Freak-Quency(Updated, full version)

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

Re: Freak-Quency(Updated)

#16 Post by ludeshka »

I'm going to chime in and say what others have said: Yeah, you need to take out everything you're not sure you can use.
You'd get a bad reputation if it turns out that person didn't want their work used, and it could get very tiring for you to explain over and over you didn't know.

I know I'm stressing something that other people said, and I hope you're not offended by it, but the thing is I NEED YOU TO HAVE LOTS OF FUN AND NOT BE DISCOURAGED FROM MAKING GAMES, OKAY?

I need it because I LOVED this demo, and groaned when it was over because I wanted more IMMEDIATELY.

It's fun, it's intriguing, and you can do all sort of things, and I want to do sidequests, and it's about a lot of things I find really interesting, so please, you have to keep working on this, and I hope it makes you very happy!

What you have so far ROCKS! Please keep working on it.

Also, thank you SO much for making the "old pc/laptop" version available to poor broke people like me. I (and surely many others) really appreciate it!

Xerofit51
Veteran
Completed: Freak-quency, Harvest-Moon spin off
Projects: Freak-quency
Deviantart: xerofit51

#17 Post by Xerofit51 »

I know I'm stressing something that other people said, and I hope you're not offenx y ded by it, but the thing is I NEED YOU TO HAVE LOTS OF FUN AND NOT BE DISCOURAGED FROM MAKING GAMES, OKAY?

I need it because I LOVED this demo, and groaned when it was over because I wanted more IMMEDIATELY.

It's fun, it's intriguing, and you can do all sort of things, and I want to do sidequests, and it's about a lot of things I find really interesting, so please, you have to keep working on this, and I hope it makes you very happy!

What you have so far ROCKS! Please keep working on it.

Also, thank you SO much for making the "old pc/laptop" version available to poor broke people like me. I (and surely many others) really appreciate it!
Seeing this made my day in class. Thanks so much for that, don't worry I'll continue this I swear it, just be patient cuz I have college until May so..yeah :v. Oh and just one question, did you played until Mary (red hair girl) was about to get shot? I'm just asking to make sure the game worked fine on older laptops

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#18 Post by ludeshka »

Yes, it worked! The game gave me the choice to shield her from the gun Or to get all freaky.
Good luck with class! Remember us cheering for you when it gets tough. :)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#19 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Dammit I promised to try this earlier but I keep forgetting....will try this soon :D And just curious, how did you learn all that coding by yourself??? -___- I'm very impressed (suck forever on coding)
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Xerofit51
Veteran

#20 Post by Xerofit51 »

tiya_nofurita wrote:how did you learn all that coding by yourself???
...through determination(?) :v

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon

#21 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Pffft. Determination is not enough. You must be a genius :mrgreen:

Anyway, after some time, finally I managed to try this. I think some of the problem already addressed before by some people so I won't repeat it again.
Story : .....well, interesting so far. But watch out for some typos. I won't critique the grammar because I'm not competent enough on that aspect either. I'm just confused because sometime you switch the perspective from 1st person into 3rd person. perhaps trying to be more consistent?
Sprites : Okay I guess. Not really my favorite style, but still, they served their purpose well.
GUI : Need more modification/improvisation. I'm sure because it's only a demo you'll change it on your future release. The main menu screen is already good and it fits the atmosphere.
CG : Nothing really disturbing so far.
Music : Nothing really catch my ear but it fits the atmosphere so far.
BG : As some people addressed it before this one is really disturbing me. First, they are not on the same quality, second, it's obvious that you took some from screenshot anime which is prohibited. But I also aware that you're going to change it on your future release and I already saw your new BG which is good :D

