Cafe Memoria Demo v0.1[BxG][Comedy][Slice of Life][Waitress]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: Cafe Memoria Demo v0.1[BxG][Comedy][Slice of Life][Waitr

#16 Post by sasquatchii »

thebackup wrote:
sasquatchii wrote:4. One thing that bothered me- if you order the sausage, egg, and waffles, Ryne goes on to say "Lots of protein in this meal, although I don't think one should eat this often if you have heart disease." Protein isn't bad for the heart, protein is actually very good for you & necessary in order to survive. So sausage and eggs are actually pretty healthy! The only unhealthy item would be the waffles, as they are high in carbs + sugar.
I should rewrite that then! I was thinking about the cholesterol content in the eggs and sausages.
If you rewrite it, you should pick on the waffles, not the eggs and the sausages. Both are really quite good for you. Eggs are high in saturated fats, which are actually good for your body. The sausage is also fine, it's got proteins which are also good for the body. People have been worrying about fats/cholesterol as unhealthy for years, but we're actually finding out that this is not the case.

If you're not convinced:

Eight Doctors Talk About The Myths of Cholesterol and Saturated Fat
The Obesity Epidemic, the Truth about Cholesterol and Saturated Fat
Complete Guide to Fats & Oils
Ketogenic Diet Reddit Forum (Low Carb, High Fat Intake)
ImageImage

Aratzne
Deviantart: Aratzne

#17 Post by Aratzne »

The game is a lot of fun so far! I think the best way to describe it is "short and sweet." I would have loved to get to know the characters even better, but the game still has a nice appeal at its current length. I'm looking forward to playing the final voiced version.

I didn't run into any bugs, but unfortunately I didn't have the time to run through all the choices...

My biggest piece of (hopefully helpful) advice would be to darken the text. The white text on light blue/transparent background was hard for me to distinguish, and I found myself having to concentrate extra hard on the text to read it. I would much rather be able to look at the beautiful characters! :) Maybe an outline around the white text would make it easier to read at a glance?

TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

#18 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

I'm actually really excited to play this now! :D

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#19 Post by thebackup »

sasquatchii wrote:If you rewrite it, you should pick on the waffles, not the eggs and the sausages. Both are really quite good for you. Eggs are high in saturated fats, which are actually good for your body. The sausage is also fine, it's got proteins which are also good for the body. People have been worrying about fats/cholesterol as unhealthy for years, but we're actually finding out that this is not the case.

If you're not convinced:

Thanks for the helpful info, I guess I should do some fact checking on the other foods as well!
Aratzne wrote:The game is a lot of fun so far! I think the best way to describe it is "short and sweet." I would have loved to get to know the characters even better, but the game still has a nice appeal at its current length. I'm looking forward to playing the final voiced version.
Thank you. :)
Aratzne wrote:My biggest piece of (hopefully helpful) advice would be to darken the text. The white text on light blue/transparent background was hard for me to distinguish, and I found myself having to concentrate extra hard on the text to read it. I would much rather be able to look at the beautiful characters! :) Maybe an outline around the white text would make it easier to read at a glance?
I did add an outline / shadow to the text to make it easier to read. Maybe I should thicken it some more.
TheOnlyKieran wrote:I'm actually really excited to play this now! :D
Hope you enjoy. :)

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#20 Post by SinSisters »

thebackup wrote:
SinSisters wrote:You should have an option to 'wipe' the screen, we can see the background! I know that we can press 1st and 2nd mouse button at the same time, but it's easier if we can just press a button so we don't mess up (heheh, talking from experience) :D
Not sure what you mean, you mean removing the text box so you can see the sprite and BG? Or removing the sprite and text box so you can just see the BG?
Hmm, I was thinking remove the text box so you can see the sprite and BG, because there were some "close ups" of sprites that I wanted to see in greater detail!
thebackup wrote:
Aratzne wrote:My biggest piece of (hopefully helpful) advice would be to darken the text. The white text on light blue/transparent background was hard for me to distinguish, and I found myself having to concentrate extra hard on the text to read it. I would much rather be able to look at the beautiful characters! :) Maybe an outline around the white text would make it easier to read at a glance?
I did add an outline / shadow to the text to make it easier to read. Maybe I should thicken it some more.
I was going to add this to my advice, but forgot :3 It's a very pretty colour scheme and appropriate for a café, but difficult to read at times

