School Panic Public Beta [School, Slice o' Life][BxG]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Compulsive Liar
Regular
Projects: Sentimental Dreamers

School Panic Public Beta [School, Slice o' Life][BxG]

#1 Post by Compulsive Liar »

Behold, School Panic gets its first public beta.

School Panic: Lucas' Misplaced Trust

Just last week I was a pretty average guy. I played cards with my best friend at lunch, procrastinated over homework, and was even beginning to develop a relationship with a girl. In hindsight, it was a good life. Now... all that is gone. The girl I liked is avoiding me, and my best friend has become a distance melancholic. I'm even getting blackmailed to betray the one person who is still there for me. Could my life get any worse?

School Panic is set at Coorandale High School. A place where house rivalries are taken to a whole new level. The game follows the experiences of Drago Pain (working name) as he and his house get unsuspectingly caught up in the middle of a feud between the Green Geckos (Green House) and the Red Ribbons (Red House). There will be love, loss, betrayal, school work, practical jokes, and gossip. Plenty of gossip.

The game is set to be organized into five chapters: Lucas' Misplaced Trust, Kiah's Perfect Revenge, Yukiko's Neverending Drama, Nomiya's Forbidden Palace, and Jarrah's Wild Ride.

This beta test contains the first episode, which features three core paths that splinter into seven or so endings. The source code for this episode is just shy of 40000 words. Don't worry about the size though, you'll only be exposed to a fraction of that during a single play-through.

There are a few images and action sequences that need completing, but story wise this episode is finished. It just needs a bit of polishing (hence the beta test).

erinism
Regular

Re: School Panic Public Beta [School, Slice o' Life][BxG]

#2 Post by erinism »

Sounds pretty Shakespearean... Fancy.

I love the names of your chapters, they make me feel itchy to play the game and find out what they mean - Will be waiting for this!

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#3 Post by tigerkidde »

I like the excerpt. T'as drawn me in.

Compulsive Liar
Regular
Projects: Sentimental Dreamers

#4 Post by Compulsive Liar »

erinism wrote:Will be waiting for this!
You could just skip the waiting and play the beta. :D It is going to be a very long time before I release the full version.

http://stratagus.com/forums/SchoolPanic-2012-08-15.zip

Some things I've gathered from the feedback:
  • Drago needs more narration. His thoughts and motivations aren't clear.
  • Some paths make Drago out to be a rather terrible person. In the words of Fenrir, "WHY THE &&& WOULD YOU SAY SOMTHING THAT STUPID! I want to stab Drago. He is a stupid idiot." Hopefully introducing narration will better show his side of the story.
Also some notes I should add:
  • Restart the game when you start a new playthrough. Variables do not get reset between games.
  • Girls seem to like this VN more then the guys do. Odd. I would have thought it be the other way around. Perhaps it has something to do with the initial choices that are made?
  • Go shopping if you don't want Drago to worry too much about life, school work, and Sia's opinion.
  • Keeping the things from your past locked up inside will make you a bitter person.