Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem (FULL DEMO!)

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
ZennyZenZen
Regular
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari

Re: Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem (Demo Thread)!

#16 Post by ZennyZenZen »

I just finished the part with the matchmaker. I have to say that the game seems very complex to make and that it took lots of experience and work to accomplish. I admire that. I love thinking about how elaborate the making of this game must have been, having to program every bit of story variation depending not only on your personalities, but also your skills, your knowledge, and the people you decide to socialize with.

I love the story-mode and challenge-mode option. This game reminds me of the Steam visual novel, "Long Live The Queen," which I might add, appears to be a simpler version of this one. In "Long Live The Queen" there are soo many ways to die and leaves very little freedom of choice. At least in this game, in story-mode, you are allowed to be free with your choices without having to be robbed of the ending so that you could be the princess that you want to be all throughout the game.

The game is kinda wordy and lengthy, which some might find appealing, but I believe in general that lengthy wordy stories are not very. While that is personally off-putting, I do find the story admirably interesting, and I love how interactive the game is. It's so interactive that I hardly think this visual novel is about the story at all. It's more of a game or simulation about being a princess or Lady in this fantasy world.

The wide variety of characters makes it seem exhausting to keep up with, but that kind of makes the game feel realistic. As a princess, I am in no doubt that I have to trouble myself to socialize with much people of character. In a way, my very ignorance of the characters various personalities and history plays well with how I would want my character to be.

That's all I can say about the game so far. I will proceed to make a different sort of review on the WIP forum of this game.

annpan
Regular
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn

#17 Post by annpan »

After playing story mode, it is indeed lengthy. I would suggest to put in some cgs since it go a long way then staring at the backgrounds.

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#18 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

I finally got around to playing this... and was completely blown away!

This game is amazing! Almost all of the stat raising games I've played I've felt that the characters take a back seat. Not so here! All of your characters seem complex, each with their own agendas, talents, and life stories.

I'll admit that the skills themselves put me off a little in the beginning. There were so many of them and character creation sequence at the beginning of the game was a little long. Once I got past that though I couldn't stop. I loved your characters and was immediately drawn into their story. I find myself wanting to improve my skills not just for the pride value of overcoming the challenges but also to unlock more content.

I also want to mention how well written it is. There are some typos, yes. I recommend running your script through word spellchecker, that should at least pick up most of them. There were also a few times when you use both past and present tense in the same sentence which is confusing. However, I mostly stopped noting these things after I'd played for a while because on the whole it was just so great. I played a character with high eloquence and you nailed that. All of her dialogue was so witty it sometimes made me laugh out loud. It's something I rarely see done well and I was thrilled to see it here.

You've done an amazing job and as sad as I am that it'll probably take a while for this masterpiece to be finished I am willing to wait for it. Thank you for all your work so far! It really shows!

Hanabii
Deviantart: HanabiArts

#19 Post by Hanabii »

I played this a few days ago and it's sooo nice!! :)
Can't wait to see this released~

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#20 Post by wyverngem »

This is a lot of fun, though with so many people it'd be nice to have a cheat list when you choose to invite them to events. EDIT: To be a little more clear. By a cheat list, maybe a more visually system of actually seeing the faces while you make the choices. Also I really enjoyed playing this. It was a lot of fun. The only thing I would recommend would be having the letters in an alternate text. ^^; Some of them were hard to read, so I gave up and didn't read half.

doodle

#21 Post by doodle »

Just played through the demo. This is an amazing game! It's pretty much what I wanted Long Live The Queen to be (even though that game is still amazing).

It took me some time to learn how everything worked with the skills/personality/knowledge - system, and I failed quite a lot, but it's so full of challenges and things to do that you just want to go back and try again.

The characters are intriguing, and I feel like there's a lot more to them than what meets the eye.

Something I'd really like, however, is if
you could save the letters you've received, so you can read them again. Or maybe you can, and I've just missed it?
Also... Is it possible to form any kind of relationship (romance/respect/friendship) with Jasper? I thought it'd be strange if you couldn't seeing how you can with Ria and the other girl who helps you.

Agh... And now I will have to wait for the full game. I'm so excited!

alylt
Regular
Projects: Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem
Organization: Azalyne Studios
Tumblr: azalynestudios
Deviantart: alylt

#22 Post by alylt »

doodle wrote:Just played through the demo. This is an amazing game! It's pretty much what I wanted Long Live The Queen to be (even though that game is still amazing).

It took me some time to learn how everything worked with the skills/personality/knowledge - system, and I failed quite a lot, but it's so full of challenges and things to do that you just want to go back and try again.

The characters are intriguing, and I feel like there's a lot more to them than what meets the eye.

Something I'd really like, however, is if
you could save the letters you've received, so you can read them again. Or maybe you can, and I've just missed it?
Also... Is it possible to form any kind of relationship (romance/respect/friendship) with Jasper? I thought it'd be strange if you couldn't seeing how you can with Ria and the other girl who helps you.

