"Aaand Now I'm A Box" - [VN/Platformer] [THREAD UPDATE]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Jasmine Quartz

"Aaand Now I'm A Box" - [VN/Platformer] [THREAD UPDATE]

#1 Post by Jasmine Quartz »

A Tale Of Love, Friendship and the Absolute End of Everything

Aaand Now I'm A Box is a heavily story driven game with some platforming elements.

Synopsis:

The end of everything has begun. It started with everything being reduced to simple shapes and in the next 80 days the universe and time itself will end for good. There is no clever trick and no way out.
The only thing that will save these five friends, is dying with a smile.

DEMO:

https://mega.nz/#!L5Z3QBQI!cmdPjmt595vK ... GYb5_5-sQ0
Size: 176 MB

Screenshots

Still not interested?
The following is a larger synopsis of what happening within the plot. However it spoils some things in the demo, you have been warned.
In this abstract world, some people have been granted a power, Randall, one of the main characters was given the ability to time travel. But only once.
After watching all his friends die crying before the absolute end, he finally uses his power. He decides that the only way for everyone to die happy, is to cure their heartaches and grant their wishes now, before quickly killing them himself before they can notice.
No one can witness the horror of the absolute end.

IMPORTANT NOTES

The point of this post is to check how interesting the story is in its current state and see if a full game is worth pursuing.
As a result, some elements weren't added that would obviously be added in the full game.
Most notably there is no options menu. This means there's no way to edit sound levels or exit the game without using alt F4.
Also please note that there's an automatic save function every time the screen fades to black, so if you want, you can exit and come back to the demo at any time.

ABOUT CRITICISM
Please feel free to give your absolute honest opinion, no matter what it is.
I'm actually a friend of the creator. He was too nervous to read the comments himself so he asked me to manage the thread.
If it so happens that this game is absolutely terrible, then i'm here to break that to him gently. So please don't hold back.

warmsundae
Regular
Soundcloud: lanterny

Re: "Aaand Now I'm A Box" - [VN/Platformer] [THREAD UPDATE]

#2 Post by warmsundae »

Sorry if it's simple, but how do I play the game after I download and extract it? Can I play it on a mac? Am I not supposed to extract it?

Ayano
Completed: Stargazer program
Organization: Bear Gears
Github: Polynominal

#3 Post by Ayano »

[!!] SPOILERS AHEAD [!!]

As with any of my reviews I will start off with the bad stuff and give you a pat on the back later, so don't lose hope in the middle.

First: The title.
"Aaand Now I'm A Box"
its just not memorable, no-one is going to google that! Smart people will copy it and those not bothered will just skip past your game all together.
"Aaand" is not only annoying but absolutely useless and immature at best and the title doesn't really make sense.
Instead of it being a whole sentence I'd rather pick a single short word that no one has used before perhaps something along the lines of "Boxed-in" or if you want a longer title: "A box of us", something memorable and easily google-able.
The writing:
The story is Good, its really good! But not Excellent :(

You have made enough room in your plot big enough that you can extend your legs and hands and you will still have plenty of room, this is always good and you have really let your dreams loose on this one.
I kept getting the taste of this game being their first "baby" so to speak, that one game that they always wish they could make however as opposed to all of those who have failed this idea this one sticks out of the crowd. Why? Because even though its humble it presents itself in the best light possible in an immature cute way that makes you pat it on the head and smile.

The writing is amateur in some parts filled with "??!?!??" and lacks proof reading with some little "i"'s that sneak up on you not to mention the over use of "gunna" with every character saying that over and over, it losses its charm quickly.
Not to mention the FULL ON CAPSLOCK THAT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A CHILD. Stop while you can!

There is swearing... Too much of it and hence once again it looses its meaning and just drowns in monotony and that "I do what I want" feeling from Layla dissipates after a while due to this. Not to mention that some people are really fussy about swearing [ not me :) ]

Randal mentions that Zack is the first one who he kills, but what about himself in the very begging? Although this poses a deeper question. However technically Randal still killed someone albeit not current-self.

Not everyone lives in the Great Britain so the traitors in the new world wont understand what "Year 11" is in terms of education [because they don't have any] and neither will that Russian/Brazilian guy. Try to replace it with something more general and keep away from local references, they will leave most people in the dark.

The start was too weak, It just jumps straight into the story with little warm up, add some lube and foreplay it will be less painful to take the whole picture into consideration.

The Graphics:
This is where the game really shines, it gets its atmosphere right in every way. There is striking contrast, continuous theme, style and a strong commitment sustain it all the way from characters to the UI.

