The Elevator Game with Catgirls [Horror/Point-and-click] (GxG) OUT NOW!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nayru774
Regular
Completed: SoulSet, Blankspace
Projects: The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Tumblr: NoBreadStudio
itch: nobreadstudio

The Elevator Game with Catgirls [Horror/Point-and-click] (GxG) OUT NOW!

#1 Post by Nayru774 »

Hey, guys! I'm Nayru, the creator/lead of SoulSet and Blankspace, and I'm here to share with you a new project I'm working on together with KleeBentz and Xolf!

>> Kickstarter link <<
(Successfully funded on November 25th, 2021)

The Elevator Game with Catgirls is a horror visual novel with point-and-click elements, inspired by the Korean urban legend, Elevator to Another World.

• Many chances to make terrible mistakes
The elevator game is all about following the rules and treading forward in a strictly specified manner. Are you sure you'll be able to get everything right on your first try?
  • Short sessions with multiple endings
A playthrough may take you a single sitting, but it's all about exploring different options. Can you solve all the mysteries? What lengths will you have to go to to find some clues?
  • An eerie atmospheric setting
Immerse yourself in the narrative with the help of a unique, sketchy art-style, carefully chosen music, and sound design.

There are situations in this game some might find disturbing or triggering. Player discretion is advised.
  • The game will be available for Windows and Linux.

The Elevator Game is a ritual that is said to give the player access to another world by following a strict set of rules.

Motivated by a bet made with her classmate, Asahi's girlfriend Kirin decides to give the game a try, and drags her along for company. As Asahi waits outside of the building that Kirin chose to perform the ritual in, she starts to experience some confusing and unexplainable things...

Kirin fails to return that day, or the day after. Feeling somehow guilty as though Kirin's disappearance might be her fault, Asahi determines to try and find her missing girlfriend... by playing the elevator game herself.

Where will your choices take her?

Credits:
Nayru - Story & Script / Coding / GUI Design
KleeBentz - Art / Character Design / 3D Modeling
Xolf - Co-writing / Coding Assistance
Music/Sounds from Audio Alchemist

OddTillTheEnd will join us as the composer for an original soundtrack, thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign!

Planned release date: Q2 2022

Thank you for your time, meow! ^^
Last edited by Nayru774 on Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: The Elevator Game with Catgirls [Horror/Point-and-click] (GxG) DEMO + KICKSTARTER LIVE!

#2 Post by Nayru774 »

Our Steam store page for The Elevator Game with Catgirls is up and running!

Now you can check out the demo over there, too! :)

Please remember to wishlist us! Every single wishlist addition helps us out immensely!

Cheers!
- Nayru
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: The Elevator Game with Catgirls [Horror/Point-and-click] (GxG) DEMO + KICKSTARTER LIVE!

#3 Post by Nayru774 »

This is it, everyone! We're at the 48 hour mark!

In 2 days The Elevator Game with Catgirls Kickstarter campaign will come to an end.

If you're interested in any of the exclusive tiers, now's your last chance to pledge! ☆ ~('▽^人) Keep in mind that we won't be using Backerkit this time around, so if you'd like to support this project before release and get your name listed in the credits, now's your last chance to do it!

The voiceover stretch goal is still in sight! Anything can happen in the last hours of the campaign, so let's keep our fingers crossed! (๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ

Finalized keychain design preview!

Marcianek finalized the keychain graphic! We think it turned out great and hope you guys like it, too! :)

Demo review by VN Game Den!

VN Game Den were kind enough to review our demo, go check it out!

https://www.vngameden.com/demo-review-t ... irls/6004/

Let's reach that finish line with a bang! ε=ε=ε=ε=┌( `▽´)┘

- Nayru
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: The Elevator Game with Catgirls [Horror/Point-and-click] (GxG) DEMO

#4 Post by Nayru774 »

Hello, friends! Welcome to the first update of 2022! \o/

I have to be honest - we have all been either busy with holidays or sick for the majority of December, so sadly not much progress has been made (or at least not as much as we would like). We're intending for things to pick up as we go into 2022, though!

