Forests [Sci-fi] [Introspective] [Battle of Wits] [kinetic]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
4gamma

Forests [Sci-fi] [Introspective] [Battle of Wits] [kinetic]

#1 Post by 4gamma »

Broad premise (avoiding all possible spoilers):
Against all odds, Jurian Bauer’s mind breaks free from the restraints placed upon it. As his eyelids part, he is met with the sight of a humanoid figure performing tests on incapacitated people lined throughout the room. Without hesitation, Jurian strikes down this stranger. As it crashes to the floor, a metal disk is dislodged from its head. Out of a nagging sense of urgency and curiosity, Jurian rests this device atop his own head. Suddenly, the metal disk reveals to Jurian who is responsible for his subjugation and why they’ve targeted him. In mere microseconds, Jurian gains a new purpose, a purpose he swears to never stray from: destroying those who are threatening him and the existence of his species. As this struggle unfolds, Jurian will have his morality challenged, friendships strained, and worldview revised. Only his indomitable will and demanding objective remain unshakeable.

Characters (all with neutral expression):
JB head.jpg
Jurian Bauer is the main force against those threatening humanity. Although his goals will never change, he struggles to cope with the Herculean task of achieving these goals without harming those he loves. He must learn to do what's necessary without reservation, regardless of the visceral feelings he may have towards such actions. Against all odds, Jurian must not only save all of humanity, but maintain his own humanity as well.

OH head.jpg
Oskari Hänninen is a stoic warrior. His ability to manage stress and avoid falling into despair prove to be some of his most useful attributes. However, a person can only be pushed so far, and his hero's journey consists of constantly pushing himself past his prior limits whether they be mental, physical, or spiritual. He is the strong foundation upon which the wellbeing of himself, and those close to him, rely.

AG head.jpg
Abbigail Gray just wants to have a normal and healthy life. Unfortunately, she now lives in a cruel and unforgiving world. She struggles to manage the psychological strain that comes with the realization that she might only exist for a very short and painful time before being extinguished completely: before fulfilling any of the dreams she has ever had.

AN head.jpg
Arduino Nucci is ultimately led forward by his ego. This shaky pillar of his personality results in an unreliable mentality that could produce dangerous circumstances. Although always determined, the cause of his determination is also often a cause for concern. To truly progress, he must look beyond himself. He must gain a more holistic understanding of his place in the world.

CP head.jpg
Clément Pascal has been thrown into a world he simply cannot handle. He was not made for these trials and tribulations. His life is characterized by endless attempts to escape uncomfortable situations, but he is now face to face with a uncomfortable situation he cannot escape. It is up to him to choose whether or not he breaks or rises to the occasion.

Progress:
- Music and Sound Effects: 100%
- Backgrounds: 95% (most have been constructed and need to be rendered)
MainRoom.png
Hallway.png
Doorway.png
Clone.png
- Sprites: 90% (the clothes and bodies need to be touched up; faces are finished)
- Writing: 95% (Only some small revisions are left; current word count at about 73,000)
- Coding: 25% (This is the main task left)

Reasons for this post:
- I want to hear criticism and answer questions during the development of this VN
- I want to get the word out on the creation of this VN
- I want to share the progress in the development of this VN

Background:
I have been working on this VN for about a year now. It has taken a lot of time and work to get this stage of development. This is primarily the result of the length of the VN as well as the fact that I'm the only one working on it. My tentative plan is to have it out no later than March. This is my first VN and I am concerned with the quality of the writing and story above all else. Although there is no sexually explicit material in this VN, there are very mature themes and violent scenes. I plan on releasing this VN as a "name your own price" option.

4gamma

Re: Forests [Sci-fi] [Introspective] [Battle of Wits] [kinetic]

#2 Post by 4gamma »

Update:

Much progress has been made since I made the original post. Here is a quick list of improvements and developments:
1) All backgrounds have been fully constructed and rendered.
2) The revision and editing stage of the writing has been completed.
3) Last, but certainly not least, is the work I've done on the renpy script. This has been the main task I've been chipping away at since I made the original post. There is very little left to be done to the script. I'd say the "coding" section of this visual novel project has gone from 25% finished to about 90% finished.
The remaining tasks:
1) Once the last of the code is written, I'll go through the process of revising and optimizing the script by playing through the visual novel and fixes any issues that may expose themselves.
2) The bodies of some of the sprites still need to be touched up a little bit.
3) I'll still need to draw the cover art for the visual novel.
Given how much work is left, I'd predict that "Forests" will be released no later than the end of February.

Lastly, I would appreciate receiving and answering any questions you may have regarding this project.

4gamma

#3 Post by 4gamma »

Update:

I'm getting much closer to finishing this visual novel. I made a lot of progress in just the last ten days. Here is the list of improvements and developments:
1) All of the sprites have been drawn.
2) The Renpy script has been fully written (not yet tested).
The remaining tasks:
1) Optimize the script by playing through the visual and fixing any issues that may expose themselves.
2) Draw the cover art.

Again, any questions or comments regarding this project are welcomed.

4gamma

#4 Post by 4gamma »

BIG NEWS!

Update:

The visual novel has (pretty much) been finished.
I've sent copies of "Forests" to some close friends and relatives. After they finish reading it and supply me with some feedback, I will make whatever small adjustments might be necessary and then release the visual novel on my itch.io page. Of course, I will also add this game to the "completed games" forum.
While some of my friends and relatives are reading it, I will make the cover art for the final product. I'm still on track to release the game before March.

As always, questions and comments are welcomed.

4gamma

#5 Post by 4gamma »

After over a year of work, this visual novel has finally been finished. You can find the link for downloading "Forests" on this page: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64086