Choice between KN & VN

Forum rules
If a game has an existing topic, post there, rather than creating a new topic.
DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

Choice between KN & VN

#1 Post by DragoonHP »

It should not affect the general gameplay of the story, but is including both KN and VN a good idea?
I mean, having a choice between both those...

For people who like KN, can just play the KN part and proceed to what will be the true ending in the VN and another arc for VN lovers who like more interactivity...
For some time, I even thought about using radical choices (the ones which will only lead to a single ending, no matter the route chosen) but decided against it... since it will dampen the fun for both KN and VN lovers...

So what do you think?
Is it a good idea to include both these version, or should I just go with just KN or VN?

PS: The KN script is short, with only 5,000 something words...

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Choice between KN & VN

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Here's what I think at least:

3 types of people, those who want the KN only, those who want the VN only, and those who want both.

The KN people will have to download more data to get their KN (this could be bad)
The VN people will have to download a little bit more data to get their VN (this could be a little bad)

The people who like both only have to download once (this is more convenient for them)

You could do it as two separate files, and this would be the result:
The KN people only have to download a small file (this could be pretty good)
The VN people download a slightly smaller file (this could be a little bit better)

The people who like both have to download 2 files (this is a bit less convenient)

I'd say it's up to you to decide what's better overall, but these are the + and - of doing what you are considering.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

I think KN vs. VN is a question you should ask the story you're writing, not the players.

That is to say, if you write a visual novel, I doubt it would be as good with the branches hacked off, and if you write a kinetic novel, it's not a good idea to insert random choices just to appeal to the VN crowd (because it won't).
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DragoonHP »

@redeyesblackpanda: Thanks for the info...

@Sapphi: I get what you want to say... but the thing is I had planned it as VN, but during the course of writing I lied the Kn part so much that I decided to just omit out the VN part because I kind of felt that the other arcs/routes were meek in comparison...
But yes, in the end I will have to decide it...

Thanks to both of you... ^.^

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Last Window is KN that want to be a VN. There are only two endings: THE ending and one bad ending.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DragoonHP »

Just wiki-ed it and it sounds interesting...

And I had four endings planned... but I am now thinking that going with one option will be better...

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#7 Post by Anna »

As others said it depends entirely on your story. I'm not sure what kind of story it is, but routes are only necessary if you think they improve the story; if they add something good. If you still want to use choices in your novel, but avoid real routes, then you can add choices to improve the tension or something (if it fits). Though the fact THAT you can ditch the routes is actually a bit worrisome to me, since apparently they're not that important for the story then :p.

If both your KN and VN idea are already completed or near completion (as in you don't need to do tons of work for them anymore), then I would just post both since you already did it. If you still need to do a lot, I would pick one, because if you pick the KN, then you'll be writing a lot less and can nitpick more on the story or make it look awesome. Whereas if you pick a VN with routes, it's silly to give people the option 'less content' 'full content'.

I actually wrote something specifically about this a while ago, so maybe that will help. Read this and consider for yourself if you really need choices and routes or not.

In the end, I'm fine with whatever you choose :D! Don't let your players decide such a thing for you (ever)!

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DragoonHP »

Anna wrote:As others said it depends entirely on your story. I'm not sure what kind of story it is, but routes are only necessary if you think they improve the story; if they add something good. If you still want to use choices in your novel, but avoid real routes, then you can add choices to improve the tension or something (if it fits). Though the fact THAT you can ditch the routes is actually a bit worrisome to me, since apparently they're not that important for the story then :p.
Nah... it's that when I was writing the "True Ending", I really liked it and decided that other routes didn't need to be there (also the fact that at that time I didn't have much resources at my disposal...)
Anna wrote:If both your KN and VN idea are already completed or near completion (as in you don't need to do tons of work for them anymore), then I would just post both since you already did it. If you still need to do a lot, I would pick one, because if you pick the KN, then you'll be writing a lot less and can nitpick more on the story or make it look awesome. Whereas if you pick a VN with routes, it's silly to give people the option 'less content' 'full content'.
They will both need work, since I am doing major edits in the storyline...
And that's the thing that is worrying me... and forced me to ask the question...
I actually thought of this because well I am a KN lover :-p and generally prefer KN's over VN's... but the interactivity VN is a rather strong factor...
Anna wrote:I actually wrote something specifically about this a while ago, so maybe that will help. Read this and consider for yourself if you really need choices and routes or not.
I read it and it was quite good.... ^,^
Anna wrote:In the end, I'm fine with whatever you choose :D! Don't let your players decide such a thing for you (ever)!
I always mess up my wordings...
It was not asking the players, it was just.. umm... gathering data to come to a conclusion...

Thanks for your view... :)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#9 Post by fleet »

Not too long ago there was discussion here at LSF about mini-games in visual novels. Jack_Norton took it to heart and for at least one of his Vera Blanc visual novels, enabled the player to chose whether or not to play mini-games by making a menu choice at the start of the visual novel. Jack_Norton's Vera Blanc VNs are made with Ren'py.
You can probably do something similar.
I don't use Ren'py, so I can't give you specific "how to" instructions.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DragoonHP »

Of course fleet...
Thank you for your suggestions... and I believe I can code that...