Y;N [Mystery & Psychological Horror, inkl Point&Click]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

Re: Y;N [Mystery & Psychological Horror, inkl Point&Click]

#31 Post by Rossfellow »

Progressing through the last chapters...

Edit: FINISHED IT

You are so going to the Void. Your sin is reducing me to a miserable bumbling crybaby. I WANT TO CRY BUT THERE ARE NO MORE TEARS.

First of all, I know theyre placeholders, but the choice of BGM for the more emotional and nostalgic events are great. I'll miss them even if you get the official OST.

My personal issues are:

Maps and exploration
The tooltip/cursor allows you to move around by clicking the edges of the screen, but due to the illusion created by the BG I sometimes click where there isn't space to relocate or completely miss an area. My recommendation is to make the edges where the user can change maps something visible (even if it's something subtle like a conspicuous glowing dot), so the user can tell where he can move without sweeping the BG for corners.

Inventory
The icons in the inventory are all unnamed thumbnails. This isn't a problem with People, Pictures or Items as they are all different and distinct, but when it comes to Notes this can get a little frustrating. There's gotta be a way to tell them apart that doesn't require screening each one for the Examine button, but that's a minor gripe.

Log system
Because it's made with Renpy, it carries the inherent feature of scrolling back the scene by scrolling up, sometimes by accident. For the purpose of giving your choices gravity and maintaining the grim atmosphere of the story, I recommend disabling the scroll-up rollback function.

Overall, this is amazing work. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it, it really shows.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Mirrowdothack
Regular
Completed: The Iron Heart Witch
Projects: Y;N, Crime•Scene

#32 Post by Mirrowdothack »

Rossfellow wrote:Progressing through the last chapters...

Edit: FINISHED IT

You are so going to the Void. Your sin is reducing me to a miserable bumbling crybaby. I WANT TO CRY BUT THERE ARE NO MORE TEARS.
Congratulations ^^V
To be honest, there is a part of me who is absolutely happy about that the story makes you cry *__* (but I'm also very sorry, *gomen gome gome T^T). I'm so happy that the story touches you ♥ (and btw. I'm pretty shure that I will end up in the Void for sure XD)
Rossfellow wrote: First of all, I know theyre placeholders, but the choice of BGM for the more emotional and nostalgic events are great. I'll miss them even if you get the official OST.

My personal issues are:

Maps and exploration
The tooltip/cursor allows you to move around by clicking the edges of the screen, but due to the illusion created by the BG I sometimes click where there isn't space to relocate or completely miss an area. My recommendation is to make the edges where the user can change maps something visible (even if it's something subtle like a conspicuous glowing dot), so the user can tell where he can move without sweeping the BG for corners.

Inventory
The icons in the inventory are all unnamed thumbnails. This isn't a problem with People, Pictures or Items as they are all different and distinct, but when it comes to Notes this can get a little frustrating. There's gotta be a way to tell them apart that doesn't require screening each one for the Examine button, but that's a minor gripe.

Log system
Because it's made with Renpy, it carries the inherent feature of scrolling back the scene by scrolling up, sometimes by accident. For the purpose of giving your choices gravity and maintaining the grim atmosphere of the story, I recommend disabling the scroll-up rollback function.

Overall, this is amazing work. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it, it really shows.
Regarding the map: I was thinking about something like this, but when I played another point&click-adventure (which uses a dot the show the user, where he can click) I did not like the "feeling" if it. It was to easy to find think and there was no real exploration. But this is just a personal issue^^ But it was my reason not to include this kind of help. I could implement hover-effects, but I think I would do this in the next game, cause it would be a lot of work^^

Regarding the inventory: I've already tried to implement tooltips here, but it was not working with an overlay layer. Maybe I will put in some "text-tooltipps" in the hover-image. I guess that would help?

The scrollback-idea sound pretty good to me. I did not know that it was possible to do this, so thx for this piece of information^^

Regarding the music: I was think about an option-element which will alow the play to switch between the old and new ost.^^

Thank you so much for your feedback, I'll try to implement things in the next update.
I'm happy you enjoyed the game (and I'm sorry [and happy] for tunring into a miserable bumbling crybaby)
My games:
Image Image

#33 Post by Loading »

Since I noticed a lot of people are giving reviews, I figured I might as well give one myself.

Initially, I had problems running the game. I contacted you about this, and we figured out how to run it. Due to a missing file, "python27.dll", the game wouldn't start. This was solved by transferring the whole game's file to Ren'Py's project directory. (This is for anyone who is having the same problem.)

