Dog Days of Summer [GxB] [Slice of Life] [VN] [FREE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Lantern_Monster
Projects: Dog Days of Summer
itch: lanternmonster

Dog Days of Summer [GxB] [Slice of Life] [VN] [FREE]

#1 Post by Lantern_Monster »

LAST EDIT: 2021/10/20

Mana Yoshida (given name changeable), a final year university student has returned to her home in the countryside for Obon. There she gets to spend the two weeks before the festival with her two stepbrothers while their parents are away on a cruise. Will this holiday be like all the others in the past, or perhaps something more...?

CHARACTERS
Mana Yoshida
吉田真夏

A final year university student returning home for the first time in almost a year.
Bright and outgoing, but stuck in the middle of job searching for after graduation, she's not quite sure what to do with herself.
Hoping to find some answers while she's back home for Obon.

Hikaru Yoshida
吉田光

A normal salary man, a few years older than Mana.
Considered the capable one of the two brothers, however has his own issues.
Keeping the fact that he was laid off from his job a secret from his family saying he’s taken time off to visit during the festival season.

Reo Yoshida
吉田礼央

A freeter living at home, couple years younger than Mana but not currently attending university.
Has a bit of an inferiority complex because of his older brother, ‘the smart, capable one’.
Good at the piano.

PROJECT INFO.
SUMMARY
This is just a small FREE project that I've been working on recently. It is (hopefully) both a Japanese and English language project.
As is obvious from the synopsis and character descriptions, this is an otome game where the two obtainable characters are the non blood related brothers (I know thematically that can be a turn off for some people, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine in visual novels, and I desperately wanted to try my hand at making one).
It is a linear story which takes place over a two week period running up to the local summer festival.

GENRE
Slice of Life

LENGTH
(Planned) short, likely only 2 or 3 hours.

FEATURES
・Japanese language version
(possible) English language version
・2 obtainable characters
・4 endings (2 per character)
(planned) 4 CGs
・2 extra scenes (1 per character)

PROGRESS
・Planned BGs COMPLETE
・UI 90%
・Planning/plotting 100%
・Japanese script 30%
(possible) English script 0%
・Programming 70% (basically waiting on finishing the actual story writing)
・Character art 0%
・CGs 0%

The main menu, showing idle, highlighted, and unavailable menu buttons.

In-game example with placeholder sprite.

Some background images.

STAFF
BG・UI・Story・Scripting・Translation→ Lonely old me.
Music・SFX→ See Resources

RESOURCES
・All BG images are sourced from Unsplash and edited by me.
・As of February 2021 all graphics and writing is being undertaken by me alone.
・All graphics/image editing is done in Krita (free and open source, a lifesaver for someone who can't afford PS).
・Japanese fonts were downloaded free from https://fontfree.me/ (free for commercial use fonts also available)
・All music and SFX resourced from the following sites; 魔王魂, TAM Music Factory

A little about me. I'm not an artist, nor a programmer, therefore this will not be a very complex or long game (probably not that pretty to look at either). I'm just someone who loves visual novels and otome games and was desperate to make my own.

At this point I'm working 100% by myself, which I honestly don't mind. It just means it's fairly slow going (particularly when it comes to coding sigh.

Originally I was only planning to do a Japanese language version, but I would like to see if there's any interest for perhaps an English translation as well?

Does this sound like an interesting game? Boring? Does my lack of artistic talent show through too horribly?

Really I’m making this more for my own satisfaction than for a particular audience, so whether there’s interest or otherwise the project will continue!
Last edited by Lantern_Monster on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

Re: Dog Days of Summer [GxB] [Slice of Life] [VN] [FREE]

#2 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Your English is pretty good, I'd like to help if I can understand Japanese (which sadly I'm not).
Good luck on finishing it~ (from one man army colleague)
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Lantern_Monster

#3 Post by Lantern_Monster »

tiya_nofurita wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:01 am Your English is pretty good, I'd like to help if I can understand Japanese (which sadly I'm not).
Good luck on finishing it~ (from one man army colleague)
Originally my first language is actually English! But I live in Japan, so these days it's less effort to write in Japanese first.

Thank you for the encouragement!

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#4 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Cool. Let me know if you want to publish on Android, I happen to have google play developer account :) and it's not I make VN myself that many, so it's kinda...empty. Would be glad to hosted freeware VN that I support!
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Lantern_Monster

#5 Post by Lantern_Monster »

UPDATE AS OF 2021/10/20:

I hadn't quite realised how long it had been since I last made an update on this project.

Good news is it's still alive for anyone interested in it. Progress has been made on the script and plotting/planning is 100% complete!

Script writing is now going smoothly and should have a complete Japanese language version complete by the end of December. Work has also slowly begun on another project, which I hope to bring more information for soon!