep it monthly. But I see ppl mostly attract to art update.
4/At this stage I would prefer to have a non-customizable MC for my first project, will this stop you from trying the game? - No. If the game can't be a strongly customizable MC the I much prefer a non-customizable MC.
Thank you so much for your response! My attempt at frequent updates fell off the planet as my health deteriorated, but now that is back on track as well as VN development I hope to have monthly updates from now! (I'll admit I probably should have done an update earlier about my health, but it was early enough in the development that I hoped no one would notice. :twisted: )

No! Considering the small heroine is the first character seen, for obvious reasons lol, I'm glad she caught your attention! I've just been writing some of Talon's route and I'm really enjoying it so far, so if you play it then I hope you like him!