When I finally got to playing, I noticed the game had quite nice soundtracks that were nicely timed as well. They added a good atmosphere to the gameplay, making it a little eerie at times. I really liked the feature where you could go back and re-try a part you failed when you happened to get caught by the creatures roaming around or by running out of tries at the trials. In many games, you would have to continue from your last save (which could have been hours ago), or even from the beginning if you are the type of person who forgets to save (this would be me, most of the time), which can be quite frustrating. The alternation of VN and Point&Click was very nice too, and made the game more interesting.

I did notice a couple grammar mistakes, but I should have PMed you about those already.

One thing I noticed as well was that the setup of the first and second trial reminded me of an anime I had seen, Umineko no Naku Koro ni. In this anime, there is a witch called Beatrice who is trying to convince one of the characters of something, and he fights back. They have something similar to trials, as Beatrice will state a "fact" and he had to prove her wrong. At some point of the anime, Beatrice makes rules which ultimately make things harder for her, similarly to how Charon makes rules like that. This resemblance only lasted a while, and it was only in the first two trials that I noticed this. The resemblance isn't all too big either, so I don't see it being a problem of any kind.

Overall, I have to say I really liked the game.

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#34 Post by Mirrowdothack »

First sorry, for not replying so long. I'm currently moving into another city for my new job^^
So, I might not be able to reply for a while, since I need to find a place to live there and of course... an internet connection^^

@Loading: Thank you so much for your comment and feedback. I'm happy we managed to find a way so that you can play "Y;N" and I am glad you enjoy the game.
Loading wrote: One thing I noticed as well was that the setup of the first and second trial reminded me of an anime I had seen, Umineko no Naku Koro ni. In this anime, there is a witch called Beatrice who is trying to convince one of the characters of something, and he fights back. They have something similar to trials, as Beatrice will state a "fact" and he had to prove her wrong. At some point of the anime, Beatrice makes rules which ultimately make things harder for her, similarly to how Charon makes rules like that. This resemblance only lasted a while, and it was only in the first two trials that I noticed this. The resemblance isn't all too big either, so I don't see it being a problem of any kind.
Umnineko itself took the idea from another VN/Point & Click named Phoenix Wright (if you don't know it you may want to give it a try^^), where you can play a lawyer and where you will have to find proof in order to defend your clients^^.
So, yes both of there were a great inspiration for this game.
And the gameplay simply fit the story very well^^

Again thank you so much for your feedback and your help^^
My games:
Image Image

Muzozavr
Regular

#35 Post by Muzozavr »

Chess, Fog, Freedom, Reunion. I need more green letters to find the other two endings. I will refrain from talking about the ends (mostly) and asking "who is that monster thing that keeps adding timed challenges to the game" until I get the full story. Although I do have to say the Fog end was damn creepy. Freedom... less so, maybe because I got Fog first.

One thing that others did not seem to mention is your unique sense of visual direction. It takes a really good artist to draw as well as you do, it takes an actual vision to draw what you do and to use it this well. To fill the Void with... roadsigns? Or to go for that striking red/green combo in the SOS phone environment. Or THAT STATIC. Seriously, I don't get nightmares, but if I did, the Fog end would become a new entry into my non-existent collection. Or how about that "dark thoughts" scene? Many would emphasize "visual novel" and just describe it all in text, but you went for "visual novel" and created a simple, yet very dark and unnerving image.

So, as a player: this was absolutely AWESOME. The "puzzle-horror" aspect reminded me of "The Madness", only YOUR puzzles are actually possible to solve. :lol: :mrgreen:

The story, the characters, the plot twists, the bizarre environments and events, the music choices, everything. The weirdness. The perfectly placed and conceived freakouts and surprises. It was everything I wanted it to be and more. It made me feel, it made me fear, it made me figure things out, it made me think "WAIT WHAAAAAT!?!?!?!?" more times than I can count. In short, I had a blast. The tiny, insignificant flaws that this game has are so minor (except for one) that as a player, I honestly wouldn't even bother bringing them up as a topic for discussion. It's that good.

(The only flaw I'd bring up as a player: Keith's dialogue in the crucial moment only allows me to make the promise once and that's IT?! Both "Thank you" and "Be careful" are natural choices at this point. I didn't expect the game to lock me out of the "promise" option. This is the only reason I got the "Chess" ending first instead of "Reunion". Annoying. Please allow the player to make a promise by clicking on Keith a second time and then giving the player a choice between "..." and the promise. I think that should work.)

