Bright Oak [time travel] [science fiction] [slice of life and death] [friendship] [romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Widdershins
Regular
Completed: Burdock
Projects: Bright Oak
Organization: Butterfly Rocket Studios
Tumblr: brightoakgame
itch: ButterflyRocket
Discord: Widdershins_Writes

Re: Bright Oak [time travel] [science fiction] [slice of life and death] [friendship] [romance]

#16 Post by Widdershins »

For the final spooky short, I returned to Victoriana shenanigans for the classic best befitting Dr. Jasper Lee: Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
JasperThumbnail.png
All my gratitude to Remnantation for her lending her extraordinary art to this little self-assigned project, as well as her editing prowess (in which I also had great assists from the talented Wudgeous!)
ImageImage
Follow Bright Oak's progress on Itch ✨ Tumblr

Widdershins
Regular

Re: Bright Oak [time travel] [science fiction] [slice of life and death] [friendship] [romance]

#17 Post by Widdershins »

“Are you the new person drawn toward me?” (Walt Whitman)

Updated with the third full-color sprite, this time of sweet Sparrow! Remnantation​ worked wonders in bringing this colorful little 6′4″ bird to life, and I could not possibly be happier with how he’s turned out.
ImageImage

Widdershins
Regular

#18 Post by Widdershins »

Updated with Patti's gorgeous sprite, once more credit to Remnantation! Just one character left to go, and the full cast will be up!
ImageImage

Widdershins
Regular

#19 Post by Widdershins »

Happy New Year to you all! It’s been a hot minute since I last updated properly, so I’ll get right to it:
  • Wudgeous (of Herotome fame) continues to be my personal superhero, and has swooped in to save the day by coding the individual sprite layers (no mean feat, as each character has multiple variations in poses, outfits, and expressions!). They’ve also started working in blinking animation, which... blinking! John now blinks!
  • Remnantation has finished coloring 4/5 sprites, and is now working on Dr. Jasper Lee (we had a lovely long discussion this morning on the subject of exactly how tacky his tie should be). His character profile should be popping up very soon as result, so keep a lookout if you’re fond of complicated, handsome grumps in frumpy suits!
  • ALL music sketches done, and John is wrapping up refining each of the individual loops-- including the above-and-beyond work of creating variations for many of the themes. Seriously, I cannot, cannot wait to share the music for Bright Oak with everyone-- it’s truly something special!
  • Programmed character expressions for the first chapter;
  • Still holding steady at 22 backgrounds complete, but have two locations fully sketched, and several others in process. I did sit down and parse out what I have remaining: total, there are approximately 23 background sketches remaining, and 38 total remaining to be painted, accounting for day/night/am-pm variations. So, I can now say with fair certainty that we are at 22/59 backgrounds complete. That number may go up or down depending, but should remain in that ballpark.
PattisPlatesExt.png
To do next:
  • Backgrounds! Backgrounds! More backgrounds! More!
  • Continue to putter along with coding;
  • Rem will continue work on coloring;
  • Rem and I will nail down the list of CGs needed (for those unfamiliar with the term, these are special illustrations which pop up in response to specific story events and noteworthy dialogues);
  • I need to come up with a comprehensive checklist on what is needed for the spring demo release (yes, that’s the goal!)
I hope everyone is safe, warm, and well after the holidays, and may this new year treat you kindly!
ImageImage

Widdershins
Regular

#20 Post by Widdershins »

Updated with the final character intro, this time for Dr. Jasper Lee! As ever, credit to the wonderful Remnantation for her wonderful character art.
ImageImage

Widdershins
Regular

#21 Post by Widdershins »

Whoops, I fell off on updating here last time!
  • To lead with the biggest jump: superhero Wudgeous has finished base coding through the end of the second act(!), along with adding in sprite movement and effects. This is very promising news for meeting the May/June release goal for the demo, which will comprise the entire first act. It's also fantastic news for the game overall, because their handling of movement, sprite placement, and effects is all 🌟🌟🌟
  • Remnantation is finishing up Jasper's colors and some additional polish here and there (like blushes 🥰);
  • John's music now plays in the game, and OMG-OMG-OMG;
  • Background Countdown: I've finished five more background sketches, with a sixth in progress, and seven remaining for the demo / approximately 18 sketches remaining total (still at 22/60 backgrounds/variations fully complete, since I like to do the painting in batches to color match);
  • Created some homemade transitions with major help from Wudge;
  • Made slight additions to the scripting and dialogue in places.
I've also updated the main page with some fresh, piping hot screenshots, now that the characters are in full color. 💞 Will update again soon, but in the meantime, I am most active on my Tumblr page if you want to follow the action more closely.
ImageImage

Widdershins
Regular

#22 Post by Widdershins »

✨Update update update!✨

Let's start with the status on the demo release:
  • I am currently on track to release the demo in the latter half of June. Once all the assets are in place, I'll post an exact date; since there are a couple big set pieces and effects remaining to implement, though, I would like to get those mapped before trying to anticipate a more precise deadline;
  • The demo features the entirety of the first act of the game, including both of that act's story branches, and it clocks in at just under 40,000 words. It will be published on both Itch and Steam (though I have not yet set up the Steam page, it's on the to-do list). The demo will not include any CGs at release, however;
  • Background Countdown: we're down to just two sketches remaining for the demo, with approximately 12 sketches remaining total for the game as a whole (still at 22/60 total backgrounds/variations fully complete, since I like to do the painting in batches to color match)
Now, for the big picture stuff:
  • The incredibly talented Remnantation has reopened their commissions! Rem has been working on Bright Oak nearly as long as I have at this point, and in the process they've become an incredibly dear friend, as well as treasured collaborator. If you're looking for the whole package-- professionalism, talent, and excellent communication-- I can give them my whole-hearted recommendation. And if you're wondering what kind of magic Rem can do, just look at how dang cute Sparrow is here:
SparrowSass.png
  • John has provided the finalized tracks for the eventual, superlatively awesome soundtrack DLC;
  • I've assembled the main studio logo:
ButterflyRocketTxtBlk.png
I've also spent a little time revamping both my Itch.io page, and the Bright Oak Tumblr, where I post more regular updates. If Bright Oak has caught your fancy, let's be friends!
ImageImage

Widdershins
Regular

#23 Post by Widdershins »

Demo trailer is up-- full demo release on my Itch.io page coming on June 24th! I've been glowing about John Åhlin's phenomenal work on the original score, and now I finally get to show it off! ✨ Character art as ever by the wonderful Remnantation.

The free demo will comprise the whole first act (of three) in the story; I'm looking forward to sharing Bright Oak with you!
ImageImage

Widdershins
Regular

#24 Post by Widdershins »

Updated the main post, because the free act one demo is now up on Itch.io!
ImageImage