Dating Sim! Re:Mastered [BxG][Comedy][Released]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

Dating Sim! Re:Mastered [BxG][Comedy][Released]

#1 Post by thebackup »

2021/9/27: DSRM is set to be released on 2021/10/26. You can listen to voice samples of the characters in the meantime!
2021/6/21: DSRM site is now open! Please check it out here.

About
Dating Sim! Re:Mastered is a remake of a VN I created in 2008 as a final project for college. You can check out the original project here, however it's unplayable due to Flash's deprecation on December 31, 2020 (there are Flash emulators if you're interested in playing it). Said deprecation is primarily the reason for the remake, or more appropriately, "requel" (remake + sequel).

Story
After a particularly rough night, the protagonist of Dating Sim crawls into bed to forget his loneliness as yet another day of him being single passes by. When he awakens, the protagonist discovers that it’s actually May 30, 2020, twelve years after his nap!

What’s more, the protagonist finds that he’s still in college and still hasn’t found a girlfriend. While usually a successful student, the protagonist is now struggling to maintain his grades and his luck with the ladies hasn’t improved one bit.

Polishing up his grades may be hard but with your help, finding a girlfriend may not be! Can the protagonist win over his dream girl with this new chance he’s been given?

Features
  • Free!
  • A major improvement over the first Dating Sim - updated story, new characters, and updated graphics
  • Three lovely girls, each with their own quirks
  • A short but silly and comedic VN as you "help" the protagonist find a girlfriend
Characters

ImageImageImage

Paulina (left girl)
CV: Sayaka Mashiro
Paulina is a timid girl who gets startled easily. She’s never dated anyone before because she feels that most guys tend to objectify females and only date them for sex. As a result, it can be difficult to get close to her, let alone ask her out.

Cecilia (center girl)
CV: Kaylyn Newell
Cecilia is a popular girl at the protagonist’s college with a high-and-mighty attitude. Like Paulina, it’s difficult to ask Cecilia out for a date but not for the same reason. Cecilia looks down upon otakus, seeing them as stereotypical losers who can’t get laid.

Luna (right girl)
CV: Maria Griffin
Luna is considered a pervert because she’s always talking about things like cybersex but this makes her more approachable than Cecilia and Paulina when it comes to romantic advances. Luna is at the top of her class and may be able to help the protagonist boost his grades.

Progress
  • Script: 100%
  • Sprites: 100%
  • Backgrounds and CGs: 100%
  • Music: 100%
  • Programming: ~80%
  • Voices: ~90%
Screenshots
ImageImageImage

Any questions / comments / suggestions?
I'll mainly be reporting progress here, but any ideas / constructive criticism are welcome!
  1. Initial thoughts?
  2. Which of the three girls do you like?
  3. Have you played the prequel (the Flash "Dating Sim" as stated above)?
  4. If you have, any ideas to add on to the requel?
  5. Anything else...?
Last edited by thebackup on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offworlder
Regular

Re: Dating Sim! Re:Mastered [BxG][Comedy]

#2 Post by Offworlder »

Hi! It looks like the site you're linking your images from doesn't allow embedding on external sites, so all of the images show as little white boxes with "hotlinking not allowed" written inside (even the ones in your signature and avatar!). You could perhaps try uploading them to something like Imgur? I did check out the original project you linked to. The art is quite good! I look forward to seeing the new art for this one. ^_^

EDIT: Just so you know, the images are also broken on the threads for Café Memoria and All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, as well as the banner at the top of the Wordpress site linked in your signature.

I'm saying all this just in case the images don't look broken for you, since I've experienced that before. If you can already see that they're broken...all of this is going to sound really unecessary. xD;

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer

#3 Post by thebackup »

Offworlder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:37 pm Hi! It looks like the site you're linking your images from doesn't allow embedding on external sites, so all of the images show as little white boxes with "hotlinking not allowed" written inside (even the ones in your signature and avatar!). You could perhaps try uploading them to something like Imgur? I did check out the original project you linked to. The art is quite good! I look forward to seeing the new art for this one. ^_^

EDIT: Just so you know, the images are also broken on the threads for Café Memoria and All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, as well as the banner at the top of the Wordpress site linked in your signature.

I'm saying all this just in case the images don't look broken for you, since I've experienced that before. If you can already see that they're broken...all of this is going to sound really unecessary. xD;
Really? It looks fine on my end (using Firefox). Is anyone else getting a hotlinking error?

