Check Out [Boardgame][Simulation]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
blue0o
Organization: Art Adrenaline Studio

Check Out [Boardgame][Simulation]

#1 Post by blue0o »

Hi, Check Out is now ready for beta testing. I originally posted the game concept in the WIP section on September 17, 2014, but now a working version is ready.

Download the game & post your feedback. Critiques & suggestions on how to make the game better are appreciated. Beta or "Demo" version is the full game. The idea is to play the full game & not a crippled or limited version to get honest feedback. Click on the files below to download. Thank you for support. : )

Rulebook
Windows
Mac
Linux

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro

Check Out is a digital board game about a clerk working in a health food store trying to make money & all the interesting characters who enter the store. The tone of the game is lighthearted & silly. The game does NOT have many backgrounds like a VN. In fact, it only has one, (the game board). In the board are spaces for the tokens, cards, & a score sheet. There is still text at the bottom of the screen though like a regular VN.

Check Out is also a simulation game. It depicts events that actually happen in the world of retail. Most of the characters in the game are based on real customers in a real health food store in Santa Clarita, CA.

Goal

Goal of the game is to make as much money as you can with the time you have left. Story-wise, the clerk only has an 8 hour shift, but actual game time is done in rounds & turns like an RPG.

Gameplay is boiled down into 3 steps. It's not hard.

1) Meet a customer in any of the 3 departments in the store.
2) Negotiate or flirt w/ the customer to convert them into a buyer.
3) Check them out at the register to make a cash conversion.

It's not easy either. There are characters & events in the game that will prevent you from getting your goal. The most dangerous one is the health inspector.

Ending

The game ends when you finish your shift, & your cash is still above zero. The health inspector can also shut down the store & end the game if he gives you too many citations. In the end you get a final report, like an income statement. (Again, this game can actually be a simulator for a store, but that would be boring.)

This is my 1st Renpy game. Right now the game is a Renpy hobbyist's dream. Don't know if there is a market for this type of game, not just Check Out but digitized board games in general. Critiques are welcome.

Note: The health inspector card is actually wrong. 2 citations will shut down the store, not 3.
Logo
Logo
Intro
Intro
Blue hour cards give a short description of the upcoming hour & the characters who will be in the game.
Blue hour cards give a short description of the upcoming hour & the characters who will be in the game.
The game board consist of 3 departments in the center, tokens in the upper right, cards on the lower right, & a score sheet in the upper left.
The game board consist of 3 departments in the center, tokens in the upper right, cards on the lower right, & a score sheet in the upper left.
The health inspector is the most dangerous character in the game.
The health inspector is the most dangerous character in the game.
This is the final report plus a purple ending card.
This is the final report plus a purple ending card.

mollycubed

Re: Check Out [Boardgame][Simulation]

#2 Post by mollycubed »

First off, I'd like to say how much the bowel issues and losing the bathroom key made me laugh. :lol:
Anyone that has worked retail knows how horrendous this is.

Initially I was kind of confused and just started clicking on the different departments. I figured it out quick, but a better explanation of what you're supposed to be doing might be in order.

I thought the bathroom sex was kind of tacky with the moaning. The rest of the game is light hearted, and afterwards she says "that really was a quickie" or something. I think playing on the light heartedness of the game would be better for the bathroom sex route. Instead of moaning, maybe Sad Trombone (http://www.sadtrombone.com/).

I really liked the game board layout. I haven't played many of them, but this one has a great start. I liked the tokens, but I only found two of them. The shitty kid and the bathroom key. I'm gonna replay it to see if I can get more. 8)

Fun game overall!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#3 Post by sasquatchii »

Hmmmm, I was a little confused (I didn't play through the whole thing so maybe if I did it'd make more sense?

I felt like the text box was big and clunky and frustrating because it got in the way of me being able to see the game board.

Also, I struggled to understand the point of the game, right now it feels like a game where I was just clicking a bunch. I think this has a lot of potential, and would like to see more of a story involved. (But that's just me, I love stories. IN RPG's and other games I always felt frustrated because I wanted to get through the actual gameplay as fast as possible to find out more of the story.).

