Yudashi Peril: Floraison [GxG][Drama][Mystery][Romance Game?][Mature Themes][TBD]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yon
Regular
Projects: YDSP
Soundcloud: tetra-yon
itch: v-ual

Yudashi Peril: Floraison [GxG][Drama][Mystery][Romance Game?][Mature Themes][TBD]

#1 Post by yon »

Although the average day in her life at Ainami Academy may not directly involve supernatural entities or shadowy scientists conducting unethical experiments, there exist those on the fringes that pull the threads of Homura Asano's existence. Something deeply wrong and unnatural is beginning to make itself known, and try as she may to ignore it with social distractions and newly forged bonds with allies, something inside her makes her want to know what lies beyond the plainly visible. But, in order to understand what is happening, she must first discern whether those around her are trustworthy. Are they friends, allies, or saboteurs?

Cast:
  • Homura Asano
    16, 2nd year, Protagonist

Homura is a girl who doesn't feel like there's much going on in her life, and wishes to reach out to those around her to feel a loving connection. She has no particular skills or qualities that make her notable -- at least, in her own estimation.

Azami Asano
    17, 3rd year, Star Student, Homura's sister

Azami seems to be effortlessly intelligent, competent, and beautiful. Although she may not admit it, much of what she does is to be able to provide for and protect her little sister.

Yui Goshima
    17, 2nd year, Martial Artist, Homura's childhood friend

Yui's been best friends with Homura since they were little kids, and is usually the one to convince her to step outside her comfort zone. Homura just barely manages to keep up with Yui's whims most times.

Anisha Sivagnanam
    17, 2nd year, Student Disciplinarian, Class Rep

Anisha first and foremost believes in the virtue of diligence, and that a school is a place for students to better themselves. Unfortunately, few meet her standards, and often find themselves subject to a strict lecture, or whatever punishment Anisha is capable of giving them.

Snake
    17, 3rd year, Biker Gang Leader, Delinquent

Snake is fundamentally at odds with the concept of the school and its lofty reputation, rarely giving anyone a kind word or the time of day. She and her Bloodhound Gang instead focus on taking to the streets and getting even with anyone who crosses them.

Mitsuru Morikawa
    24, Science Teacher

Ainami's newest teacher seems sociable and kind to her students, and is often well-regarded for her lax attitude. As is her nature to care for others, she belives Homura deserves a more enriching and meaningful life.
YDSP is a game that's primarily focused on the daily life of a teen girl trying to make friends (or more) while also doing her best to survive dark forces beyond human capacity. The gameplay mainly draws from sources like Tokimeki Memorial, character route-driven VNs like DMMD, and social links in the Persona series. Tonally, inspiration comes from games like Umineko, Higurashi, Dangan Ronpa, and the Persona series (again), albeit on a smaller scale.

Be aware that the story touches upon sensitive topics like sexual abuse, incest, sexualization of minors, and death. The intent is not to romanticize or glorify, but to analyze and criticize where necessary. I wish to tell the story with heart and compassion.

In terms of developing the game, I intend on doing as much of it by myself as is possible. I have previously tried to work on this game in the past, but enough time has passed and enough of the game's fundamentals have changed that I feel it is best to treat it as a new project entirely. I have had to start over from scratch several times, and I am now attempting to build this from the ground up as best as I can.

I welcome all feedback pertaining to the development of the game, particularly in areas pertaining to the UI, interface, and code, as these are my weakest subjects at present.

yon
Regular

Re: Yudashi Peril: Floraison [GxG][Drama][Mystery][Romance Game?][Mature Themes][TBD]

#2 Post by yon »

I am still in the planning/early development stages of this game, but I am slowly working my way through the fundamental concepts and coming to understand what I am working towards.

At present, I am ironing out the basic functionality of gameplay in the abstract, and drawing up concepts for the UI, then attempting to implement them in the code.