Nevertheless, progress is still there, and as promised, I will be sharing it with you every month. A lot of the backers seemed to be fond of how clear the progress structure for Blankspace was, so I've decided to stick to that kind of graphic model here, too. So, without further ado:

Let's get this show on the road!

EGC would be tricky to divide into any kind of chapter structure because of the way it's going to be playable (basically consisting of an intro that leaves you to your own devices at a certain point, from which you can aim for any kind of available ending) so I'll just go ahead and try to estimate the progress of the game as a whole.

We plan to complete the script before we start casting our voice actors and getting lines recorded, as otherwise there's always the risk we get lines recorded and then decide to change them! So don't be surprised when you don't see any progress showing there for a while - it's intentional so we can create the best experience we can.

See you guys next month! :)
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#5 Post by Nayru774 »

Hello, friends!

We're participating in Steam Next Fest 2022! Play the demo and wishlist The Elevator Game with Catgirls on Steam!

Here's also a belated development progress for February! I'm late to link it since I'm currently bedridden. Stay healthy, guys! (m;_ _)m

Is it just us, or does time seem to zoom by at an alarming rate lately? It's become an inside joke at NBS, that Feathor is most likely to blame for all the time related shenanigans we experience. It has to be his fault somehow. (# ̄ω ̄)

This month was spent with a main focus on idea brainstorming, the script, coding, but also a complete GUI overhaul - which I'm happy to share some screenshots of with you!

I've also coded in some extra elements into the quick menu that we can't reveal yet. But believe us when we say those came out pretty nicely! ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Based on some feedback we got from the demo, I'm currently looking into the idea of making the timed choices optional (as some players may find the time pressure stressful, or they could be awkward when streaming, etc). Do any of you have strong feelings one way or the other about them?

Last, but not least, here's a little music teaser from Odd! It's one of the more atmospheric tracks we planned to have in the game (as in, the less horror-y ones) and we hope you'll love it as much as we do!

See you guys next update!
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#6 Post by Nayru774 »

Hello, friends!

I didn't manage to post last month's update over here on the forums, but you can check it out on our Kickstarter page, if you've missed it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/no ... ts/3480136

(Featuring an actual working elevator! :D)

I'm also a bit late with this one, but here we go! There are some yummy teasers this time around! ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

As for the state of things:

We're trying to hang in there, slowly getting back on track. Though at this point, we have to address the elephant in the room:

Release date is delayed to Q3 2022 (*꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ)
We've been trying to work out why things are going so slowly this time around, and we've noticed that a lot of other devs we follow seem to be struggling creatively, as well. Could it be some kind of post-pandemic burnout? ( ̄Д ̄)

All we know is that since the beginning of this year, all of us have been struggling with both physical and mental health, for one reason or another. The country where two-thirds of the team live is currently facing an economical crisis which is only getting worse with each passing month, one of us has ended up moving TWICE, and it's just... It's been really hard to stay inspired and work-consistent when there's so much RL stuff piling up and keeping one's spirits down. Things just haven't been very positive on our side of things for a while now.

We just wanted to thank you for your patience and continued support as we try getting out of this slump. _(´ཀ`」 ∠)_ The game WILL be released - we just want to be honest and upfront that it's going to take longer than we hoped.

Fanart spotlight!
One a more positive note, here's a little something to cheer us up! It's a gorgeous Asahi fanart by none other than Joe Pekar, commissioned by Teofilo Hurtado!

Like it on Twitter!

See you next month!
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#7 Post by Nayru774 »

Hello, friends! The 13th of the month is upon us again, so let's cut to the chase!

Script-wise, we're at that point where the majority of it is written out as far as plot-related stuff goes - the main thing that's missing is the point-and-click segments. And if there's anything I (Nayru) learned from working on Blankspace, it's that the script for those is usually easier to write on the go, once you have a clear vision of what you need to write for, with the backgrounds in place right there before you. Things simply work differently when you're sitting in front of an immersive setting where other things might catch your attention, compared to the original plain text file. So that's as far as we can properly go with that for the time being.

