Operation: Magic Hero [Voiced][Fantasy][High School][Comedy][GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Operation: Magic Hero [Voiced][Fantasy][High School][Comedy][GxB]

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

omh.png
I have chosen you, dear Player, to relive this chapter in my life...

Enter Chiharu Akayama - a girl who wishes she wasn't so ordinary. Sure, she's known to be rather crazy at times, but in her mind she just feels so....plain, nothing special about her. All she wants to be is, well, somebody, and it looks like she might get the chance! Accidentally stumbling upon an organization called Operation: Magic Hero, she is given the gift to transform into Yuki, a dazzling magical girl who helps fight evil at night!

WILL FEATURE:
- Fully voiced dialogue!
- 46k+ total wordcount
- Original character art by El.Seth
- Event CGs by tashaj4de
- Comedy! Action! Romance???
- A headmaster that yells a lot
- Magical girls! (and boys!)
- Unlockable extras
- 100% free to download and play

PLANNED ADDITIONAL CONTENT:
Note: these will be released as separate "fandisc patches" you can add to the game yourself if you so desire! (Also free!)

- "Disappearance" route [adds about 11k+ words]
- "Finale" [extends the game to the original planned endings, tentative]

LINT STATISTICS
Note: this is the progress for the whole build, including both patches

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 7,478 dialogue blocks, containing 66,916 words and 357,678
characters, for an average of 8.9 words and 48 characters per block.

The game contains 22 menus, 61 images, and 12 screens.
CHARACTERS

Chiharu Akayama
chiharu_smile.png
Our heroine! Despite popular belief, Chiharu sees herself as ordinary and plain. She's actually a fun girl to hang out with, always joking and doing crazy things. Then her shyness takes over, causing her to act weird around Keiji... either being avoidant, or sometimes tsundere, toward him.

Keiji Mayutaka
keiji_normal.png
Chiharu's love interest. He's a normal guy who's generally nice, as well as very smart (he likes to study a lot). He despises idiots and can often times be sarcastic, and take on an intimidating demeanor at times. Basically, he's OK with you if you're not obnoxious.

Arisa Shironami
arisa_normal.png
Your run-of-the-mill bookworm who resembles Yuki Nagato, only she has emotions and isn't an alien. As you might have guessed, she always loves to read books. However, despite popular belief, she actually only gets average grades. And despite what grades say, she has street smarts!

Headmaster Marcosso
marcosso_normal.png
One of the two mysterious leaders of the Operation Magic Hero. Very little is known about him, and he is not seen often. He's not the most friendlist guy, and can sometimes taunt the Magic Heroes if he feels they did not do a good job. However, he does try to push them in the right direction.

Headmistress Ryshula
ryshula_smile.png
The second mysterious leader of Operation Magic Hero, Ryshula is a beautiful, sultry lady who is the one who gives out the special items that give her clients their transformation to become Magic Heroes. She's very kind, and only wishes for the best out of her recruits.

Nami Aizawa
Nami.png
Nami's the kind of girl who'll be your cheering squad. She always pushes her friends to "aim high" and "believe in yourself". Sometimes she can have a short attention span, and won't be paying attention to you if the conversation suddenly bores her.

Daishiro Konami
daishiro_smile.png
This dorky guy likes to think he's all that. He's charming in his own way though, despite the fact that he's clumsy and likes to talk too much. He's always flirting with Arisa, using lots of flowery and poetic words. She thinks he's only teasing her, but in truth his dramatic gestures convey the true feelings of his heart!

Asahi Tanaguchi
asahi sparkle.png
This guy loves having attention. He's known to be a cool, popular guy, and even has a horde of fangirls following him around! He can be arrogant, thinking too highly of himself, but he still doesn't mind hanging out with the so-called "not popular" people.

Ruri Kuzaki
ruri1.png
A sweet, kind, and gentle girl, Ruri finds it a pleasure to greet people and spend time with them. She is often seen with her childhood friend, Toshio, who was born mute, so she translates his sign language when he doesn't feel like writing on a marker board. In private conversations, they simply sign to each other.

Seiko Kizaki
Seiko.png
She is Ruri's non-identical twin sister (despite this, she can be mistaken as Ruri at a glance, which pisses her off). As opposed to the gentle, sweet Ruri, Seiko is loud, rude, and not afraid to be harsh, giving you the cold blooded truth. Some even call her anti-social, and she often thinks that everyone are idiots. She can be a very frustrating person to be with. Has a huge rivalry with Jirou Taiyama.

