Somnium [Sci-fi, Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
vorgbardo
Regular
Projects: Head Case

Somnium [Sci-fi, Mystery]

#1 Post by vorgbardo »

BACKGROUND
I've been working on two other "main" projects. With the first one I hired people to do different aspects; it was especially hard to find artists who would be committed to the project, and after a while I ran out of money. That project will be continued when I have saved enough money to do so. With the second project I decided to do everything myself, but not surprisingly that is quite a Herculean undertaking with a full-fledged branching story, and it will take quite a while. I wanted to get something done and out for a change, so I decided to create "Somnium", a small-scale experimental visual novel. I will also use this project as an opportunity to map out how and to what extent AI tools can be used to help with the asset creation.

TEAM
I am a writer and UI designer, and for this project I will also be the coder and make all the assets. We have a fluid cooperative/group/whatchamacallit currently consisting of two other persons, one who is knowledgeable about the legal and business side of things and one who helps with music, sound effects, and other sonic stuff, but they won't probably participate in this side project apart from testing.

STORY
"Somnium" is a short story (< 7k words long). If examined in the light of literal techniques, it is a frame story (of sorts). Genre is speculative fiction / sci-fi. Story structure is ready, writing the dialogue is ongoing. The story will not follow typical visual novel conventions, I am unsure how that'll be received but very interested to find out and hear opinions.

WORLD
"Somnium" is set in the same world as one of our planned "real" projects, so there is a lot of pre-existing world lore. The premise is actually directly linked to one major backstory event of another project. However, the story of "Somnium" is strictly about the characters and their situation; exposition is limited to what occurs naturally via dialogue.

FEATURES
- Full 1920x1080 HD resolution
- Kinetic novel (no branching to keep the scope small enough)
- 100% original backgrounds, music, "sprites"
- Sprites will be atypical, see example below
- Possibly voice acting, depending on how long other aspects take

CHARACTERS
There will be six characters. Instead of traditional sprites, characters will be represented with static avatar images. Still pinpointing the art style, I'm trying to reach something along the lines of "quasi-realistic but still not a photograph". An example of the current style below.
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

paranooo

Re: Somnium [Sci-fi, Mystery]

#2 Post by paranooo »

Looks cool, I love AI art!