Saying that, because this is still in beta :roll: I feel I should act like a tester and mention a few other things that could receive that extra level of polish. This will read like a long list, but most of these are either minor or are suggestions for usability tweaks.

- This has been probably suggested, but you might want to disable rollback. Save/Load is more than enough and your "Continue" feature (very nice, by the way) should make rollback unneeded. Disabling it could then enhance the apparent gravity of the player's choices. I don't know why rollback is more damaging to the atmosphere than Save/Load or "Continue", I just know that it is.
- As mentioned before, the proofreading was good, but not great. I'm pretty sure I've spotted at least one "potograph" and there are other typos and misspellings here and there. Not many, but enough to be noticeable.
- Default "sound volume" setting is very loud. Is it possible to keep the sounds as they are, but make the volume slider start on a sliiiightly lower setting? Then the player could make it louder again if they feel the need. (If you really do intend to make every instance of the "glass shatter" sound into a jump scare, keep the volume as it is, but know that adjusting the sound is literally the first thing most players will do.)
- Make that small wire piece slightly easier to spot. It's not that difficult, but it's the only "pixel hunting" moment in a game that's otherwise free of it. I see on the forum that at least one player got stuck there, so this is worth noting.
- Timed encounters. Most of them are fine, but add a second (maybe 1.5 seconds) to the very first encounter, PLEASE. As it is, it's simply not winnable unless you know in advance what you're doing. If you don't know in advance, then you don't even have enough time to figure out what the game wants you to do, let alone actually do it. The school encounter could also benefit from an extra 0.5 seconds to let the player assess their options, but this is less needed. The others seem fine.
- The "phone" surprise is awesome, but if you don't find it immediately, the ringing becomes annoying as you examine the rest of the room. If you slightly lower the volume when the player is "standing" further away from its location, I think the player will immediately understand where it is with a sense of "didn't I just check that place out"?
- Sadly, nothing especially freaky happens if I fail the last trial, that face just stays as it is and Charon's dialogue (for each failed attempt) is the same as always. Awwww. Granted, that face is freaky enough on its own, but I seriously expected something really scary to happen if I failed the last trial, and then I did fail and super-scariness did not ensue... awww.
- Looking at your guide, I still don't understand why you went for 16 green letters instead of 17 (to unlock the other endings) but this doesn't hinder the player, so it's alright. :)

Again, had this been released as "full" I wouldn't even bother bringing these up except for the "promise" thing and, maybe, the typos. I'm just taking advantage of the "beta" status to ramble on and on about somewhat pointless things. :lol:

EDIT: Finally got "Hospital" and "Promise". Now I understand why you put 16 letters, I missed one. The very first one, too. :lol: Shame on me...

Anyway, there needs to be more, because the true ending, while incredibly heartwarming and satisfying, is probably more confusing than most. The emotions are there, the explanations aren't. How and why did she become who she is now, what happened... and the evil monster thing that keeps giving us timed encounters (and the spider thing) appear to be separate from all other entities, so I still don't understand where they came from. Or should I actually go find all 17 green letters (not missing one) and then read them? Actually, yes, that might help me understand things...

michan
Regular
Projects: The Witch's Tomb (wip), Caraltian Cookoff (wip), Detective Cross (wip)

#36 Post by michan »

Finally got around to downloading ang playing this game, and OMG it was GREAT. The scenes and the story flow were very well done. The puzzles were challenging enough to feel fulfilled once you've solved them, but not frustrating at all. The trials reminded me a bit about the trials and evidence presentation in Ace Attorney (was that intentional? ^-^), with some Umineko 'red words' thrown in, and were a nice touch. And the ghoulish creatures were scary as heck.

If I've got anything to complain about re the game, however, it would mainly be some awkward English here and there, but it's barely noticeable, really. Also, the timed sequences were frustrating for me at first
(especially when trying to exit the room will all the monitors in Part 1)
, but then that was mainly because I wasn't used to the game mechanics at that time. I'd also suggest highlighting the objects one can interact with on top of just changing the mouseover?

Overall, however, this game was a rare treat (and it's FREE!). You say it's a beta but it feels complete as is... although now I'm wanting to see Keith's side of the story. Would also love to see an extras section (say, a CG gallery and/or music room)!