Okay, now for the problem I found so far....
1) Whenever the option appears, the text box and quick menu is still appear too. I don't really think this is a problem as some VNs also shows the same thing. What disturbing me is : no matter what is your intention, when you click whatever quick menu on this time, be it save/load/pref, you'd ended up pick the latest option beside the quick menu too (I mean, user probably want to save this scene so he'd choose "Save" but rather ended up choosing the latest option). So be careful. My suggestion is : a)whether you remove the text box and quick menu entirely when a choice menu appear or b) place the choice menu far from the text box and quick menu-i.e : on the center of the screen
Untitled.png
2) Sometimes the quick menu disappear from the text box. Is it intentional? I don't think so...And I'm curious about the messages that keep on blinking on the edge of the textbox "1 New Messages". Is it clickable, can be read by user or just some decoration/notification thingy?
Untitled2.png
3) Be careful with overlapping text and your message/ notification. Perhaps make the textbox size bigger or reduce the sentences per each dialogue or separate it?
Untitled4.png
4) Unfortunately, when I reach this stage, my computer always crashed. First the game is not responding and then the game closed itself. I don't know if this is only my computer's problem (I admit that my graphic memory is so low, you see THAT RAM above? It's over 80%....implied that this task is very "hard" for my computer to run. p.s : i don't even run a single program when I played this game! so it's very unfortunate T__T). Perhaps this task is really memory-wise so I couldn't really help you with anything, but you might consider to "mitigate" it if someone want to play this game even in a low spec/old computer.
Attachments
Untitled5.png
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Xerofit51
Veteran

#22 Post by Xerofit51 »

tiya_nofurita wrote:
1) Whenever the option appears, the text box and quick menu is still appear too. I don't really think this is a problem as some VNs also shows the same thing. What disturbing me is : no matter what is your intention, when you click whatever quick menu on this time, be it save/load/pref, you'd ended up pick the latest option beside the quick menu too (I mean, user probably want to save this scene so he'd choose "Save" but rather ended up choosing the latest option). So be careful. My suggestion is : a)whether you remove the text box and quick menu entirely when a choice menu appear or b) place the choice menu far from the text box and quick menu-i.e : on the center of the screen
Untitled.png
2) Sometimes the quick menu disappear from the text box. Is it intentional? I don't think so...And I'm curious about the messages that keep on blinking on the edge of the textbox "1 New Messages". Is it clickable, can be read by user or just some decoration/notification thingy?
Untitled2.png
3) Be careful with overlapping text and your message/ notification. Perhaps make the textbox size bigger or reduce the sentences per each dialogue or separate it?
Untitled4.png
4) Unfortunately, when I reach this stage, my computer always crashed. First the game is not responding and then the game closed itself. I don't know if this is only my computer's problem (I admit that my graphic memory is so low, you see THAT RAM above? It's over 80%....implied that this task is very "hard" for my computer to run. p.s : i don't even run a single program when I played this game! so it's very unfortunate T__T). Perhaps this task is really memory-wise so I couldn't really help you with anything, but you might consider to "mitigate" it if someone want to play this game even in a low spec/old computer.
Okay thanks for trying my game :
1. yeah..I hate it being at the center though..hmm will think about that
2. it's intentional :v....and the new message is just a suggestive thing to make the dialogue like a message
3. Will do
4. I updated the game, providing one for older laptops, tested and should work if you're still willing to try it (just check my link on the first page if interested)

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Xerofit51 wrote:
tiya_nofurita wrote:
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled4.png
Okay thanks for trying my game :
1. yeah..I hate it being at the center though..hmm will think about that
2. it's intentional :v....and the new message is just a suggestive thing to make the dialogue like a message
3. Will do
4. I updated the game, providing one for older laptops, tested and should work if you're still willing to try it (just check my link on the first page if interested)
Eheheh, really? So short feedback you gave me :p That's okay though.
So how about your progress until now?
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#24 Post by Godline »

Tried this out last night right before bed - and then had weird dreams. ;) Haha.
I hope the Jackal is romancable.
Anyway, it's a pretty cool idea and it was fun to play. As a writer, I see you need to smooth out quite a bit with the script here and there. Not just with grammar and typos. But some bits just don't flow as well as they could. But I'd be happy to take a look at it for you sometime if you wanted and offer fixes.

Xerofit51
Veteran

Re: Freak-Quency(Updated, full version)

#25 Post by Xerofit51 »

Last edited by Xerofit51 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Xerofit51 wrote:Finished Version
file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvebuuud08a98 ... l.zip?dl=0
AUGH WHY THE WIFI IS SO SLOW AT A TIME LIKE THIS
Will download it later for sure :wink:
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Xerofit51
Veteran

#27 Post by Xerofit51 »

Tested by 15 different computers no crash, posted in completed games now

zmajoljupka

#28 Post by zmajoljupka »

Hi!
Congratulations on the finished game! I had a great time! Not to sound like an add but I played the entire day :D
The game inspired me to write a longish review, so I will bother your forum with it, maybe it can be useful. :) I rarely write these things so I will simply be honest to the max :D

