いきましょう! - Let's Go! [Friendship][Slice-of-Life][Adventure][Real World Setting][Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
umineko
Regular
Projects: Ikimashou!
Organization: Bagel Poutine
itch: umineko-chan.itch.io

いきましょう! - Let's Go! [Friendship][Slice-of-Life][Adventure][Real World Setting][Demo]

#1 Post by umineko »

Check out the demo here!
Check out the Kickstarter pre-launch page!
In a land of cities among the vast wilderness, dreams of the past were lost to time, until one adventure seeking soul kept their childhood promise.

"My name is Zinnia Jackson, and I'm embarking on the ultimate adventure across Canada. From my hometown of Montreal, Quebec, I'll be headed west towards Vancouver, British Columbia, stopping at all the provinces in between."

It's always been my dream to go on an adventure since I was little. As I grew older, I feel that the opportunity to set off on that adventure has finally arrived. But in the short span of time between my childhood and fast-approaching adulthood, I wonder...

What is the Canadian Dream?

Combining Japanese visual novel features such as voice acting, a cute anime art style alongside beautiful backgrounds, with a familiar Canadian setting. Recommended for people unfamiliar with the visual novel medium, or those who want a lighter, feel-good story.

Features
  • Explore the cities of Montréal, Toronto, & Vancouver!
  • Full 1920x1080 HD resolution! Event CGs are 2560x1440.
  • Mainly kinetic novel, with minor branches at times.
  • Beautiful backgrounds made from actual, real-life photographs! Maybe you'd even be able to tell where it is?
  • A sugar-sweet story about the power of friendship!
  • Super-duper adorable kemomimi characters!
  • Partial Japanese voice acting!

Main Characters
The character section is under construction! Descriptions & concept art for some characters are present, but may change entirely as I develop this game.

Zinnia Jackson ジニア・ジャクソン | Protagonist | CV: 夢前 黎
Height: 160 cm
Birthday: ???
Animal Type: Arctic Fox
Hometown: Anywhere!
"Dreams of travelling across Canada. Brimming with enormous amounts of ambition, self-esteem and confidence, she'll do everything in her power to make her dream a reality. Very opportunistic and won't hesitate to jump on the bandwagon."
ZINNIASHEET7.png

Claire Hashimoto 橋本 クレール | Main Character | CV: 砂糖 しお
Height: 170 cm
Birthday: 7/1
Animal Type: Dog
Breed: Labrador Retriever
Hometown: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
"Easygoing, considerate, and eager-to-please, she puts her friends and career above all other things. She moved to Ontario from Vancouver, British Columbia to search for better employment opportunities, although she wishes to return home someday with experience from her job to use in other career paths."
Untitled-24.png
Chiyomi Nishimura 西村 千代美 | Main Character | CV: 眠音 りま
Height: 164 cm
Birthday: 2/23
Animal Type: Cat
Breed: Mixed
Hometown: Kariya, Aichi, Japan
"A very amiable & caring person, she's very devoted to her friends in Canada and family back in Japan. Immigrated to Canada along with her brother in search of better opportunities in life."
CHIYOMISHEET2.png
Side Characters

Minori ミノリ | Side Character
MINORISHEET.png
Vincent Mackenzie ヴィンセント・マッケンジー | Side Character
VINCENTSHEET.png
Taya タヤ | Side Character | CV: ろさちゃん
TAYASHEET.png
Screenshots and CG

sdf.png
ikimashou_0001.png
ikimashou_0023.png
CG3.png
wtzgeu0m5b9a1.jpg
TORONTO_FINCHTERM.png
TORONTO_UNIONSTATION2.png
OAKVILLE_STATION.png
test2.png
Credits

Writing - umineko-chan

Programming - umineko-chan

Character Art- 53C

GUI - umineko-chan, with additional elements by OKUMONO

BGM Production - solfa/luminouscore & BGM DOVA-SYNDROME

OP/ED Theme Songs - Losstime Life

SE Production - 効果音ラボ (Sound Effect Lab) & BGM DOVA-SYNDROME

Movie Production: umineko-chan & OKUMONO + V

Backgrounds - umineko-chan & various photographers, a full list can be found in the downloaded game's credits.

