Loren Amazon Princess beta demo [RPG, all combos]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Loren Amazon Princess beta demo [RPG, all combos]

#1 Post by jack_norton »

Download link (96mb):
http://winterwolves.com/download.php?game=LorenRPG.zip (all 3 platforms included)

It's a story-based old-school RPG, with turn-based party combat (up to 6 vs 6 battles). I'd like people to test it, is quite long even if it's not the full 1st chapter yet, but you can play several battles.
Note that many icons are still temporary, as the map and other minor details. I'm mostly interested to know how to improve the user interface and the gameplay! But of course if you find typos or dialogues out of place (like talking during the Camp screen with a character about something that didn't happen yet) I want to hear about that too.

follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

applegirl
Veteran

Re: Loren Amazon Princess beta demo [RPG, all combos]

#2 Post by applegirl »

Hey Jack! One bug I ran into when after I sided with the elves and got the mission. I went back to the elves settlement and selected the option to "shop" when an error list popped up. Also, I noticed a typo in the first mission screen in terms of experience points. My mission screen said 1000 XP the first time and then 100 XP the second time.

Overall: I am very impressed by this demo and eager to buy. The story was compelling and I was very disappointed when it ended. The characters were very interesting and fun to interact with. I really felt like I was in a fantasy world and I loved it :)

I also understand why you didn't publish the version with the Christina Vee song, but I am very eagerly awaiting hearing that too.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by jack_norton »

applegirl wrote:Hey Jack! One bug I ran into when after I sided with the elves and got the mission. I went back to the elves settlement and selected the option to "shop" when an error list popped up. Also, I noticed a typo in the first mission screen in terms of experience points. My mission screen said 1000 XP the first time and then 100 XP the second time.
Ah no, maybe is not very clear, but you can have a Quest, and Sub-Quests.
The main quest is find queen Karen, and once you complete it = 1000XP
The first subquest is to reach Grimoire and once you complete it = 100XP

Not sure, maybe I should just make single quests and not use the subquests? will see if other people are confused by this too :)
applegirl wrote:Overall: I am very impressed by this demo and eager to buy. The story was compelling and I was very disappointed when it ended. The characters were very interesting and fun to interact with. I really felt like I was in a fantasy world and I loved it :)
Thanks, cheers to Aleema for that. I got lots of feedback in forums and by email, but basically everyone agreed that the writing was excellent.
applegirl wrote:I also understand why you didn't publish the version with the Christina Vee song, but I am very eagerly awaiting hearing that too.
Yes, for contracts reasons the song will be out only when the final game is released ;)
computer games

applegirl
Veteran

#4 Post by applegirl »

Haha, sorry about that. I played it on little sleep, so that was probably just me being tired. But the shop error with the elves was consistent on my end (although I forgot to copy down what the error message said).

Definitely the writing was great for this VN and I think on par with sakevisual in terms of enjoyment. I think it flowed so naturally (and aided with an epic storyline) made for a really immersive and enjoyable experience. The only thing holding back Planet Stronghold in my mind was a bit of the writing, but this VN definitely doesn't have that problem.

I was curious: will the relationship bar pop up if we manage to pick the favorable option? I never realized how dependent I was on that until it didn't show up for the demo and I got worried that I managed to pick the wrong choice each time :lol:. I also happened to really enjoy the achievements that were possible in Planet Stronghold (definitely made the replaying even more fun :)).

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by jack_norton »

applegirl wrote:Haha, sorry about that. I played it on little sleep, so that was probably just me being tired. But the shop error with the elves was consistent on my end (although I forgot to copy down what the error message said).
No that bug is real, other people reported it
applegirl wrote:Definitely the writing was great for this VN and I think on par with sakevisual in terms of enjoyment. I think it flowed so naturally (and aided with an epic storyline) made for a really immersive and enjoyable experience. The only thing holding back Planet Stronghold in my mind was a bit of the writing, but this VN definitely doesn't have that problem.
Well you'd be glad to know that Aleema should be the one writing Planet Stronghold sequel too 8) will take a bit more time but worth it in the end!
applegirl wrote:I was curious: will the relationship bar pop up if we manage to pick the favorable option? I never realized how dependent I was on that until it didn't show up for the demo and I got worried that I managed to pick the wrong choice each time :lol:. I also happened to really enjoy the achievements that were possible in Planet Stronghold (definitely made the replaying even more fun :)).
Hmm no I haven't put any relationship bar, but indeed I should do it. About the achievements, IF I add them (not sure yet) they'll be the last thing I add to the game just before the final version :)
computer games

applegirl
Veteran

#6 Post by applegirl »