P.S. Justine is <3.
Coming SoonSometime Next Year! ^^
Detective Cross & the Raven Hall Riddles (DEMO OUT!)
Image Image

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#37 Post by Mirrowdothack »

Dear Muzozavr, Dear michan

First: I'm sorry it took me so long to answer you. I just got my internet connection back ^^V *finally^^
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm speechless that you (and of course the other people here) enjoyed my little game that much. I wasn't exspecting this and I'm touch in a way I canno describe T^T,
I'm happy that you had a good time plaing it and that it was fun and creepy at the same tim.

@ Muzozavr
About your advises *thank you so much for them^^
- Keith' dialogue: I will try to put it in.
- Rollback: The reason I wasn't sure if I should put it out is, that the reader might want to read somethign again. In 999 I skipped back several time because I felt like I had missed something in a dialogue. I guess in "Crime • Scene" I will try to handle both and add this/or better disable rollback when you have make a choice
- about the missspellings: I'll try ma very best for the next games. I'm not a native speaker so I'll need beta readers. Y;N needed to be finished for my master's thesis so there might still be some mistkes in it. I hope there aren't too many. If you still remember spelling mistakes of things like this. let me know ^^
- about the sound: This is hard to figure out since pc users tend to have different sound volume levels of their pc.
- about the wire: I will make the piece bigger in the next update^^
- About the time counter: I am aware that mostlikely everyone won't be able to suvive the first on in the first encounter. But I want them to die there the first time to show them that they should be careful and that the Void is a dangerous place^^. I'll think about adding some seconds for the school encounter, but I also want to put pressure on the player.
- about the phone surprise: I will add this. It's a very good idea^^
- about the last trial: I am currently thinkg about a nice surprice if you do something wrong in the last trial^^. Thanks for the idea.
-
Muzozavr wrote: EDIT: Finally got "Hospital" and "Promise". Now I understand why you put 16 letters, I missed one. The very first one, too. :lol: Shame on me...

Anyway, there needs to be more, because the true ending, while incredibly heartwarming and satisfying, is probably more confusing than most. The emotions are there, the explanations aren't. How and why did she become who she is now, what happened... and the evil monster thing that keeps giving us timed encounters (and the spider thing) appear to be separate from all other entities, so I still don't understand where they came from. Or should I actually go find all 17 green letters (not missing one) and then read them? Actually, yes, that might help me understand things...
I personally think the the lettter on the playground is the hardest to find. And you can easily miss the second on the subway. But a friend of mine also missed th first one.

You will get more answers about the story in the next part, I'm currently working on. But since I have to work I'll only be able to make progress at the weekend. So it will take its time *shame on me
Anyway, I am absolutely happy that you enjoyed Y;N that much. I will try to put in your advices in the next update. So thank you so much again. ♥

----------------------------------

@ michan,
I am happy you like my game, too. Yes, both, Ace Attourney and Umineke, but other games and stories too, influences Y;N. I just love them so much.^^ And I'm glad yoz like/fear my creatures. It was actually the first time I tried to draw something scary and it was really hard for me to do this, but it was also a lot of fun^^
michan wrote: If I've got anything to complain about re the game, however, it would mainly be some awkward English here and there, but it's barely noticeable, really. Also, the timed sequences were frustrating for me at first
(especially when trying to exit the room will all the monitors in Part 1)
, but then that was mainly because I wasn't used to the game mechanics at that time. I'd also suggest highlighting the objects one can interact with on top of just changing the mouseover?
I'm sorry for my English. I tried my very best. If you could tell me some examples or name some mistakes (in-game or in general) I wil try to erase them^^
About the mouseover: the mouse did chance when you can exame an object. Or at least it should do this. If it's not working for you, please tell me. (for example check out the wire in the tv-room)
michan wrote: Overall, however, this game was a rare treat (and it's FREE!). You say it's a beta but it feels complete as is... although now I'm wanting to see Keith's side of the story. Would also love to see an extras section (say, a CG gallery and/or music room)!

