The Court of the Two Sides [Romance|Fantasy|Intrigue]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

The Court of the Two Sides [Romance|Fantasy|Intrigue]

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

"This is the only time you can prove yourself. Like what you keep on saying to yourself as a little child of this world, take this chance, or leave it."

---

After decades of battles and thousands of deaths, the elven nation of Astoerien and the human nation of Rheiviel had finally came to an agreement to stop their war. A treaty was signed, all was well…

…or so they said.

The discrimination between their two races never ceased, their petty arguments never resolved. The issues still remained and their problems between each other never stopped. Over the years, they keep on finding a way to hate each other, and another war is threatening to begin.

This was a problem for you, a young lady born between the romance of an elf and a human. As soon as you were separated from your parents, finding a safe life was hard, and you knew that the political issues between these two nations must end.

One day, you received a letter from both the Council of Astoerien and the Rheivielian Monarchy — you are to attend a diplomatic meeting between the two nations, to straighten out issues that violate their treaty, and to provide solutions fair to all. Being a half-breed they will assume your opinions would be equal to all… but that now, depends to you.

Be a lady in court: resolve political issues, know your friends and enemies, be the good or bad of the court. Form alliances, rebel with the noblemen, start a rebellion, if you want to. Will you be the admiration of the noblemen and women, or the dirt on which they step on? Would there be friendship, rivalry, or love? The doors of the Amaryllis estate opens to you.

Welcome to the conference.

--

Screenshots
ImageImage

--

Download Demo 0.5 here!

--

Credits for this demo:
  • Lumen_Astrum -- Main Writing, Story, Coding
  • Freu Schneider -- Research and Concept (yes that is not her real name)
  • Tasogare-Tei -- Backgrounds
  • SENTIVE, DOVA-SYNDROME, Free Play Music, MaestroRage, Galdson, Stefano Mocini -- Music
  • freeSFX, soundsepher -- SFX
  • Nancie, The Programmer, Castielle, azureXtwilight -- Co-writers
For those who have finished the demo:
  • Who seems more interesting: the elves's Grand Elder or the humans's Ambassador? Am I not pushing the protagonist too much to them?
  • Was building character and understanding the system ever hard? For the court sim, is there any required changes?
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Re: The Court of the Two Sides [Romance|Fantasy|Intrigue]

#2 Post by Coren »

Here, have a really lame running commentary about my thoughts:
- Nice nvl mode. I think it suits the medieval atmosphere of the story.
- Hmm I think you should pause between lines - sometimes suddenly BAM HUGE PARAGRAPH and it gets hard to keep up with. Just a personal thought, though.
- A suggestion - pick one tense and stick to it. It's confusing having "He said, blah blah" and then suddenly "You have to get in".
- PM'd you the rest of the spelling/grammar things you should take a bit of a note on. :)
- Cool lady appears! Would've been extra cool with graphics. :P
- Gotta say I love those medieval European backgrounds. I know they weren't original, but they're still pretty and suit the story.
- Haha Lu is it just me or do you have a habit of having evil male guards bullying little girls XDDDD
- The descriptions are pretty nice. They remind me of some Victorian novellas.
- Oh just in case you want to know, you have this music track playing in the hall that starts off low and ends up super dramatic - it's a lovely song, but thing is, when it loops, it sounds very awkward since it sounds super dramatic then suddenly cuts off to being super quiet again.
- How come learning public speaking reduces your cunning? ._< I thought it'll make you more cunning or something.
- Haha, I think if I ever took classes on "how to trick people", I won't be telling everyone about it. If I have to, at least I'll phrase it as "how to get to know people and understand them to communicate better with them... XD"... :P
- Hehe I see you went ahead with "Lias" for Illias. :P It's nice. I like it.
- Wow there sure are a lot of reputation choices. I'm not sure if keeping quiet adds to your reputation though. Your reputation can be reduced if you talk out of place, but I don't think it can increase if you don't talk. XD Just my two cents here.
- Mme. Fontaire sounds like Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter heh.
- HAHAHAHHAA THOMAS ROUSSEL! T. ROUSSEL! HAHHAHAHA ehem sorry I get easily tickled by puns
- The elves seem like a much nicer bunch than the humans for some reason.
- Children?! Ouch those humans are a vicious bunch. Wait what?
- It's a little hard casting a vote without knowing the context of those regions, though. All of the people are just making use of pathos to make it seem as if they deserve these regions, but that's not enough information. It's a really big responsibility to have the protagonist be responsible of making a choice when she hardly knows anything. /:
- Woah my speech was an overwhelming success. That was easy.
- lulz Alex goes to "freshen up".
- ... Did the protagonist just curse? ._.
- The demo just ended. Gosh Clement is creepy.
Can't wait for the full version! :)