Thanks Jack :) I'm very eager for the final version and would love it to come out as soon as possible. If the achievements idea delay the game at all, I'd rather do without it than wait any longer. Of course, visual novels of this high quality don't come out every day, so I'm definitely fine with waiting patiently :D It really is an impressive game with a complex and enjoyable battle system. I am now a bit curious if this Loren expansion will be out before the PS expansion, but both are automatic buys for me so I'll be happy regardless the situation.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by jack_norton »

The Loren expansion will for sure be out first, also because I'm not making a simple "PS expansion" anymore like I originally planned, but a whole new game (so probably long as the first one!).
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

#8 Post by Mirage »

I tried the demo just now, and well...the GUI is not showing properly, so the brown text appears on the dark background making it impossible to read. Orz
I tried the battle though. It's pretty well made. :)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by jack_norton »

Try playing it in DX mode, I think should work correctly! (shift+G, and select Angle/DX renderer)
computer games

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#10 Post by nyaatrap »

Mirage wrote:I tried the demo just now, and well...the GUI is not showing properly, so the brown text appears on the dark background making it impossible to read. Orz
I tried the battle though. It's pretty well made. :)
It also occurred to me in both DX mode and OpenGL mode. I thought I'm using the newest intel hd graphics, but it seems it had a bug. Did you try to download the newest driver? The problem is solved in my case.

Mirage
Veteran

#11 Post by Mirage »

I followed Jack's instruction and it still doesn't work. Does that mean I have to get some driver before it works? (what kind of driver btw?)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#12 Post by nyaatrap »

The latest graphics driver of your GPU.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by jack_norton »

Yes even on my netbook Ren'Py games weren't working properly until I downloaded the latest videocard drivers. Of course, it was an intel card too... :roll:
computer games

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#14 Post by Wright1000 »

Played this one yesterday.
The story was good and so was the artwork.
I found some typos and grammatical errors. I've listed them out for you. Hope you fix them in the final release.
Other than that, everything was nicely done. I like the combat system.
...Any lovers the woman took would be very fortunate men, even if she did not love them.
Grob finally gave up.
...Swarming around them, shouting obscenities.
I have come bearing...
...shattering it into pieces.
...Agree with this principle.
...with more respect she had ever with her before.
If what she says is true...
I also found a bug, two actually, when you decide to go to the shop in either town.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/locations.rpy", line 36, in script call
  File "game/locations.rpy", line 36, in script call
  File "game/locations.rpy", line 42, in script
  File "game/locations.rpy", line 42, in python
  File "game/RPG Framework/inventory.rpy", line 219, in python
  File "game/RPG Framework/inventory.rpy", line 283, in python
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'E:\\LorenRPG\\LorenRPG-all/game/vendorgrimoire.csv'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "E:\LorenRPG\LorenRPG-all\renpy\execution.py", line 261, in run
  File "E:\LorenRPG\LorenRPG-all\renpy\ast.py", line 632, in execute
  File "E:\LorenRPG\LorenRPG-all\renpy\python.py", line 977, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "game/locations.rpy", line 42, in <module>
  File "game/RPG Framework/inventory.rpy", line 219, in __init__
  File "game/RPG Framework/inventory.rpy", line 283, in parse
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'E:\\LorenRPG\\LorenRPG-all/game/vendorgrimoire.csv'

Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP2
Ren'Py 6.13.8.1675
Loren The Amazon Princess 0.7
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by jack_norton »

Thanks I'm having someone check the texts already. I fixed the bug already, but will upload a new version only at end of the month :)
computer games