I've uploaded these images on my hosting account, and I did change the hotlinking settings a couple days ago (was changing some URLs from http to https)... did a double check and I can certainly say that Lemma soft is already added to a list of URLs allowed to hotlink (as well as my Wordpress blog).

EDIT: Okay I've changed some settings... do let me know if they're showing correctly (try the Wordpress site as well)!

Offworlder
Regular

#4 Post by Offworlder »

thebackup wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:37 pm Really? It looks fine on my end (using Firefox). Is anyone else getting a hotlinking error?

I've uploaded these images on my hosting account, and I did change the hotlinking settings a couple days ago (was changing some URLs from http to https)... did a double check and I can certainly say that Lemma soft is already added to a list of URLs allowed to hotlink (as well as my Wordpress blog).

EDIT: Okay I've changed some settings... do let me know if they're showing correctly (try the Wordpress site as well)!
Still not working, unfortunately! I checked all locations, but it's the same as before. It actually shows the standard broken image icon, but switches to the "hotlinking not allowed" box if I try to right-click and open one of the images in a new tab (which I did before as well). I imagine you can see them because you're the uploader. If possible, you could perhaps test from another device that isn't signed into your account/doesn't have the original images saved?

thebackup
Veteran

#5 Post by thebackup »

Offworlder wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:59 pm Still not working, unfortunately! I checked all locations, but it's the same as before. It actually shows the standard broken image icon, but switches to the "hotlinking not allowed" box if I try to right-click and open one of the images in a new tab (which I did before as well). I imagine you can see them because you're the uploader. If possible, you could perhaps test from another device that isn't signed into your account/doesn't have the original images saved?
Okay, I just tested on another computer and on my smartphone, and they all appear to look fine. Though, are you using Chrome? Because it totally looks fine on Firefox, but when I gave it a whirl on Chrome I get the same exact problem you've described.

Opening the console reveals a message similar to the following: "Failed to load resource: too many redirects" as a reason for not loading the images. Are you getting that message? A quick google search reveals you might have to clear the browser cache (including cookies), and maybe disable addons / plugins.

If that doesn't work, I'm really sorry about that! I've tried checking my server settings and I don't see anything out of the ordinary, I might have to contact my hosting provider's tech support.

It'll help if anyone else lets me know that they're experiencing the same problem, too.

(For the record, does my PixaelSoft site look fine, or is it broken?)

EDIT: Okay, I believe I corrected the problem... let me know if the images are showing now (including in my Wordpress blog)!

Offworlder
Regular

#6 Post by Offworlder »

I apologize for the incredibly late reply! I meant to check back much sooner. >_o
I looked through all of the links again (both here on the forum and on your website), and everything appears to be working now! I'm loving the artwork for this project so far, by the way. Super polished!

thebackup
Veteran

#7 Post by thebackup »

Update: Title screen mockup time! The text behind the girls makes it a bit ugly, but I used a screenshot to help plan out the positioning of the girls and logo.
Offworlder wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 pm I apologize for the incredibly late reply! I meant to check back much sooner. >_o
I looked through all of the links again (both here on the forum and on your website), and everything appears to be working now! I'm loving the artwork for this project so far, by the way. Super polished!
No worries, glad to hear! :D

thebackup
Veteran

#8 Post by thebackup »

BG art sample (WIP)

thebackup
Veteran

#9 Post by thebackup »

DSRM site is now open! Please check it out here.

Also, some WIP screens:
ImageImageImage

Arkilos

#10 Post by Arkilos »

Hi, an interesting project I am afraid I can't really provide any comments though. Just announced my own, nothing but some storyboarding thus far. I need to thank you for posting though as it gives me a good idea of what to include in my own post.
Novum Arkilum

thebackup
Veteran

#11 Post by thebackup »

Heads up folks, auditions for the three girls (Paulina, Cecilia, and Luna) are now open!
Check the audition thread for more details. Thanks!

EDIT: Auditions are now closed, thanks to those who applied!

thebackup
Veteran

#12 Post by thebackup »

Heads up folks!

Dating Sim! Re:Mastered (DSRM) is set for a 2021/10/26 release. In the meantime, you can listen to voice samples of the three girls!

Look forward to it :)

Sweet29

#13 Post by Sweet29 »

Yes finally I'm getting to play this game and I'm really looking forward to it very much.
It's nice it have voice acting.

thebackup
Veteran

#14 Post by thebackup »

Heads up! DSRM is now released, hope you all enjoy it! :)

Download Now!
Download at Itch.io
Size: v1.0: 129 MB (Windows / Linux), 94 MB (Mac)

Corresponding blog post
Completed Game Thread