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#3 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Edited first post so it'll look prettier.
Kirroha wrote:
It's a little hard casting a vote without knowing the context of those regions, though. All of the people are just making use of pathos to make it seem as if they deserve these regions, but that's not enough information. It's a really big responsibility to have the protagonist be responsible of making a choice when she hardly knows anything. /:
Hahaha, that actually gave me an idea! I thought that enough background information on the war and pathos would be enough since I don't want it to be too technically big, and because it'd be harder to pick sides if there's too many politics flying around the screen. Not to mention the fact that no one really touched or took interest on the regions before the conference was held.
I'm interested as to what was your decision, though. ;D
Kirroha wrote:
- How come learning public speaking reduces your cunning? ._< I thought it'll make you more cunning or something.
- Haha, I think if I ever took classes on "how to trick people", I won't be telling everyone about it. If I have to, at least I'll phrase it as "how to get to know people and understand them to communicate better with them... XD"... :P
- Wow there sure are a lot of reputation choices. I'm not sure if keeping quiet adds to your reputation though. Your reputation can be reduced if you talk out of place, but I don't think it can increase if you don't talk. XD Just my two cents here.
Character creation's still a little rough on the edges, so the "reward and consequence" part of the stat customization's still a little unjustified. I think the only part that was a bit complete is the first menu for the high noble, since I spent an entire night writing that -_-The rest was random because I was running out of time.

As for reputation choices, thanks for the note. I'll try to change that as well.
Kirroha wrote:
HAHAHAHHAA THOMAS ROUSSEL! T. ROUSSEL! HAHHAHAHA ehem sorry I get easily tickled by puns
... I don't get the pun, sorry. xD
Speaking of puns, Essi's older name was Siiri. Freu thought it might lead to iPhone jokes so I changed it...
Kirroha wrote:Can't wait for the full version! :)
Thank you for your comments and everything! :)

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#4 Post by distorsion »

Wow, I would really love it if the download cite actually worked so I could download this! OAO
Edit: Ok got it to work by using another browser we're good! ^w^
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#5 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Oh, thanks for trying it out! I'd love to hear your opinion soon. :D

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#6 Post by distorsion »

Ok finished the demo. This game... I have a mighty need to play the full version. It's beautifully written, has a varied cast of character, and the complexity of the decisions you are meant to make as a member of the conference are wonderfully crafted, difficult enough to pose a challenge but not so complex that you're at a complete loss for what to do. I can't wait to see this work complete!
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#7 Post by merdeamour »

Oh my gosh. I love this! As a demo, it's fulfilled my requirements of piquing my interest enough to look forward to the full game. I love the graphics, and the storytelling is amazing. Perfect.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you so much!

We're working on finishing the full version; look forward to it! There will be a Demo 1.0 after all the sprites are finished and after I've finished polishing character creation and the court simulation. Do you guys want a later cut than the one in the demo, or do you want to keep it as it is? I think it's okay because well, cliffhanger.