Here are my current drafts for the visual design of the UI, including:
  • Stats overview button which leads to more in depth stats screen
    Textbox
    Calendar button which leads to more in depth calendar
    Location label with both general and specific locations
    In depth stats screen
Please let me know what you think in regards to the visual design. I am trying to somewhat emulate a 60's aesthetic, in terms of graphics.
Attachments
UI Stats Mockup.png
UI Mockup.png

yon
Regular

Re: Yudashi Peril: Floraison [GxG][Drama][Mystery][Romance Game?][Mature Themes][TBD]

#3 Post by yon »

I've mostly been putting my effort into handling UI and organizing the game structure for now. Here's what I've got so far.
Attachments
screenshot0011.png

yon
Regular

#4 Post by yon »

I have two major designs for the main menu thus far (have not implemented either yet), and I'm not sure which I'd like to go with. Either way, this is what I have for now.
Attachments
Main Menu Mockup v1.png
Main Menu Mockup v3.png

yon
Regular

#5 Post by yon »

I don't have much to show right now other than more UI designs:
Attachments
Hangout Choice Mockup.png
UI Mockup Stats.png
UI Mockup Pause.png
Index Mockup.png
Activity Select Screen Mockup v2.png

yon
Regular

#6 Post by yon »

I've still been working on it. Coding and writing has slowed down, but I've uploaded the music I've created for the game thus far here:

https://soundcloud.com/tetra-yon/sets/y ... -floraison

yon
Regular

#7 Post by yon »

Mainly been working on the script for the past few months. Reorganized the structure of the events in the index. Ran through it and did some bug catching.

Still have to implement a lot of mechanics and features, which will require some time, but I have decided to write out a manual that describes exactly what each interactive screen, special interaction, and type of event should do and what happens with it. That way, I should be able to know exactly what to do when it comes time to actually figure the code out.

The current idea is that the regular interactions will be as follows:

Monday morning: Choose which activities to do for Monday-Saturday, which raise one of five stats. Think Long Live The Queen.

Throughout the week, scripted events take place which mostly have no effect on stats or routes, but flesh out the characters and stories. Daily life and some plot stuff.

Every afternoon, a screen will show and display the activity being done that day (even if not with an animation like in Tokimeki, at the very least information showing what you chose that day and the effect it has). Currently, I plan to show the entire week's plan at once, with the current day highlighted. When an activity is done, it will also show the increase in stats by displaying the bars that visualize the current stat progress. Ideally, this should be shown on the same screen as the activities, so as not to take too much time. Better to streamline it and display that information together, I think.

Saturdays have specific activities that are only available on that day, which increase a special stat that can only be affected on that day. So, Monday-Friday, you can raise stat types #1-4, and Saturday lets you raise stat type #5.

On Sundays, there is a screen to display routes you can spend time with, as well as little bits of flavor text gossip to tell you about what's going on at that point in the game. The flavor text changes over time, with each chapter that passes. When a route is ready to rank up to the next plot event, it shows a notification next to their name. Otherwise, it's a generic "grinding" scene where nothing happens in particular other than increasing the route points.

There are 7 chapters in the game: Intro, 1-5, and Final. There's one major plot event per route in each chapter. The way I've decided to pace this out is that you are prevented from moving onto the next route event until its relevant chapter. Each event should require a specific amount of grinding which I will calculate to require only 2-3 grinding events each.

The stats you can raise affect the choices you can make and how effective your choices are with each route. Each route gets a bonus from one specific stat. The higher that stat, the more of a bonus you get from choices and grinding. To finish the game, it will require several playthroughs, so I've tried to calculate it such that specific endings are only possible after a NG+ with stat bonuses from the last playthrough.

I'm doing my best to reduce tedium on re-plays. I'll try to make sure there's at least a little new content upon replay, and the progress you make is clear, so you can make better plans for which ending you go for.

yon
Regular

#8 Post by yon »

Script is mostly finished. Working on character art now.

yon
Regular

#9 Post by yon »

I've completed the game as much as I can in terms of code, assets, and script, it has been playtested by several people, and I am preparing to release the game tomorrow.