.... and many, many more characters.... coming soon as more designs are completed!

PROGRESS
Main Script: 100%
Voice Acting: 60%-ish
Sprites: (in progress)
CGs: (pending)
Background Assets: 100%
Music Assets: (searching)
SFX Assets: (searching)

DEV NOTES 2022.11.01
Good morning/afternoon/evening!

The 10 year anniversary for Tofu Sheets Visual is coming on the 20th of March (based on the team's first Skype meeting)! And to celebrate, after being stuck in development hell for years, I've fished out Operation: Magic Hero which was my first attempt at NaNoRenO back in 2012, but I didn't know how to scope back then, so it ended up huge haha. There were many reasons it was unable to be completed, such as not realizing at the time BassNovel sprites were a no lol, but the biggest thing that made the project shelved was the death of a beloved teammate, Alexander "Nightydreams" Kwan, who voiced Marcosso. We just did not have the heart to continue without him, and thus, the project was shelved. But now with the 10yr anniversary arising, and to honor Alex's memory, we're finally going to release it. It's a bit messy how it's stitched back together, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I wrote a pseudo ending so it doesn't end so abruptly, still in line with one of the twists meant further down the line. All of Alex's voice lines will be preserved, in fact most of the voice lines from when we started are remaining. I only had to recast a few as majority of the team returned, and a good chunk of the team in general had recorded up to the point where Alex's lines ended, so the only teammates that had to worry were those who were a bit behind (if lines were recorded up to where the pseudo end starts, the lines remained). The "Disappearance" route will be released later, and was a path originally omitted since Alex sadly never got to record for it.... but I decided to repatch it in and will just look for a fill-in VA for his role there, hence why I am calling it a "fandisc patch" and it will be an optional add-on.

I also want to thank my friends, El.Seth and Tasha Jade, for joining the team and helping me. El is doing the brand new, original sprites, whilst Tasha will be our CG artist. I could not do this without you two! Thanks for helping me make this beautiful disaster possible! It's going to be even better than when we started it! And of course, I want to thank all my old teammates who've returned and have remained by my side since the beginning, as well as all the new teammates that are apart of this... THANK YOU! And to Alex... though is no longer here... thank you for making me promise to continue making VNs.... I almost didn't haha but I managed... so thank you, I miss you.

And to everyone reading this... I am gonna just put a cringe warning right now, as this is an OLD project that sometimes slogged, and sometimes got cringy, but I still love and cherish many pieces of it and the memories it holds. And even today, certain aspects of it heavily inspire my other projects (which I shall list which ones and how after release). So I think the game will be along the lines of "so bad, it's good" hopefully.... and if you end up hating it, no worries, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I'll do my best to post updates occasionally. My goal is to drop it for IntRenAiMo 2022, on March 20th, but things may be delayed on the art side of things so I'm not holding my breath. However, I am confident in telling you there will be a 2022 release, since this is the anniversary year! Care to walk down memory lane with me?
Attachments
ruri.png
Asahi.png
Last edited by Kokoro Hane on Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

Re: Operation: Magic Hero [Voiced][Fantasy][High School][Comedy][GxB]

#2 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Added the full game's Lint Stats! I'll update that periodically as I write more of the finale patch. Note that both patches will come also with bonus side scenes stored in the extras.

Chiharu, Keiji, and Arisa's sprites have recently been finished. I will probably update this post tomorrow to reflect that + include some new sketches of other characters, so stay tuned for that! Thanks again to El for all her hard work!
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Updated first post with Chiharu, Arisa, and Keiji sprites, and also added more designs for more characters! (There's even more to come, which will be added as they are finished!)

