Stillwater Creek[School Life][Drama][Romance][BxG][COMPLETE]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
HalYac17
Regular

Stillwater Creek[School Life][Drama][Romance][BxG][COMPLETE]

#1 Post by HalYac17 »

Original Post in WIP can be found here - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=20244

So basically, a year ago, I decided to take up writing VNs for a bit of fun, and after being inspired by Christine Love's "don't take it personally babe" I wrote "Stillwater Creek". Unfortunately though, when it came to the end of the project, my old tester went AWOL and I was unable to update RenPy (this was around the version 6.15 when the updater went a bit funny), and so I released the untested version to followers of the thread above as version 1.0.

Skip ahead a year, and I've decided to get back into VN writing after finally updating RenPy successfully, and what better warm up for me before starting a new project than to finally properly finish Stillwater and give it an official release. So despite never thinking I'd ever say this, I have fixed several bugs and typos in version 1.0, and I give you guys "Stillwater Creek v1.1"! :D All the story details can be found in the WIP thread (link above). Here are the new lint stats:

"The game contains 4,708 dialogue blocks, containing 41,621 words and 214,668
characters, for an average of 8.8 words and 46 characters per block.
The game contains 33 menus, 103 images, and 12 screens."

The game also had 4 routes and 7 endings in total, and has a PG13 rating.

Basically, what I want to find out from any of you guys who are willing to take this game out for a ride:
- Did you enjoy the story? If so, what did you enjoy about it? If not, what can be improved? (I'm particuarly interested in the endings here, as I was told they felt somewhat rushed, so I am looking to flesh them out a bit for official release. Let me know if you think this is a good idea, and any ideas on extra scenes you'd like to see in the game would be greatly appreciated!)
- I attempted to tackle a lot of contraverstial subjects in this game (including *SPOILERS*
bullying, homosexuality, homophobia, mental illness, suicide and teacher-student relationships
*/SPOILERS*). How well have I done this? Is there anything I can do to improve my approach? (As, obviously, I don't want to offend anyone with this game).
- Do you like the characters? Any character you particuarly like/dislike?
- How long does it take you to complete the game? Do you feel like you enjoy the game enough to pursue all 7 endings? If not, how could I improve the game to entice people into pursuing all of the endings?
- And of course, any other information you believe is relevant, including letting me know of any bugs and typos!

Unfortunately, as a freelancer who does all this for fun, I am unable to pay any of you for testing this game, but anyone who gives any advice (no matter how big or small) will recieve a special thanks credit. Also, anyone who contributes to the game in any way will also recieve the appropriate credit (e.g. if you have an idea of a extra scene I could put in the game, and I put it in, you'll get a writing credit!). :D

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully you'll enjoy Stillwater Creek! :D

All Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/download/w7uoh ... .1-all.zip
Windows Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/download/5txre ... .1-win.zip
Mac Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/download/677v4 ... .1-mac.zip
Linux Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/download/4y2i7 ... ux.tar.bz2

Walkthorugh below for those who need/want it! :P
There are 4 possible Chapter 7's to get, Louisa's, Alison's, Jennifer's and Hannah's. Which one you will get depends on your choices in Chapters 1-6.These choices give and take away "points" from each ending. Here's how the points need to shape up at the end of Chapter 6 to get each different Chapter 7:

Louisa's = Louisa has to have the most points by Chapter 6.

Alison's = Alison has to have the most points by the end of Chapter 6.

Jennifer's = Jennifer has to have the most points by the end of Chapter 6 AND you must not slam the door in Jennifer's face.

Hannah's = Jennifer has to have the most points by the end of Chapter 6 AND you must slam the door in Jennifer's face.

And here are the major choices which let you give/take away "points" from each ending:

Choice 1

"Sit with the girls" = Louisa gets 1 point
"Sit with Alison" = Alison gets 1 point
"Head back to class" = Jennifer gets 1 point

Choice 2
"Say you'll cover" = Alison gets 1 point
"Lie about being busy" = No effect

Choice 3
"Ask Louisa" = Louisa gets 1 point
"Ask Jessica" = No effect

Choice 4
"Took you enough time to figure" = Louisa loses 1 point
"Who is?" = Louisa gets 1 point
"No, I'm not" = No effect

Choice 5
"Dont get involved" = No effect
"Back up the kids" = Alison loses 1 point
"Back up Alison" = Alison gets 1 point

Choice 6
"I like cats" = Alison gets 1 point
"I like dogs" = Louisa gets 1 point
"I like birds" = Jennifer gets 1 point

Choice 7
"Sure" = Jennifer gets 1 point
"Sorry, I'm busy" = No effect
"Slam door in her face" = Jennifer loses 1 point (NOTE THIS CHOICE MAKES JENNIFER ENDING IMPOSSIBLE TO GET)

Choice 8
"Agree with Jennifer" = Jennifer gets 1 point
"Agree with Alison" = Alison gets 1 point

Choice 9
"Agree with Jennifer" = Jennifer gets 1 point
"Agree with Louisa" = Louisa gets 1 point

There will be no more than one choice in Chapter 7. If there is a choice, then there'll be two options, one option leading to the "good ending" of the character, the other leading to the "bad ending".

If you require any more help/clarification, don't hestiate to contact me!
UPDATE 09/06/2014

Stillwater Creek has been through testing and has now been released as a completed game! Bugs and typos have been fixed, and an epilouge has been added to each of the seven endings! Check out the completed version here - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26958
Last edited by HalYac17 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

JimG
Regular

Re: Stillwater Creek[School Life][Drama][Romance][BxG][OpenD

#2 Post by JimG »

i've played through twice now. There are some spelling/grammatical errors, at some point I will point some out. One thing that really needs changing is that you have Louisa swimming on her state team, Canada has provinces not states, so she would be on the provincial team.

I do like the game, you've put lots of thought into it.

Best Regards
Jim

HalYac17
Regular

#3 Post by HalYac17 »

To be honest, the state/province mistake was lack of research on my part (I'm from Scotland you see), so I'll be sure to change that! But I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the game, so thanks a lot for taking the time to play it! :D

JimG
Regular

#4 Post by JimG »

I am surprised that you would have people from Edinburgh and Glasgow dating each other :lol: I thought that was like trying to mix oil and water.

Anyways, I will do some proofreading if that helps. I have now attained all of the endings.

Best Regards
Jim

HalYac17
Regular

#5 Post by HalYac17 »

That would be true, although sometimes people from Glasgow and Edinburugh get along (somtimes) :P :lol:

But yes, that would be massively appreciated! If you could either post here or pm me anything you find, that'd be fantastic! Thanks Jim! :D