Zinnia Voice Acting - Rei Yumesaki (https://145.rei-yumesaki.net/)
Last edited by umineko on Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:45 pm, edited 72 times in total.
"I like kemomimi and I cannot lie."

umineko
Regular

Re: Ikimashou! [Friendship][Slice Of Life][Travel][Real World Setting]

#2 Post by umineko »

On the topic of characters, I am looking for a super moe, anime-style look to my characters, complete with animal ears and tails! I've made some trial characters in the V-katsu character maker, but they don't seem to fit with the theme of the visual novel. I'd prefer 2d, hand-drawn art. Still posting them so you can get an idea of what I'm looking for!
Attachments
"I'm not cute!!!"
"I'm not cute!!!"
protagonist's classmate
protagonist's classmate
a character that will appear later on
a character that will appear later on

umineko
Regular

Re: Ikimashou! [Friendship] [Slice-of-Life] [Adventure/Travel] [Real World Setting]

#3 Post by umineko »

A demo of the first chapter has been published on my itch.io page :mrgreen: ! This chapter doesn't feature any character sprites, as it is mostly there to set the general mood/tone of the novel and to give the player an idea of what kind of person the protagonist is. In short, you'll be viewing everything from their eyes!

Everything is in a draft state, and is most definitely NOT final! Feel free to leave feedback here, or on the itch.io page.
New Project (1) (1).png
https://umineko-chan.itch.io/lets-go

P.S. We're searching for an artist to draw our characters! If you know of anyone who can draw cute, moe characters with animal ears/tails, give me a ring!

umineko
Regular

Re: Ikimashou! [Friendship] [Slice-of-Life] [Adventure/Travel] [Real World Setting]

#4 Post by umineko »

The game's been looking real sus lately...

I'm in the process of adding sprites to the game, with amogus (yes) being the placeholder image. I'm very eager to recruit an artist who can draw cute & moe characters with animal ears/tails :wink:

One quick question for you all, should I release Chapter 2, which does have character sprites (albeit rather sussy at the moment), immediately? Or perhaps hold off on releasing it until actual sprites are in place?
Attachments
screenshot0017.png
screenshot0015.png

umineko
Regular

#5 Post by umineko »

please delete this message
Last edited by umineko on Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

umineko
Regular

Re: Ikimashou! [Friendship][Slice-of-Life][Adventure][Real World Setting]

#6 Post by umineko »

Hotfix out! Here are some of the features:

- Zinnia (The protagonist) now voices User Interface interactions! The characters will generally remain silent until Chapter 5, however.
- Fixed some non-working links in the About section
- Added Skip and Auto mode indicators
- Lots more backgrounds in the game's files! These aren't visible yet as they will appear in later chapters, but I will include some of them below.
- Slightly more content in Chapter 1
- Something secret... I suggest you slam your face into your computer's keyboard to find out! Wait, that doesn't make it very secret-ish...

Support & download the journey here:
https://umineko-chan.itch.io/lets-go

Our developer (Bagel Poutine) has a website now! Check it out here:
https://bagel.mystrikingly.com/
Attachments
nice bus stop
nice bus stop
yippee we reached toronto
yippee we reached toronto
metro station in the middle of a park
metro station in the middle of a park
yucky classroom
yucky classroom
nightfall in toronto
nightfall in toronto
regular fall in montreal
regular fall in montreal
chiyomi's room (nice plushies)
chiyomi's room (nice plushies)

umineko
Regular

#7 Post by umineko »

Some progress this week:

Wrote some more dialogue, mostly for the chapters in Toronto.

I've made even more backgrounds! There'll be more than 100 in the finished product!

I'd like to share our novel's OP/ED songs, タイフーンパレード (Typhoon Parade) & 流星コネクト (Meteor Connect)!

Big thanks to Losstime Life for these songs! https://www.losstime-life.com/

I'm also making the OP/ED movies! Man, I'm doing everything here... We really need a character artist...
cMDJV95uyJBZ.png
Attachments
VANCOUVER_PARKCAR.png
VANCOUVER_VCVR.png

umineko
Regular

#8 Post by umineko »

Frequently asked questions???

