Imaginatum [BxG] [Slice of Life]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
kitsalai
Regular
Projects: Imaginatum

Imaginatum [BxG] [Slice of Life]

#1 Post by kitsalai »

DOWNLOAD LINKS
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y450j ... .2-all.zip
https://mega.nz/#!Kc0y3CwT!j-rrXdx4A9x0 ... JCs3SMSnqA

STORY
The story takes place in the 22nd century where the advancement of neurotechnology (in the form of a system called Imaginatum) revolutionizes society. But for the high school boy Ren Rollins, life isn't all that much different from any other time period. After transferring to his cousin's school Ren finds himself joining a prestigious club, meeting extraordinary people, and discovering new challenges. Experience the adventures of Ren's new life!

SCREENSHOTS
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

CHARACTER LIST
https://imaginatum.wordpress.com/characters/

BACKGROUND
Well, it's finally here. A playable demo of my first ever visual novel! At the start of this project, my goal was to make a generic Japanese bishoujo game but after couple years in the making, it's really become a weird mix of sci-fi, action, sport, and comedy (if you get my poor humor). It hasn't gotten far enough to incorporate the drama and romance that was initially planned. Still, I think it turned out okay so far but it's definitely amusing how nothing has happened yet.

Because of the long lifespan of this project, there are a number of inconsistencies in the backgrounds, writing, and music among other things. I tried to fix many of these issues but the long breaks in between sub-projects have caused me to forget the small tricks I used. Before starting this project I really knew nothing, so it's been a blast teaching myself to draw, program, generate CG, and write music.

To those that play the demo please realize it will take many more years before the game is even close to being complete. The introduction arc isn't even complete so keep an open mind if you want to enjoy it. That being said, any feedback is welcome! Be honest! Don't be afraid be critical! There are some things that can't be changed such as my crappy artwork or the direction the game is going, but I know for a fact my storytelling needs a lot of work. Let me know what you like and dislike.

SO FAR
50,000+ words
Linear storyline (ends on a "cliffhanger")
Couple of minigames
4 heroines (no routes yet)
Lots of backgrounds (no CGs)
23 awesome songs ^_^

OTHER
PG-13 (for language and immaturity)
Free to play!

Karl_C
Veteran

Re: Imaginatum [BxG] [Slice of Life]

#2 Post by Karl_C »

kitsalai wrote:That being said, any feedback is welcome! Be honest! Don't be afraid be critical!
Wow, this is a really big 'demo' (50.000+ words, 6hrs. 1min. accumulated playtime). Anyway, thanks for releasing it. ;)

A short review:

Positive:
  • works without glitches, even on my Linux machine
  • nice character sprites
  • backgrounds acceptable too
  • some features I've never seen in other games (like the slider menu).
  • minigames that doesn't affect the story (because I'm not that good in minigames and deselect or skip them in other games whenever possible)
Negative:
  • even after 6hrs. playtime, I still don't understand this 'neurotechnology / imaginatum' thing?
  • the only interesting game character is Kristen, which appears late in the game. The other characters are (currently?) either too smart, good, cheerful or optimistic to be interesting.
  • you try to include possible future views on current events ('global warming' etc.), but not consistent enough.
  • as you wrote already: 'It hasn't gotten far enough to incorporate the drama and romance that was initially planned.'
Short: A solid work of 'VN craftsmanship', that (in my opinion) currently lacks interesting characters with a backstory and romance.

kitsalai
Regular

#3 Post by kitsalai »

Thank you for playing and giving feedback! I put a lot of work into proofreading it, so I appreciate the praises. There is a small bug that I came across the last minute. I'm glad you didn't stumble upon it.

I do agree with most of the negative statements you've made. The story's based on a flimsy foundation, it's been more of write-as-it-comes kind of deal. I've probably tried to add too much (like the scavenger hunt and the sport games) that I've glossed over other points like how neurotechnology's changed society. It's definitely on my to-do list to fix/rewrite the script, but I'm having trouble finding a good way to do it without scrapping the whole thing.
Karl_C wrote:
  • the only interesting game character is Kristen, which appears late in the game. The other characters are (currently?) either too smart, good, cheerful or optimistic to be interesting.
I find it funny you like Kris the most, as she's probably my least favorite heroine. Personal preference. Anyway, all the main characters (including Kris) are supposed to represent perfection in one way or another. I guess that does make them seem one-dimension. I wanted to reveal the less pleasant aspects of their personality when you take their route, but clearly that's going to take me forever to get to.
Karl_C wrote:
  • you try to include possible future views on current events ('global warming' etc.), but not consistent enough.
I'm a little bit confused on what you mean by "not consistent enough".

Karl_C
Veteran

#4 Post by Karl_C »

kitsalai wrote:Anyway, all the main characters (including Kris) are supposed to represent perfection in one way or another. I guess that does make them seem one-dimension.
Hm, reading an endless success story of perfect characters is not so interesting, at least not for me? Even most characters in Otome games have a weak point, which makes them more 'human'?

kitsalai
Regular

#5 Post by kitsalai »

Hey Karl_C. I do plan on revealing their stories later on when the protagonist finally starts to get to know the other characters better. And trust me, their routes will be anything but "an endless success story". This first arc is kinda just introducing everybody (I've only written like 10% of the game after all). But yeah, it's probably way too drawn out.

Not sure why you mention Otome games. I've only played several Otome games but they seem as silly as Bishojo games (and I've played more than enough of those :wink: ). As far as I can tell, "interesting" characters really depends on the developer/writer.