P.S. Justine is <3.
Y;N itself is completed. I am currently waiting for it's OST to be done.
But don't worry. You will get more background information int the next part, I am currently working on^^
My games:
Image Image

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#38 Post by plaster »

I'm updating my indie horror game blog so I ended up replaying this.
I think I like it even better the second (third? fourth?) time! Totally want to do a cosplay of one of the characters.
I'm really intrigued by
Kami's
role in the game. I hope we get some more clarity on that or I am probably going to have to play it again and do some crazy in-depth analysis.

pls don't make me do crazy in-depth analysis :<

OH!
Also I'm interested in your upcoming game Crime Scene and of course any updates Y;n might get (is it still in beta?)! If you need a composer or proofreader let me know! I am good at saying English words. ;D

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#39 Post by Mirrowdothack »

plaster wrote:I'm updating my indie horror game blog so I ended up replaying this.
I think I like it even better the second (third? fourth?) time! Totally want to do a cosplay of one of the characters.
OMG, pleaseeeee let me see it, when cour done *______*
Do you have already someone in mind you'd like to cosplay one day?
*I'd just curious^^

btw: I'd also love to see your blog^^
plaster wrote: I'm really intrigued by
Kami's
role in the game. I hope we get some more clarity on that or I am probably going to have to play it again and do some crazy in-depth analysis.

pls don't make me do crazy in-depth analysis :<
Yes, you will get more information about him, but I have to admit: I would totally love to hear your thoughts, although I don't wanna torture you^^
plaster wrote: OH!
Also I'm interested in your upcoming game Crime Scene and of course any updates Y;n might get (is it still in beta?)! If you need a composer or proofreader let me know! I am good at saying English words. ;D
Yes, Y;N ist still in beta. I'm still waiting for my composer. But haven't heared for her for a while.I hope she's ok.
And yes I totally need proofreaders and when I'll do the first coding for C•S I'll need some nice music, too. So, I'm happy for any help. Thank you so much for the offer^^
My games:
Image Image

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#40 Post by plaster »

Yin's other self has a crazy awesome design. That costume would be so much fun. I'd need a lot of body paint though, so we'll see. ;D Also, if you got one short white wig, it would work for Yin, other!Yin, and Charon. Oh my goodness. So many ideas.

(my blog's still in maintenance while I clean everything up!! nyoron!! <:3c It should be done by the end of the month though, at the latest.)

I accidentally a most of today taking notes for analysis. I feel like a loser now. Side note, this is the first time I got
Yin's eye ripped out.
I didn't even know that was a thing that could happen (yknow, after playing the game like 6 times now) and it's awesome!!

And yeah, horror/ambient loops would be totally easy to make, so let me know!

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#41 Post by Rossfellow »

Been saving this for a few months now. Merry Christmas!

ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#42 Post by Milkymalk »

Rossfellow wrote:<music>
This reminds me so much of Tori Amos :D
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#43 Post by Mirrowdothack »

Rossfellow wrote:Been saving this for a few months now. Merry Christmas!
@music
I'm in love with this piece of music. It's beautiful ♥
Thank you so much *___________*
I still can't believe that you did this wonderful piece of music for me

Thank you so very much <= tears of joy

AND: I'm so in love with this picutre, gotta thank the artsit for this wonderful piece of art ♥
My games:
Image Image

Seiza
Regular
Projects: The Cruel Fate of War
Tumblr: Cj2ymail

#44 Post by Seiza »

Hello there!
I just finished playing the game, and i have to say, it's hella awesome!
The style was unique, the suspense was good, and the point & click system kinda reminded me of the Mystery Case Files Series.
The plot twists were good, though i have to say the endings were kind of cut-off in the middle (but since it's just a beta test i understand)
I'd like to ask How much progress have you made so far in releasing the full version and when do you plan it to be released? I'm dying for a sequel (and i need answers to my theories in the game) @_@
oh and another thing though (you don't have to answer if you don't want to): I noticed that in the credits that you composed the theme song yourself. What software did you use? (I'm really curious).

Mirrowdothack
Regular

#45 Post by Mirrowdothack »

Seiza wrote:Hello there!
I just finished playing the game, and i have to say, it's hella awesome!
The style was unique, the suspense was good, and the point & click system kinda reminded me of the Mystery Case Files Series.
The plot twists were good, though i have to say the endings were kind of cut-off in the middle (but since it's just a beta test i understand)
I'd like to ask How much progress have you made so far in releasing the full version and when do you plan it to be released? I'm dying for a sequel (and i need answers to my theories in the game) @_@
oh and another thing though (you don't have to answer if you don't want to): I noticed that in the credits that you composed the theme song yourself. What software did you use? (I'm really curious).

Hi there^^,
I am currently wating for the OST. Once it's there the game will be eleases. I've added some small things here and there which will be included in the next update. The sequel is in progress, but will take its time, since I've a job right now. But I try to work on it, when ever I can.

I own a midi keyboard and I used some free virtuell instrument plugins. Programms are: Piano Rool, Logic Pro and Reaper.^^ I hope this will help you^^
My games:
Image Image