Agh... And now I will have to wait for the full game. I'm so excited!
Hi doodle! Thanks so much for playing and for taking the time to write, I super appreciate it :)

As for letters - the actual letters are in one of the galleries in the bonus section, and for the full demo (now in beta!) the text will also be added to your journal :)

As for Jasper.... It's a secret. Mwahahaha.

You don't have to wait for the full game, the full demo is what is coming out next. That will have a bunch of improvements and new stuff, and goes to the end of week three. It just started beta, so it should be ready soonish! (And we are still accepting beta testers if you want to sign up! Go to our forums, create an account and post in this thread: http://azalynestudios.forumatic.com/vie ... ?f=73&t=59 )

doodle

#23 Post by doodle »

Oh, thanks for clearing that up!
Now I'm too curious about Jasper.......

I'd love to do the beta testing! I'll go make an account and sign up ^^

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#24 Post by Katta »

Awesome project! Sorry if that was asked already but I really like the Pirate Daughter background and want to go in the mother's steps and kidnap the guy from Wellin, will that be possible? :D

alylt
Regular

#25 Post by alylt »

Katta wrote:Awesome project! Sorry if that was asked already but I really like the Pirate Daughter background and want to go in the mother's steps and kidnap the guy from Wellin, will that be possible? :D
Hi Katta!

It will definitely be possible to *threaten* to kidnap people in the game. For in-game political reasons (kidnapping anyone for real, especially the Crown Prince of Wellin, when the whole known world is on the verge of war? Yeah...that would lead to actual war) and for making-the-game practical reasons (That would lead to a lot of branching just for one background) *actual* kidnapping is not going to be on the table.

But you are more than welcome to head-canon/create stories where your Pirate actually absconds with someone :)

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#26 Post by Katta »

Oh, you break my heart :( He looked like a good catch)
Then I guess I'll switch to Duke Lyon, he's cute)

alylt
Regular

Re: Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem (FULL DEMO!)

#27 Post by alylt »

Hi everyone! Just posting to let everyone know that the first post has been updated to reflect that the full demo is out!

YAY!

So for anyone who was waiting for it to be out of beta, now is your chance :)

In the full demo you will find:
-The first three weeks of the game.
-Over 160,000 words of content.
-Six unique backgrounds.
-The ability to start 12 unique romances.
-Meet and befriend over 22 characters.
-77 possible achievements.
-A Fanart Gallery.
-11 unlockable short scenes written from the POV of the romanceable game characters.

While this is the full demo, it still contains many features that are not final. We anticipate the following might change before the final game:
-Backgrounds
-GUI (especially the preferences page/the save-load page/the relationship bars/and the bonus section)
-The Journal
-CGs (or rather the lack of them)

Loading saves from earlier versions of the demo may cause bugs. New games are recommended. (If you want to load old saves, try and load a save earlier than the end of any of the previous demos.)

Thanks you guys <3

Kaylinh
Deviantart: aurea-sidera

#28 Post by Kaylinh »

Hello,
I played through the demo twice, and I think I may play it again soon!
I really enjoyed the main character creation - although being overwhelming at first, I was pleased to see such innovation in a visual novel (to my knowledge)!
When I first played the game, the huge amount of characters we could interact with was overwhelming too, but when you start to get it, it's really enjoyable, and I'm sure everyone found their match! ^^ Despite being so many people, the characters' depth looks really good (even from just the demo)!
The mysteries revolving around the isle, its inhabitants (*cough* handsome Jasper *cough*), the Chaperones' intrigue, all of this and many more makes the game really interesting.
When I read the "Friends? With a manipulative bitch like you?", after turning down Jarrod... xD That gave me quite the laugh, haha!
In any case, it's one of the best visual novels I played so for, and I can't wait for your release! Thanks for your hard work :)

alylt
Regular

#29 Post by alylt »

Hi Kaylinh!

I'm so glad you are enjoying the game~

Thank you so much for playing and taking the time to write :) It means a lot!

Beckers
Regular

#30 Post by Beckers »

Just finished the demo and I have to say, I couldn't tear myself away until I was finished. To echo the thoughts others have expressed, the long character creation was a little daunting at first, but after that, I was hooked. Looking back now, I have to say the ambitious character creation system you built is pretty amazing; because with so many traits, skills and opportunities for customization, you can make a character that really feels and plays like you, or anyone else you choose to play as. I do think that background art and CGs would help, as the game is text-heavy at times (but the writing is beautiful and the character's and their history are rich, so no complaints here). Also, it's the only time I've ever cared so much about building my stats; they actually counted! I wanted to grow and learn; I wanted to explore the characters and break down their walls. The story drew me in to that degree.

All in all, this is one of the best VNs I've played, even though it's still in the demo stage. It seemed to combine everything I've been looking for, and I really can't wait to play the full version! You definitely have another backer in me once the fundraiser launches. I hope at some point a tutorial will be available, too, for harder to please characters. Best of luck with the game :)