Aquae - Crystal Clear Waters [Fantasy/Adventure/Friendship/Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Voz
Regular
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~
Deviantart: young-lyndis
Discord: Kaizarel#2858

Re: Aquae - Crystal Clear Waters [Fantasy/Adventure/Romance]

#16 Post by Voz »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:29 pm
Yes, the original Aquae stuck in my memory all this time, it's one of those early VNs on my Ren'Py journey I still look upon fondly and consider very important! Which is why when I saw the name again I was like NO WAY! And clicked immediately.

I have no doubt you will do well with this new one, so I am excited to watch the progress! Will you be doing arc releases like the original as you go along or go all in and drop it as a complete release?
The first arc will be released as a standalone, for sure. Whether the following arcs release singularly or together was something I was hoping to hear people's personal preference on.

Although any romance options would only be available in the completed release then, I think. The original story was very much about the Power of FriendshipTM and I still want that energy at the forefront. The romantic routes I have planned for the revamped story are also I guess what you'd call slow burn? There wouldn't be a real climatic payoff until the second half of the third arc at the very least.
And only available if you've met a hidden affection threshold through Frain and Kaizarel's choices. So I don't know how to track that across several releases...
Though that might be a good incentive for some to play the completed release, now that I think about it huh? :lol:

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: Aquae - Crystal Clear Waters [Fantasy/Adventure/Romance]

#17 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Voz wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:20 pm
The first arc will be released as a standalone, for sure. Whether the following arcs release singularly or together was something I was hoping to hear people's personal preference on.

Although any romance options would only be available in the completed release then, I think. The original story was very much about the Power of FriendshipTM and I still want that energy at the forefront. The romantic routes I have planned for the revamped story are also I guess what you'd call slow burn? There wouldn't be a real climatic payoff until the second half of the third arc at the very least.
And only available if you've met a hidden affection threshold through Frain and Kaizarel's choices. So I don't know how to track that across several releases...
Though that might be a good incentive for some to play the completed release, now that I think about it huh? :lol:
Hmm interesting! I personally wouldn't mind either way. Perhaps ARC I could be a "demo" of sorts?

I am really glad you are keeping that platonic energy going. Whilst I do love romance games, what made Aquae fresh to me was that it was not a romance focused game at all so I am glad that despite it being included as an option, the original purpose will be in the forefront ^^

Again whatever you decide for release order and whatnot, I am super excited!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Voz
Regular

Re: Aquae - Crystal Clear Waters [Fantasy/Adventure/Friendship/Romance]

#18 Post by Voz »

Getting close to releasing the first arc! Looking at perhaps the end of the month. By then I should have all the artwork to (mostly) where I want it. Coding the last scene of the game now and making some end credits as well.

For the moment! Enjoy a screen of your prospective dance partners at the festival! Who would you like to dance with? :0
testshot4.PNG

Voz
Regular

#19 Post by Voz »

Cleaning up code and little details on CGs still. Looking at approx. 30 or so original illustrations for ARC 1 demo. Still trying to get feedback from beta readers. Still looking for more since the few I had got wrapped up in life.

Voz
Regular

#20 Post by Voz »

Couple days late, but otherwise just in time for the one year mark! Let's celebrate~

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64920
Download for Windows, Linux, and Android

Voz
Regular

#21 Post by Voz »

- Keeping notes to keep myself accountable. ARC2 is really sprawling with all the different routes, which is as exciting as it is frustrating to map haha. Excited for the pay-offs towards the resolution. Staying motivated.

- Another round of costume changes. 2-3 for each of the main group, I think? Ambitious.

- 2 new characters. More?

- Gonna take some time to redo/clean up some of the CGs in ARC1. Experimenting with color still. Learning.

Meanwhile, have a turnaround of Amelia made for reference:
c_ameliaturn0922.png

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

#22 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Dear lord, the art is so adorable, I'm fan girling out. Best of luck with the game! It looks so wildly good. I'm all in on Ryri. Pretty much anything with mermaids is a 10/10 in my book
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

Voz
Regular

#23 Post by Voz »

SupersizeMyHeart wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:35 am Dear lord, the art is so adorable, I'm fan girling out. Best of luck with the game! It looks so wildly good. I'm all in on Ryri. Pretty much anything with mermaids is a 10/10 in my book
Oh hey!! :D
I really appreciate all the praise, friend. I've actually been lurking a little on your own project as well! The concept alone is just *chef's kiss*. I have a few friends I've linked it to over the months that are eagerly awaiting the final product ^^ Best of luck to you as well!

Voz
Regular

#24 Post by Voz »

Updates:

- Updating some of the rougher CGs in ARC1. Example:

- 8 CGs planned/sketched so far. Definitely more in the works. Debating adding more to ARC1, especially during the dance scenes.

- New expressions for all characters. Debating poses as well? Remembering not to crush myself under the weight of my ambitions.

- Make that 3 new characters for this arc. A recurrent comment that I remember getting from the original story was that the mermaid world didn't feel as fleshed out as the human world in terms of characters. I've tried to keep this in mind while writing new scenes. Most of that fleshing is coming out in the council of elders, the mermadic authority for all of Murone.

-Trying to keep consistent. Hopefully more updates to come.