-Nat

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#21 Post by ebi-hime »

Aaw, this game is really cute! The sprites are so adorable, I love the designs of their uniforms.
Mikaela is absolute best girl for me so far. I love blonde-haired tsunderes so much, hohoh...

As for some comments...
Like other people said, the transitions are pretty weird. I think doing a feathered screen wipe would look better. And the chara portraits sliding in at the corner bothered me a little, but when I played more of the game I just forgot about it/didn't notice it XD

I like the backgrounds, but they seem very obviously google sketchup to me, and kind of jar with the 2D sprites. I think it might look better if you applied some kind of filter to the backgrounds in photoshop, to make them look more handdrawn, maybe? Or a little 'softer'? There are some nice examples on how to filter stuff to make it look even prettier here:
http://weeaboo.nl/2012/06/editing-photo ... al-novels/
But I liked how detailed the backgrounds were, so maybe filtering would lose some of the detail... Either way, it's your call - this is just a personal preference XD

Also, I loved the Pepci, Mr. Pepper, etc... Those jokes were pretty amusing XD

I just wish you could date the girls ;_; Like, I wanna take Mikaela out to a film or the park or something! Maybe you could get some cute, romantic-ish epilogue after the game, with the girl you rated the most highly? If the game can tally points of how high you rated each chara, then the highest one could have an extra scene when all routes have been cleared? But that might be too much time/effort to do, so I understand if you don't want to.
I just wanna hang out more with Mikaela, ahaha... XD
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer

#22 Post by thebackup »

ebi-hime wrote:Aaw, this game is really cute! The sprites are so adorable, I love the designs of their uniforms.
Mikaela is absolute best girl for me so far. I love blonde-haired tsunderes so much, hohoh...
Thanks! It's just only two girls in the demo, but, glad you love Mikaela. :)
ebi-hime wrote:Like other people said, the transitions are pretty weird. I think doing a feathered screen wipe would look better. And the chara portraits sliding in at the corner bothered me a little, but when I played more of the game I just forgot about it/didn't notice it XD
I'm planning to replace the sliding transitions with circle wipes.
ebi-hime wrote:I like the backgrounds, but they seem very obviously google sketchup to me, and kind of jar with the 2D sprites. I think it might look better if you applied some kind of filter to the backgrounds in photoshop, to make them look more handdrawn, maybe? Or a little 'softer'? There are some nice examples on how to filter stuff to make it look even prettier here:
http://weeaboo.nl/2012/06/editing-photo ... al-novels/
But I liked how detailed the backgrounds were, so maybe filtering would lose some of the detail... Either way, it's your call - this is just a personal preference XD
I've tried rendering the backgrounds on my own, and... they're quite a pain to do. I'm planning to use Uncle Mugen's renders of the restaurant XD (see here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 35#p331333)
ebi-hime wrote:I just wish you could date the girls ;_; Like, I wanna take Mikaela out to a film or the park or something! Maybe you could get some cute, romantic-ish epilogue after the game, with the girl you rated the most highly? If the game can tally points of how high you rated each chara, then the highest one could have an extra scene when all routes have been cleared? But that might be too much time/effort to do, so I understand if you don't want to.
I just wanna hang out more with Mikaela, ahaha... XD
I think I can expand on it some more, since the routes are quite short. It's possible to add such scenes! :D (although if I ever decide to create an expansion pack, I'll have to work on it after the full game is released)

piichimi
Regular
Projects: A+ Switch! (Visual Novel)

#23 Post by piichimi »