The CG art was amazing! The spirits were drawn beautifully, ofc like everybody, I liked some more than the others :D
I liked the integration of a sf theme into an everyday surroundings, which some may claim to be clice in a bad way, but most of the things we love or seek out are so you shouldn't be worried if similar things exist, they do for almost everything, it is still unique.
A game overlapping into our world someway is a near future very true and interesting concept, which I think you enriched great with freak's home world. Portals and abilities that were just allowed to be magic even though you could have gone into various detailed ways of how to scientifically make it plausible, but by removing the appearance of government you saved it from a complicating reality we often want to escape in games :D
A parallel spin off in a government agency and private contractors attempting to solve the murders would be a cool short extra game even.
Music was at times annoying (sorry, want to be honest!), sometimes really good, but fit overall.

The following part has to be under spoiler, so highlight :)

I have some problems though:
order is as they come to mind :) :

1. I solved the cat in tree several times but it just reappeared. My stats are maxed but the cat is now evil and cannot be attempted to be reached.

2. I overheard the rumor about the man who follows cheaters or checks for them. The man in Fuyujima Main always only wishes me all the best. Am I missing something?

3. Where is Lila? Am I blind?

4. Is Malkav Luke's gf? Did I get the order wrong or missed something for maybe making them meet?

5. Ghost girl? Anything to be done with her?

5. Should Kai and Miru be together? He had more comments about her in a flattering outright way than to the PC even when they had a pretty good relationship.

Following items are general thoughts that popped to me as I played, almost everything was good so I'm just listing the things that irked me:

1. Jackal took me away with the bed scene but the rest of the time the overstating of his childish nature was too much if you decided to make him romancable. Some of his reactions were more like a 4 or 5 year old or younger and just too much. For instance I liked the storming off but kicking and falling asleep were just...overboard. Maybe have him be angry and honest but determined to be better, have a almost angry announcement of that fact. Make him grow. Something like that. Also I think he could be amazing and I want more :)

2. Zed breakdancing...idk why but it felt randomly out of character, especially after we find out it's Ish!!! I wish he was younger or she older as with her being 16 I felt weird with both him and Rick...it just felt weird -.-

3. I wish there was more dialogue with everyone! Very often there felt like every meeting was copy paste. Also it would be great to meet the characters more. Especially Ish, Jackal, Rick, Nana (at least some info sharing on bro!!). It would also be cool if there were more quests; it was cool in school but the streets and places should maybe have had more, interchanging, appearing and disappearing characters.

4. Skill games like this are hard for me to replay because of the repetitive skill building, so that's just my problem. All games of this type have the same problem for me. It would be cool if they built through the game with minimum time having to be spent on a click routine with the same lines over and over.

5. Mira was really shot down. She played frequency for a very short time, without knowing any of this stuff and used her powers a lot only once and lost her voice? Game End for her? She's a singer for flower's sakes, have some mercy! ;) :)

6. More explanation about the pair who also want the blue pendant and the corner girl! Or Dungeon Master as she seemed to me ;)

7. typos and grammar, but you know that
8.my hottness list, for the hell of it :D: Kai was OP hot, even as a freak really cool! Jackal also, but as I sad before too much babyness and his freak has great sexyness potential but seemed less smoothly drawn (? idk how to explain it better sorry). Zed before I found out he was Ish, idk I couldn't feel the sameness, my problem but the apartment scene brilliance :D. Luke is sexy face and sad story singer dude unbelieveaby not my type but handosme :D, unfrtunately Rick doesn't cut it for me with the rest of them at a point in the game I was like ahhh I feel sorry for you we all want the freaks :D (???idk why)

Ok I wrote A LOT, I thinks that's all the important stuff :D Sorry if it's a long read. It sounded faster in my head o.o :D
What you did is amazing, I wish you could have had a team of people so you could have done a more in depth job as I think it would then be fantastic and polished to the end as it should be :D

Thank you for this great game, a wonderful and curious time I had playing it!
zmaj

zmajoljupka

#29 Post by zmajoljupka »

Hello again!
Maybe a walkthrough in rough lines as I've gotten true ending twice now...idk what I did wrong or missed...?

Thanks!

Xerofit51
Veteran

#30 Post by Xerofit51 »

zmajoljupka wrote:Hello again!
Maybe a walkthrough in rough lines as I've gotten true ending twice now...idk what I did wrong or missed...?

Thanks!
There is a walkthrough http://www.mediafire.com/view/m1g3yh95drfpcz1/Hints.txt :)