The art itself is "Meh" but the style adds so much more to it and gives off that "Cute" vibe you get when looking at your little sister when she draws you holding her hand.

With hair being the largest problem, it just looks messy and too thick like a large bear thats stuffed onto someones head especially when it comes to Jasmine and later Layla who's hair looks like two large masses stuck together with super glue.

However I must say that this is fine for your product. It really is! It is supposed to be imperfect and this imperfection has actually benefited you! Only a talented craftsman can achieve that, even though immature and rather bland in some places the art manages to convey much more emotions than a fully "professional" looking piece of art almost like the characters would actually be somewhat alive or even if their images were drawn by themselves.

Otherwise the game looks well done especialy with the well placed blurs but lacks a bit of Bloom and It'd be a good investment to look into that or some other fancy shaders as it lacks that bit of umph to amaze me.
The death scenes didn't impress me however, I felt that they were a letdown they almost made no impact on me especially the first death this of course is more to do with the writing but it is also a blame to the graphics as they are supposed to make it a little more dramatic.

Oh and there was that annoying line where the screen tears for some reason, especially in the castle part, it really started to annoy me as it became more and more visible.

The Gameplay:
There are invisible walls T_T and invisible walls are cancer. Please do NOT use invisible walls it destroys your world. It really does! I lost immersion immediately once I hit one and unless you can make some sort of an excuse in the plot, it is likely that other players will too.

It feels constraining, I have just about enough control but I am left wanting so much more that it irritates me, for example why can't I switch between nodes easily (eg a key)? This frustrated me in some parts and left me a little uneasy in others.
I won't complain about the lack of a double jump though as that is actually crucial to the plot but its addition will certainly give more control to the player.

The longer the story goes the less gameplay there is T_T. I wanted to play more levels.. They were just the right length in the begging. A bit of story to entice me and then a level but then slowly it started to deteriorate it was just story, story and story again and so it left my mouth dry and desperate for much needed gameplay and once I got it, it was too little! Its like you are starving a little child and giving him bread crumbs as you swallow a load of bread (in-game cut scenes) just in front of him.

some of the gameplay challenges were in fact quite challenging (in the wrong way) and I managed to get stuck on some parts T_T but I never lost engagement and it never really overwhelmed my need to know more about the plot.

User experience:
This is your weakest link. First off why is your button arrangement:

Exit New Continue

Shouldn't it be:

*Remove Continue if no saves are there
[Continue] New Exit

Your color scheme for that was Waaay off. I thought at first that Exit actually meant start as you know on the traffic lights Green usually means GO and red usually means Stop. Its like you don't want me to play your game T_T which is exaggerated with Exit being my first choice.

You need add things like Log and a way to scroll through the dialogue in case I accidentally press Enter or LMouse because I missed some parts of the dialogue as I made notes.

The gameplay controls are smooth however: Why Enter for moving the dialogue? Enter is a difficult key to reach for why not space? This way you can cut down the use of keys and remove the strain on my hands [I don't like reaching for my mouse either cuz I am lazy].

Sound:
I though my cooker finished baking seven cakes as I listened to the SFX. That "Ding" noise is really out of place with the whole theme and often hints at how overcooked it is, do a bit of sound synthesizing to keep that beast under control!

There were moments of silence.. Which I don't know if where intended or not which I felt detracted from my experience. The sound did its job however and kept the atmosphere right with each track hitting in the appropriate moment.

There isn't much to say here but please do make more tracks as currently it feels a little shallow.

My final thoughts
Its Good!

This game definetly outlived my expectations.
I was expecting someting really immature and extremley shallow but what I found was rather deep and immature.. But in a good way! So much so that it made me smile a few times.
The contrast between the sad and happy parts really intrigued me, it was something that I like to see in anime [like madoka magica] and VN's alike. This game shows a clear command of this contrast and uses it to great effect to add to the atmosphere not only in the plot but in the graphics too!

The gameplay is well refined and interweaves seamlessly with the VN elements making the experience so much more enjoyable.

Even though some of the writing was immature I really did feel for the story what it didn't have in maturity it made up in with its strong theme and striking contrast.

If I were to rate it out of 10 I would probably say 4. However my scale is rather low. With other games like Nekopara having a 5 (and thats a good game!!) however with a bit of work this game may definitely strike a 6 or higher.
The central idea could probably harbor a 6 as it stands but that means NOTHING as ideas are just that.

