J.K’S EVERYDAY [Horror] [Comedy] [Stat-Raising] [DEMO OUT NOW!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
JIMOTHIE
Projects: J.K’S EVERYDAY, CUE PITY'S ARROW
itch: jimothie

J.K’S EVERYDAY [Horror] [Comedy] [Stat-Raising] [DEMO OUT NOW!]

#1 Post by JIMOTHIE »

J.K is a sad, sad little man who works in real estate.

His boss is a literal pig and he is the only one who can understand it. His tenant sucks, as does his life. His only friends cannot even provide console as they’re even more swamped with work than usual.

To make matters worse, the plague is approaching J.K’s humble abode at an alarming pace.

Can he survive the rat invasion?

FEATURES

A seven-day story about friendship, paranoia, and the rat plague!

Six(?) endings!

Over 100+ randomised events!

Unique talking head sprites with loads of variations and animations!

➤ References to Aussie culture!

➤ Surprisingly educational content for a comedy!

➤ Somewhat forgiving stat-raising mechanics!

🔥 RNG HELL! 🔥

And it’ll be available for PC, Linux AND MacOS platforms for FREE!

CAST

J.K 🐺
A sad, sad man who works in real estate. His tenant is probably going to send him to an early grave. Notably stressed, depressed and in a dire need of a rest.

AISEGEN AINE 🐱
J.K's neighbour and a pest controller. Aisegen is out of town a lot, though he always pays his friends a visit in his ventures. He is pragmatic yet easily amused at J.K’s woes.

MAIKE KAUBE 🐰
J.K's friend from high school. The only employee at Bunny's he is willing to speak to. Despite her long hours and abysmal pay, she still carries herself cheerfully.

DR. HARCIEL HARCULYTE 🦈
J.K's psychiatrist. J.K knows next to nothing about them other than the fact that they love to chat and therefore dominate conversations.

THE PIG 🐷
J.K's boss. The Pig cannot be understood by ordinary humans, but J.K can understand it just fine. Despite the language barrier, it is very competent at its job.

Q&A

Will there be romance in this game?
Other than a subplot involving a secret romance, nope! All the main cast members are aromantic and/or asexual and I’m generally not interested in writing romance stories. Sorry, gamers!

I HATE stat-raisers! Will I still be able to enjoy J.K’S EVERYDAY?
Yes! JKSED’s stat-raising mechanics are unique in that the stat totals stack in multiple playthroughs through the use of persistent variables, like in a New Game+ type of way.
The stat-raising mechanics are used to determine which ending you’ll get in a particular playthrough but are otherwise superficial. There are also multiple ways to cheat it (but maybe not the ones you’re thinking...)
I also hate stat-raisers, by the way. So it also has that going for it.

Horror comedy? Horror and comedy? Black comedy?
All the above. In terms of horror, JKSED leans more psychological/denpa than towards anything particularly gruesome, but there’s also a lot of levity that comes with the comedic elements. There will be no real jumpscares.

How much of the final game will be randomised?
No two playthroughs will ever be the same! It’ll likely be impossible to 100% in terms of reading all the text. When I say RNG HELL, I really mean it...

Will there be accessibility options?
Yep! They’re still undergoing testing, hence they’re not in the demo currently, but I do plan on adding customisable font, text size and text spacing options. If everything goes well, you may even be able to add your own custom fonts to the game!

OTHER INFORMATION

Other information, such as credits and content warnings, can be found on JKSED’s official website.

DEMO FEATURES:

20 minutes of musophobic action!

A basic introduction to the story and main cast!

One (1) Joker (2019) reference!

➤ Everybody’s favourite pig boss!

✨ RNG HEAVEN! ✨

And it’s available for PC, Linux AND MacOS platforms for SUPER-FREE!

QUESTIONS

If you played the demo, I’d really appreciate it if you answered the following questions!
  • What aspects of the demo stood out to you most (music, art, writing quality, aesthetics, etc.)?
  • How did you feel about the second-person narration? Do you think JKSED would better benefit from a third-person perspective?
  • Did any particular character(s) catch your interest? If so; who and why?

Thanks for reading! 🤍
Last edited by JIMOTHIE on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
play J.K'S EVERYDAY 🐀

JIMOTHIE

Re: J.K’S EVERYDAY [Horror] [Comedy] [Stat-Raising] [DEMO OUT NOW!]

#2 Post by JIMOTHIE »

Revised some aspects of the DEMO from the original April 1st release, which will likely be its first (and last) major update.

(And by major, I mean I just fixed a typo and learnt how to archive files properly...)

See the corresponding itch.io devlog here: https://jimothie.itch.io/jksed-demo/dev ... her-things

I will also be going on hiatus for a couple of weeks to focus on my university studies.

Please take these WIP screenshots as severance!

(Spooky...)

(Pictured: the same photo of a stuffed toy bird duplicated multiple times.)

(Me and the pig boss out well on our way to getting hypothermia.)

(Typical Wednesday afternoon behaviour from Mr. J dot K Everyday.)

(Yes, this is Alan Rickman as he appears in Love Actually. Don't question it...)
play J.K'S EVERYDAY 🐀

JIMOTHIE

Re: J.K’S EVERYDAY [Horror] [Comedy] [Stat-Raising] [DEMO OUT NOW!]

#3 Post by JIMOTHIE »

Hello, hello! The hiatus is over and now I’m not an old man anymore(?!?)

For more info about JKSED’s past, present and future, check out this shiny new devlog! https://jimothie.itch.io/jksed-demo/dev ... and-future
play J.K'S EVERYDAY 🐀