Also fun fact; if any of you have played my otome game "The Only One Girl", Zack's personality was actually recycled from Daishiro's. Zack is just a more... pathetic version of Daishiro, whilst Daishiro is more poetic. But you'll definitely catch on to their dramatic gestures to their love! xD
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

else_th
Regular
Completed: Of Frost and Flowers, The Punniest Pun Messter (TPPM), Moonlight Mansion, Crysmalia: Dawn of Darkness, Meme Detective, Based Farttorney, Apricity
Projects: Of Frost and Flowers, Lynch-Locked!
Organization: Elseth Games
Deviantart: else100
itch: elseth.itch.io

#4 Post by else_th »

Hello, El.Seth here, a fellow VN developer and artist-in-training! Truly am honoured to be Operation: Magic Hero's sprite artist, thank you Kokoro for the opportunity! I'm currently juggling between this project and studies, so bear with me as I make slow (but steady) progress on the arts! I'll do my best in drawing the characters to life! Hope you'll be patient with us, and look forward to our development! ^^
Creator of: Of Frost and Flowers, The Punniest Pun Messter (TPPM), Meme Detective, Crysmalia: Dawn of Darkness, Moonlight Mansion, The Clock Chronicle, KAIROS, Swim Team Rescue!, Chocolate Catastrophe, Piece by Piece, Save You, REDemption Zone, Our Toy Box

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

^ You're doing a great job, El! Thank you so much <3

Speaking of....

Just updated the main post with Marcosso's finished sprite! Isn't he beautiful????

Here's a screenshot testing his sprite in-game!
screenshot0002.png
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kokoro Hane »

NaNoRenO has begun, thus we will be entering the sprint for as an IntRenAiMo project for the demo's release!

So what news do I have today?

The sprite for Yuki, Chiharu's magic heroine self, has been completed!
yuki smile.png
El has outlined the sprite for Hanae, Arisa's magic heroine self!
Hanae sketch.png
Been working on sprite placement in game;
screenshot0010.png
screenshot0013.png
The player will be mysterious narrated to before the game even begins...
screenshot0014.png
screenshot0014.png (11.23 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
You will be asked to enter a name, choose male or female, and be told "I have chosen you to relive this chapter in my life" before switching to Chiharu's POV. This odd beginning will seem confusing, but will all make sense when the full game is released!

We're looking for promo artists for the demo (and even after), so if you're interested in contributing to the celebrate of 10 years, details can be found here;
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=64097&p=550291#p550291

Since this NaNo time, I will do my best to try and update this thread a little more frequently! We hope to get the demo out by March 20th, if all goes well!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Kokoro Hane »

So there will be some delays, we might not be able to get a demo out by the end of NaNoRenO as planned. This is due because we might not be able to get all the art needed for the demo done on time, and one VA has had a really hectic month and needs an extension to get lines in. The health and well being of my team always takes top priority, so even if we don't have a demo out by that time, I will still use NaNo to help propel OMH further to completion, and I am still confident the initial release of the whole game will be out before year's end which is really all that matters ^^

Since this game is also to celebrate me dev'ing for 10 years, if you've played any of my previous games, feel free to vote for your favorite titles and characters in this survey below! On the 20th (no later than 31st) I'll post the results!
https://forms.gle/NtikPoVidXN1EkaM8

Lastly, El has begun coloring Hanae's sprite!
Hanae colored sketch.png
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Finally begun adding Yuki's sprites to the game!

Yes, I know this mirror looks cheesy lol, I made it way back in 2012. I have debated on just having a CG drawn for this scene later, but for now, we'll keep with this.
screenshot0015.png
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Added Ryshula's sprite to the main post!

Also this Sunday marks the 10 year anniversary of Tofu Sheets Visual!

Our little survey is still open if you've played any of our games (even just one) and liked it. I extended it, so it'll close at 6PM PST on the 19th officially. So vote for your favorite TSV title (up to 3) and characters here;
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I've gotten sprite places up until the prologue ends! Now I just need to add music and sound effects in that area.

A reminder about the TSV survey! I extended it until the 31st so you can still take it if you like, even if you've only just played one title and liked it! Give your favorites some love~

Lastly, I released the WiP Showcase video, where I show a scene from all my WiPs, and that includes OMH! So if you'd like to see how OMH is going, its scene starts at the 7:17 mark (note, there's no music and SFX on this scene yet, but there's sprite placement and voice acting!)
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Whilst we were unable to get a demo out for Operation: Magic Hero, we are planning to hopefully get said demo out for Summer Novel Festival instead! Dev'ing will be resuming around that time, as that is when El will resume drawing sprites! For now, I will be cutting and leveling remaining batches I have received until then!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Although the project is on standby for now, El will be working on more sprites most likely in the summer time! For now, I've updated the post to show Ruri and Asahi's finished sprites! (I should really upload the devlog message at the end too, but I'll do that later lol)
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"