I just played through the demo.
I really enjoyed it quite honestly.
I really like how you can choose what to order, and I really like how the girls react to your orders as well. Very neat.
Though, as some others have said, the transitions are startling.
Also, it made me really sad that the routes were so short, but that's just a personal preference, I just prefer longer games in general. Or at least that's what I'm used to. : P
other than that I don't see anything else really that major that needs correction.
As you can tell I'm not that good at critiquing xD
But overall it's really cute, and I can't wait for the release of the full game!

thebackup
Veteran

#24 Post by thebackup »

piichimi wrote:I just played through the demo.
I really enjoyed it quite honestly.
I really like how you can choose what to order, and I really like how the girls react to your orders as well. Very neat.
Though, as some others have said, the transitions are startling.
Also, it made me really sad that the routes were so short, but that's just a personal preference, I just prefer longer games in general. Or at least that's what I'm used to. : P
other than that I don't see anything else really that major that needs correction.
As you can tell I'm not that good at critiquing xD
But overall it's really cute, and I can't wait for the release of the full game!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the demo, even though the routes felt short. :)

mollycubed

#25 Post by mollycubed »

Sooo cute!

Aside from the occasional typo, I didn't find anything wrong with it.

I wish the story lines were a little bit longer, and like ebi-hime said, I wish we could take the girls out on dates. The endings feel sort of incomplete.

I love your sprites! What was your inspiration for them? I'm trying to make my own currently and they all wind up looking the same :|

Best of luck to you and your project!

thebackup
Veteran

#26 Post by thebackup »

mollycubed wrote:I love your sprites! What was your inspiration for them? I'm trying to make my own currently and they all wind up looking the same :|
Well, I didn't make the sprites, give credit to Ezri for them! As far as inspiration goes, that's a little complicated ^^; I loved how the eyes looked from the anime series Love Live!, so there's some influence there. Beyond that, the character designs draw inspiration from many sources, and have a fairly long history (I do have another project that uses the same characters, albeit on hiatus and has a different artist). I'd say look at stuff you like, such as clothing designs, your favorite anime, etc... good luck with your own sprites :)
mollycubed wrote:Best of luck to you and your project!
Thanks!

TheChris
Regular
Projects: Stickshooter
Deviantart: innocencecanceller

#27 Post by TheChris »

My only criticism would be that I found it hard to read the game text and I think the backgrounds were too bright. The game text needs thicker outlines and/or a window behind it. It can be rather hard to read. My problem with the backgrounds, at least in the cafe, are that they are unnaturally bright. I think it's due to the lack of shadows. I can see the lights in the ceiling, but I cant see the shadows that should be under the chairs and what not. Other than that, the backgrounds look good. Everything else seems pretty good to me. I like your music too, though the melody is a bit louder than I would place it. I'm interested to see where you'll take this.

thebackup
Veteran

#28 Post by thebackup »

TheChris wrote:I like your music too, though the melody is a bit louder than I would place it.
Thanks! Good to hear comments about the audio. Yeah, it's going to need some volume adjustments, still learning how to mix.

#29 Post by Loading »

I really liked the game so far. I haven't really seen anything like this before. I played it a while ago, so I don't quite remember everything I wanted to say, but the one thing I do remember is the fact that the eyes all look the same. It's a little odd to see all their eyes look the same way, but it's not that big of an issue. I would definitely not drop the game just because of that (I can be very picky when it comes to art). I think that would be it, actually. Good luck though!

thebackup
Veteran

#30 Post by thebackup »

Loading wrote:I really liked the game so far. I haven't really seen anything like this before. I played it a while ago, so I don't quite remember everything I wanted to say, but the one thing I do remember is the fact that the eyes all look the same. It's a little odd to see all their eyes look the same way, but it's not that big of an issue. I would definitely not drop the game just because of that (I can be very picky when it comes to art). I think that would be it, actually. Good luck though!
Well the eyes are similar in style, but they do have variances between each character (width, height, eyelashes, etc...).

And thanks, glad you liked the game!