That being said, after trying to code one of the endings with some placeholder images - and realizing that a lot of the script will need re-writing when the time comes anyway - I joined KleeBentz with the 3D modeling and texturing (learning new fancy Blender things!) to speed things up a bit in the field that's currently crucial for further progress overall.

To quote a line from our gamedev adventures: "Could you also share the teeth and eyeballs with me?:D:D"

It's been a pretty productive month in that regard, and we are satisfied with our current state of progress. The momentum that we have now has us feeling revitalized and we're looking forward to completing the game for you all (and ourselves)! (๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ

Have a couple of teasers:

In other fancy news, with the help of my dear friend hai2pe (who was the main lyric writer for Blankspace's vocal song) we also finalized the lyrics for our EGC vocal song! We're super excited to see what magic Odd's going to make with this one! (*°▽°*)

Thank you for your patience and see you guys next month!
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#8 Post by Nayru774 »

Hello, friends! It's absolutely crazy how time flies lately, isn't it? But another month has gone by, and so, we bring you our development update for September!

Things are starting to look good, but there's still quite a bit of work left to do. Which brings us to a couple of things we'd like to address.

Retail price change

We've decided to raise the price of the game from 9.99 USD to 14.99 USD for its release. Not primarily because of the amount of script in the game, but because of the amount of 3D modeling and assets we ended up creating for this project. EGC ended up having a lot of unique locations and backgrounds (easily into the hundreds). It's become a lot more ambitious than Blankspace in this regard, and with additional voice acting on top, we think the price change should be justified.

Release delayed to Q4 2022

However, and it's with a heavy heart that we have to admit this: We're not going to make it for a Q3 release. Progress has been slower than we wanted, and (as mentioned above) a lot more has gone into the game than we initially planned for. (*꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ) We're sorry that it's come to this, and thank you for your patience and continued support.

We'll be doing everything in our power to release EGC before the end of this year (and hopefully before Christmas)!

Which also leads us to...

Self-imposed crunch time - go!

Development hell is not a fun place for any project to be stuck in, and we're kind of starting to feel that's where our catgirls have been sneaking off to play... To try and remedy this, we'll be indulging in an self-imposed crunch for the next two weeks, hoping we can push things a bit closer to the finish line.

Beta-testing next month?

If things go well, we'd like to start sending out beta builds for our beta-testers sometime next month. EGC isn't a simple visual novel, so it's going to need extensive testing with a lot of nooks and crannies in the code. And while you guys beta-test the raw build, we'll be doing the auditioning for voice actors and preparing a new trailer.

Let's see where this upcoming month takes us. We'll keep in touch!
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

#9 Post by Nayru774 »

Whoops, it seems like I forgot to post both October's and November's updates over here on the forum. ^^; You can look them up on the Kickstarter if you've missed them:

Development Progress - October 2022

Development Progress - November 2022

Release Date - December 13th!

Mark your calendars, guys! And add the game to your wishlist over on Steam if you haven't already! :D

We'll do our absolute best to release the game with its voice acting included. If for any reason we're unable to hit the deadline (voice actor struck down with a throat infection, for example), we'll release on the promised date anyway, and then patch the voices in as soon as we're able.

We're aware that the timescale is quite tight, but we're pretty confident now about the release date - we know what's left to do, we know we can do it, and we definitely want you to be able to enjoy our tale before Christmas. :)
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: The Elevator Game with Catgirls [Horror/Point-and-click] (GxG) OUT NOW!

#10 Post by Nayru774 »

We did it, guys! The Elevator Game with Catgirls is now available on Steam and itch․io! /o/

>>> STEAM <<<
>>> ITCH.IO <<<

Remember that you can join us on our Discord server if you'd like to chat, explore the game with other players, or simply lurk around!

Cheers!
Image Image Image

HataVNI
Projects: Visual-Novel.info, Fuwanovel - I build communities, not games.
Organization: Visual Novel Info
itch: HataVNI
Discord: Hata#7192

Re: The Elevator Game with Catgirls [Horror/Point-and-click] (GxG) OUT NOW!

#11 Post by HataVNI »

Congratulations for this release! You're releasing some really cool games and I can't wait to play them... but I'm so busy :(