A later cut would mean more scenes, but that would give everything away XD

The planned change log (v.2):
  • Polished and justified reward and consequence character creation system (that includes the reputation choices)
  • More detailed background story
  • Fixed court session system (so it would flow more smoothly) and longer conversations at the court simulation
  • Either a law system to analyze history and law backgrounds OR a "thinking chair" system to analyze what you know so far to replace the "analyze the situation" choice during the court session
  • Variations at conversations depending on class and statistics
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

merdeamour
Veteran

#9 Post by merdeamour »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:Thank you so much!

The planned change log:
  • Polished and justified reward and consequence character creation system
  • More detailed character background per class
  • Fixed reputation scenes
  • Extended conversations at the court simulation
  • "Law system" at court simulation where you analyze historical and legal backgrounds to support your decision (I'm still not yet sure to this because it might get overly complicated)
  • Variations at conversations depending on class and statistics
^^^ Those reasons make me want to play the game. Question, though--is this a commercial game? Sorry if I missed the part where you say whether it's commercial or not >< Anyway, looking forward to this game!
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#10 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

This is freeware, not commercial. :)

Just in case anyone asks again.

merdeamour
Veteran

#11 Post by merdeamour »

Ah, there was something I forgot to mention, though... there was a tendency to switch between past and present tense, and there were a few spelling mistakes... other than that, the demo was perfect (:
-Vincent van Gogh

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#12 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Well, I only had like three hours to fix everything. And I was only fixing punctuation errors. >_< But I'll get an editor next time, don't worry! :)

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#13 Post by arachni42 »

Just finished playing the demo. I would be interested in the Demo 1.0 cutting off at the same place; personally, I'm interested in going through it again with more polish and actual sprites.

There were definitely a fair number of typos, but it sounds like you're on that. ^_^

The textbox seemed a bit hard to read, at least with that font, that color, and that size. It's also a bit visually plain, especially compared to the backgrounds. I did really like that it was off to the side, though, and not covering the whole screen. The backgrounds were cool and appropriate.

I think there should be some vertical spaces between the menu choices, so I can tell at a glance which one is which and how many there are; I was relying on the mouse hover color to distinguish some of them.
The way the paragraphs appeared in the nvl window was fine with me, but I was thrown off when there was a background change. The transition causes the window to disappear for a second, so my expectation was that when the window reappeared, the text was all new. I caught on, of course, but it might be a good idea to nvl clear after those transitions. There was a bug in the path I chose where text overflowed. The line was "Midnight? You try to remember the time of the day [...]" with Lady Ileria; the script basically is missing a "nvl clear" around line 1030.

The stats made sense for the first couple choices, but it was a little confusing getting the big boost when deciding your background. It made logical sense -- your background would be significant, and it's cooler to choose it at the time you do than at the beginning. On the other hand, it felt weird for me because I couldn't really gauge what all the stats mean or how they will impact me as a player. It also makes the choices you make as a player seem less significant.
When you actually go to make a decision about the lands...
I chose "talking to people" before "analyze the situation," so when the "analyze the situation" choice said "go talk to people," it felt odd. I agree with having the choice to back out when you click "make a decision," so that you can go back and talk to people again if you want. I like the fact that after you talk to a person about one conversation topic, it goes back to the menu with their other conversation topics. I liked that there was an option to stop talking to them... the thing I didn't like, though, is that when you stopped talking to them, it would go allll the way back to the menu where you have to click, "talk to people," then "talk to elves," then "talk to X," as opposed to going back to the "talk to X" menu.
It did feel like there wasn't a lot of information to make a decision on. ...or, at least, why, as a disinterested party, choose NOT to try to divide the lands fairly? I mean... how does the decision actually influence ME? Also, I didn't understand the option that said that the lands are dangerous. I don't remember anyone saying anything about that, but I also didn't go back and talk to everyone a second time. Does the protagonist know something they don't?
Also, make sure to change "Talley" to "tally" (unless there is a person named Talley that I missed), and "moral" to "morale"
Although your background is revealed through the plot, the reason why you were invited to court is not clear in the game. I'd recommend weaving that in.

As far as the Grand Elder and Ambassador, both seemed interesting. It's too early to say. I am glad the protagonist will get to "know" them better.