I've been asked some questions (both by others and by myself) over the course of development, thought it would be nice to share the answers to some of them below.

Once you finish the game, will it be free or paid?
I plan on releasing both a free and paid version. The paid version would contain extra stuff such as CG/BG galleries, scenes, a replay room, etc...
Are there going to be h-scenes (adult content)?
No! Never!!! The fluffiest you'll get is the health teacher talking about periods and the characters sleeping in the same bed. Nothing else. I literally can't place adult content due to my music/sfx composers disallowing use of their works in R18 content. Besides, I want to market my game to a wider audience.
How old is Zinnia?
We're not sure. Maybe take a look at Minori & Taya's concept art and take a guess.
What are you using to make the backgrounds?
I use Adobe Photoshop. The photographs are sourced from Creative Commons images and my own photographs.
Minori is cute!
damn right she is. Wait till we find an artist...
Render-2021-11-14-16-52-02.png

umineko
Regular

#9 Post by umineko »

What's this? My photobashing skills on photographs of Japan, rather than Canada? Yes! And it'll be part of the story, too!

In the story, Chiyomi lives in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Her hometown is Kariya, Aichi, Japan. What do those two cities have in common?

If you answered: "They're sister cities", you're correct! This will play an integral part of the later chapters. This is also a fantastic way to present the friendship between these two cities!

https://www.mississauga.ca/our-organiza ... ster-city/

https://www.city.kariya.lg.jp/shisei/pr ... 04375.html
Attachments
unknown.png
KARIYA_CITYMUSEUM4.png

umineko
Regular

#10 Post by umineko »

Updated our circle's website again! Now, you can download some of the backgrounds featured in Ikimashou!

https://bagel.mystrikingly.com/
https://poutine.mystrikingly.com/ (Direct)

Use them in your game! Use them as your profile banner! Use them as your desktop background! Just please be sure to follow the terms of the license! This includes crediting me (umineko-chan) and the photographer whenever possible.
Attachments
BAGEL POUTINE.png

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#11 Post by Zelan »

I'm a little confused as to why the game's title is in Japanese and features Japanese (but not English or French) voice acting when it's set in Canada. Obviously you have some characters who are Japanese, but otherwise it just seems..... idk, misleading isn't the right word and I can't figure out what is, but it's a little odd to me.

Regarding your search for an artist, have you tried posting in the Recruitment and Services Offered section of the forum?

umineko
Regular

#12 Post by umineko »

Zelan wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:31 am I'm a little confused as to why the game's title is in Japanese and features Japanese (but not English or French) voice acting when it's set in Canada. Obviously you have some characters who are Japanese, but otherwise it just seems..... idk, misleading isn't the right word and I can't figure out what is, but it's a little odd to me.

Regarding your search for an artist, have you tried posting in the Recruitment and Services Offered section of the forum?
Thanks for your feedback! I'll give my explanation regarding your concerns here:

Yes, I am not seeking English voice talent as I've gotten a good roundup of Japanese voice talent that fit my visions of the characters very well. The novel has anime-esque backgrounds in a different, Western setting, cute characters, and essentially a very soft and fluffy story that is light on the soul & unique! Combined with a pretty swell Canadian otaku fanbase as potential customers, this will surely be a breakthrough in the OELVN market! I am also planning Japanese translations, with the voiced portions already being translated as of now.

I am still holding off on hiring an artist as I want to gather a big talent pool that suits my needs and budget. Thanks for suggesting that I post there, though :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#13 Post by Zelan »

Makes sense, best of luck with your project!

(The Recruitment and Services Offered does have sections for people who are looking for volunteer team members rather than hiring, if I'm understanding your meaning correctly.)

umineko
Regular

#14 Post by umineko »

Worked on the trailer, lots of stuff is missing but it's coming together now! The song fits soooooo well, too!

umineko
Regular

#15 Post by umineko »

please delete this message
Last edited by umineko on Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.