Lastly, I noticed a grammar mistake - whenever you meet someone, the text on the screen will say "You meet difficult customer" or "You meet no customer." I think it should say "You meet a difficult customer." or "You meet no customers."
ImageImage

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#4 Post by meiri »

I am superbly impressed!

Error-wise, nothing. No errors have popped up for me, but I haven't finished all the way through either. But it's very impressive, with the complexity of the game to not have encountered anything, so kudos to you!
I love the command-line style cutscenes. I'm not sure why, but they appeal to me a lot and I feel they fit in well with game. I'm also very fond of the loading bars during negotiations and flirting, etc.
The gameplay is great. It starts off a little slow, but I finally realized that the further you actually get into the game, the more interesting characters pop out. I really like the digitized board game feel and its very enjoyable to play, and has a very attractive replayability quality!

A visual suggestion I have, is during the loading bar, maybe a little text above it saying something like: "Rolling Digital Dice..." or "Rolling Dice...", just for aesthetics. ;)

I agree with sasquatchii about the textbox-- its pretty distracting, and I want to be able to see the whole game board. I'd suggest maybe putting it at the right with the other text if possible. The sentences are pretty short, so I think it'd fit.

Im quite interested in this and cant wait to see the result, so good luck!

EDIT: I feel like the possibility of getting the grazer or rowdy kid in the beginning is a bit too high. Its very very difficult to get past hour 7. While the difficulty is a charming quality of the game, I feel like the way it occurs is strange, almost as if I could call it a bug? If I choose produce or grocery early on in the game, I get the grazer for the rest of my turns until the game terminates from store damage.
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#5 Post by verysunshine »

I was playing the game on my mac. Aside from the sex and bowel sound effects making me uneasy and the GUI looking a bit bland, I thought it was great. I even got the bonus hour and the easter egg. When I opened the easter egg, I got an error.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 4847, in script
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 58, in <module>
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 538, in <module>
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 558, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/exports.py", line 925, in say
    who(what, interact=interact)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 817, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 683, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 486, in display_say
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ui.py", line 264, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/core.py", line 2065, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/core.py", line 2652, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 774, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 774, in event
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 352, in event
    rv = run(action)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 274, in run
    return var(*args, **kwargs)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/curry.py", line 38, in __call__
    **dict(self.kwargs.items() + kwargs.items()))
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/game.py", line 283, in call_in_new_context
    return renpy.execution.run_context(False)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/execution.py", line 515, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 558, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/exports.py", line 925, in say
    who(what, interact=interact)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 817, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 683, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 462, in display_say
    what_text = show_function(who, what_string)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 667, in do_show
    **self.show_args)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/character.py", line 272, in show_display_say
    return renpy.display.screen.get_widget(screen, "what", layer)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/screen.py", line 646, in get_widget
    screen.update()
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/screen.py", line 288, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/screenlang.py", line 1239, in __call__
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, locals=scope)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 58, in <module>
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/screen.py", line 621, in use_screen
    screen.function(**scope)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/screenlang.py", line 1239, in __call__
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, locals=scope)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1382, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 538, in <module>
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ui.py", line 918, in textbutton
    return add(_textbutton(label, **kwargs))
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ui.py", line 913, in _textbutton
    rv = renpy.display.behavior.Button(style=style, clicked=clicked, **button_kwargs)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 540, in __init__
    super(Button, self).__init__(child, style=style, **properties)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 832, in __init__
    super(Window, self).__init__(style=style, **properties)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/layout.py", line 102, in __init__
    super(Container, self).__init__(**properties)
  File "My_Computer_Harddrive/Downloads/checkout-1.0-mac/checkout.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/display/core.py", line 183, in __init__
    self.style = renpy.style.Style(style, properties) # @UndefinedVariable
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

Darwin-10.8.0-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 6.17.7.521
checkout 0.0
I hope you can fix this.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!