The stat system was making sense, but the huge boost I mentioned above made it feel harder (to me) to keep track of. And it wasn't clear exactly how the stats apply. For example, I wondered if high intelligence, cunning, and reputation (my highest stats) good enough for a speech, or if that was a charm, perception, and/or creativity based thing? My perception/charm/creativity were low relative to my higher stats (60/65/65 vs 80), but I had no sense of what is "high" and what is not when it comes to making decisions.
I tried making comments about other people's speeches, thinking this may be more suited to cunning, but it fell flat... I went back and did the speech, and the speech did wonderfully! From the text it seemed that reputation was the key.
I was also very surprised when a bath increased my cunning!
Regarding the stats:
Intelligence: makes sense -- I assume it's how smart/knowledgeable you are.
Charm: also make sense -- I assume it's how charismatic you seem to other people.
Cunning: There could be some overlap with intelligence, but I can understand how it's different (it is not knowledge based).
Willpower: makes sense -- I assume it's how determined you are in the face of adversity.
Perception: not sure -- Is it how people perceive you? (would overlap with charm) Is it how you perceive other people? (would overlap with intelligence/cunning, although less so... I would assume it's more of a social intelligence, which is different from both of those, but I am not sure that non-social intelligence would have much value in this game. When it comes to succeeding in decisions, I would expect cunning would take precedence.)
Creativity: Seems like this would overlap with cunning; it makes sense that it's different but I am not sure how that applies to the kind of choices in this game. In a way it could be considered a prerequisite to cunning.
Wealth: meaningless without a frame of reference.. if you don't actually buy stuff in the game, descriptive words (ie. "high," "average") would be better than a number (if you do... maybe descriptive words in addition to the number?)
Reputation: I understand what this means but not how it applies. (there is some overlap with charm -- I would assume reputation applies to people who don't know you, and charm applies to people you're interacting with in the present, although, in present interaction it seems reputation would interfere with charm if one is high and one is low, and vice versa)

I think you're right in that a "law system" could get overly complicated... but it depends on how you do it. I think the important thing is to make choices meaningful both going into it and in the results.

Anyway, good luck! I will be awaiting the next demo. ^_^

EDIT:
Consider doing a "encyclopedia" type screen where you can see the things you've learned so far. I think that would be helpful!
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#14 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thanks a lot! XD Hahaha, there were some things and choices that I haven't justified yet in the stat buildup, and I wasn't entirely sure as to what sort of stats affect what scenes.
Like I said, character creation isn't that polished yet. XD The choices will most likely remain the same, but then I would edit the stats in a way you'd start with 50 for all stats no matter the class. That's what I did before and I ended up getting stats that are either too high or way too low (in a test run I once got a 23 in willpower and a staggering 98 on intelligence...)

It's my first time making simulations like this so thanks for the comments *A*

In the decision part, there would be an extra choice if you are a merchant or a servant, hence the "lands are dangerous" choice. Like I said, character creation isn't polished yet. xD I wasn't sure either as to where to direct the dialogue as soon as the protagonist finishes talking to a person, so I just made it jump back to the main choices. I'll do some adjustments in the analyzing the situation part; thanks a lot!

*edits her own aimed change log with an embarrassed face*

As for plot holes, the lack of story was quite intentional; I was thinking of adding them in later gradually. And oh, wealth plays more part later in the game.

The bath increased cunning? Just look at the first part: walking shyly adds up your creativity. I'm so smart. /sarcasm No, really, some of the stat choices are "forced" stat additions, as in the choices are laid out for everything to feel balanced. I'll fix them up pronto so as not to make silly choices like that XD
Thank you for the comments! I'll do some serious drafting now...

victorita9
Regular

#15 Post by victorita9 »

When I play it just stops at this scene:

"After a certain length of time--you aren't sure how long exactly, the conservation with Lady Ileria and Mne Clement is quite entertaining no matter how annoying the latter was--a bell rung from somewhere in the estate."

But it seems like a fun game so far.