Parfum Nostalgique [DEMO][Kinetic][Vampire][Romance][Shoujo][Josei]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PriRo
Tumblr: parfumnostalgique

Parfum Nostalgique [DEMO][Kinetic][Vampire][Romance][Shoujo][Josei]

#1 Post by PriRo »

Parfum Nostalgique

A fantastic, romantic, dramatic, traumatic midlife crisis.

DEMO AND TRAILER

About
Parfum Nostalgique is a kinetic visual novel that details a small but eventful window of time in the life of 265 year old vampire. A therapist by day and a dom by night, Valdemar Andressen is a true eccentric, whose sustained sanity can be attributed to his comfortable city lifestyle and constant drunkenness on the feelings of humans around him.

A story of friendship, tragedy, and unconditional love that explores the conflict between moral personhood and the human necessity of wearing different masks, Parfum Nostalgique is a coming of age for those who have already come of age, or what some would call a “midlife crisis,” told from the point of view of an immortal man who hasn’t stopped living like a single man in his 30s for over 2 centuries.

Screenshots

Features
  • 50+ original watercolor stills
  • Original soundtrack and sound design
  • Partially voiced (voices not featured in demo) characters
  • Everything is done by one way too dedicated creator
B O N J O U R ! A self introduction + start to the conversation...

I'm Rose, and I'm the creator of Parfum Nostalgique. It's my passion project that I've been making on my own, aside from help with voices from voice actors and a small team of experienced writers who I trust for feedback. I am the artist, writer, composer, and programmer of this entire thing. For more information on this project, you can go to priro.pro or the official Twitter page, or, honestly, it's easier to just ask me things here.

Though the demo is short, it's dense! This project is actually in its last stages, but because of its dense nature, it's going to take at least 6 months for me to finish it. The entire script draft is finished, most sprites are finished except one or two, but a TON of stills and music are being made every single day. Look forward to seeing more screenshots that hopefully won't spoil anything, I love sharing!

Since I'm a sole creator, I gotta plug my obligatory Patreon so people can throw money at me. If you sign up for the mail tier, you will not be disappointed. There is new merch for this thing every month, and you will receive it in the prettiest envelope possible.

Some questions for anyone who wants to help, just to start a conversation because my brain is fried from finishing my demo this week:

1. If you play the demo, please let me know what you think! I'm planning on releasing an eventually extended demo to introduce more of the cast as well as share more of the plot. I'm definitely aware that there's a lot to be desired, but I hope you will enjoy the short demo as a relaxing and aesthetically pleasing experience!

2. Does anyone have experience crowdfunding for projects that are already well into development? I would really like to attempt a Kickstarter for this thing, because it would be nice to be fairly paid for the insane amount of work I'm doing (and also pay my voice actors, who, though they signed up for this as a volunteer project, I feel deserve to be paid in some way.) I have some clear ideas of what I would offer for Kickstarter perks, and how I would set up the page, but I have no idea how Kickstarter algorithms work/ how to set up a successful campaign. If anyone with experience crowdfunding can help me out, I'm so curious to get some real advice from a real person and not a YouTube video with vague information.

I'm going to post progress in this thread whenever I see fit, but I am more consistently posting on social media about this project. My website is a bit barren, but you can read one of the early AMAs on it if you'd like to know some real in-depth stuff, see some character sprites and inspo, and hear a piece from the soundtrack that sounds so early 90s goth it would bring Atsushi Sakurai to tears.

Thank you for your time and attention <3

Voz
Regular
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~
Deviantart: young-lyndis
Discord: Kaizarel#2858

Re: Parfum Nostalgique [DEMO][Kinetic][Vampire][Romance][Shoujo][Josei]

#2 Post by Voz »

The title and artwork were what drew me in almost immediately. The art especially! It's rather unique looking compared to everything else on forum in a really eye catching sort of way. It's like a weird fusion of late 80s shoujo and those vintage Parisian perfume and fashion prints from the late industrial era. Both perfectly suited to a story about vampires and dark romance.

I gave the demo a brief go, but unfortunately I don't think this is a type of story that I would be personally interested in myself. That said - I do love how you structured the imagery, the good amount of CGs and how they flow into each other really creates a great vibe to the whole thing. It does come off as a little jarring sometimes ( to me at least ) reading about streaming, cellphones, and other such modernity while framed by such an aesthetic though. Would be amazing for a period piece. But I also assume that's a core element in the story in general - that juxtapose.

Wishing you the best of luck in finishing your project! You can really feel the hard work you've put into it all so far :)

PriRo
Tumblr: parfumnostalgique

Re: Parfum Nostalgique [DEMO][Kinetic][Vampire][Romance][Shoujo][Josei]

#3 Post by PriRo »

Voz wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:03 am The title and artwork were what drew me in almost immediately. The art especially! It's rather unique looking compared to everything else on forum in a really eye catching sort of way. It's like a weird fusion of late 80s shoujo and those vintage Parisian perfume and fashion prints from the late industrial era. Both perfectly suited to a story about vampires and dark romance.

I gave the demo a brief go, but unfortunately I don't think this is a type of story that I would be personally interested in myself. That said - I do love how you structured the imagery, the good amount of CGs and how they flow into each other really creates a great vibe to the whole thing. It does come off as a little jarring sometimes ( to me at least ) reading about streaming, cellphones, and other such modernity while framed by such an aesthetic though. Would be amazing for a period piece. But I also assume that's a core element in the story in general - that juxtapose.

Wishing you the best of luck in finishing your project! You can really feel the hard work you've put into it all so far :)
Thank you so much for your comment! That's like, almost the EXACT fusion of art my art style is, except all my inspo has been 70s shoujo rather than 80s, but you still pinned it SO well. I was using actual Guerlain ads from the 30s for reference, too. I've been a copic and watercolor artist for years, and I actually just chose this art style because it was the easiest for me. I didn't expect my aesthetics to be as strong as they are when I started this thing, and I'm so proud of it.

Aaaa yeah especially the relaxing, more mundane nature of the demo won't be for everyone, but I'm hoping once I start burning vampires and scamming ex-wives out of thousands of dollars in this thing, it'll appeal to a wider audience! I mae the decision to make it modern because I suck so bad at worldbuilding, and wanted to make something in an era i was more familiar with. It was supposed to be set in the 70s, but I'm saving that setting for when I can really dedicate time to accurately portraying what it's like to live in NY in the 70s, which is a really sentimental part of my family's history. I also find that there's not a lot of stuff romanticizing the modern age these days, because it's kinda bleak, so I kept the more vintage aesthetics and applied them to modern-day things like phones and streaming to inspire a sense of fondness in myself for an era I'm not to fond of at the moment!

It really means a lot to me that you took the time to write this, and it was very validating to hear how well I executed the aesthetic I was going for!