Suggestions:
Get a proof reader / editor ASAP, this game begs for one in every way, as it currently stands.. Well I think my good friend Ramsay puts it the best:
ITS RAW!!!!
Although I think you already know that.

The graphics department could do with a bit more tweening.

Just a little bit more and this game would be fully marketable and perhaps even profitable!

Oh and one more thing, add some of these: ♥ ♪ they will definitely spice up the game.

To answer your question
Is a full game worth your effort?
I don't know and no one can tell you that except yourself. Does the game look good to YOU, did YOU like to play through it? I certainly did but does that mean everyone else will. No! Definetly not, some peope will immedatley ditch this game as it is too artsy for them or not enough boobs or whatever. But! I think you answered that question already with the work you put in the game. It is clearly beyond a simple prototype.

After note
If you can I'd like to know if this game was made by a single person, that being the friend of yours.

This is one of the games where I am in the middle on this. It feels like its made by a single person but some elements have been given more love and give off a different vibe than others, eg in-game graphics and the character drawings with the in-game graphics being more refined and professional..

Oh and with that friend of yours. They should get some confidence quick because they will need it! ;)

#4 Post by Loading »

I didn't have time to play the entire game, but I have a few things to say.

I have to agree with Ayano on this. The name is not memorable, and the "Aaand" looks unprofessional and (I hate to say it, but) annoying. Even "And Now I'm a Box" would be better. I'd recommend choosing something else though.

There are grammar mistakes everywhere. The large amount of words or even entire sentences in all caps and the overwhelming amount of exclamation marks in some areas make it look very immature and not professional at all. Instead of the caps, it's much better to use bold or italics (though there are probably rules for when to use which, and I'm not informed on when you do use which) and stick to one exclamation (or question) mark. Swearing is alright (though there are people who are very triggered by it), but only in moderation. Add too much and it'll look bad, or even annoying.
As Ayano said, the story suddenly jumps into the middle of everything and I was confused for a while even though I read what it's about. Just imagine if I hadn't read it. This definitely needs some work, and a proof reader (or a few).

One other thing I'd like to say is that Randall killing himself was very... Uneventful? He pulled out two swords from nowhere, and suddenly the story was progressing as if nothing had happened in the first place. In this sort of genre, it's important to emphasize on these sort of parts. I'm not saying you should write a 2000 word essay on how exactly Randall killed himself, but definitely add in more detail. If all the deaths are like this, it's likely to even repel many players.

The art style is nice. Definitely not what I would have expected from a visual novel sort of game, but nevertheless, I like it. It does look a bit amateurish though (but a lot better than some people's art I see here). It looks very monochrome though, and by "very," I mean a lot. I feel like that sort of helps build the vibe of the game though, so it's not a bad thing in this case. Just something to keep note of if you ever work on any other projects.

Another thing about the amateurishness of the art is that it's very visible in, for example, your second to last image in the post. The CG with Randall and Layla hugging. Randall's posture looks off, and the hand definitely looks very off. I'm not sure what the sharp angled line (referring to the shading here) at the bottom of the shirt is supposed to represent. I'm going to assume it's supposed to be a fold, and it's very important to remember that when you have a fold, it's not just the middle of the fabric that has the fold. in other words, the bottom of the shirt looks like there is no fold, but the shading makes it look like there's a considerable fold in it. It looks quite unnatural.

Concerning the gameplay, I do have to admit it took me a while to even figure out how to work things. While it did say you bounce off the balls, I'm not sure everyone would get the physics of the game immediately. That being said, even after I figured it out, it was still very hard to get anywhere. I didn't play much of the game at all, and it was already frustrating that I was having such a hard time. I'm not sure what you could do to fix this without making any major changes though. Maybe take away a few of those bouncing balls?

Definitely change the button arrangement and the colors associated with each. The first time I opened the game and (finally) got to the buttons, I went to the first one, because, well, it was first, which generally means it's continue game or new game, and because it was green, which generally means you're OK to go. You're probably thinking something along the lines of "Well, why didn't you read the text above it then?" at the moment. Maybe it was because of myself paying too little attention to it, but I indeed see the text since I glanced at it, and then still went for the first button.

Most visual novels (and similar games), as far as I'm aware, have enter, space and the left mouse buttons to move further in the text. I generally use the space bar, and I'm sure many other people do too, so despite the "Enter" on the right of the text, I still pressed the space bar instinctively and was surprised that it didn't do anything.

One thing you do need to know is that Unity is disliked by many people because it's apparently buggy. I myself have little experience with it, so I can't really tell you. What I can tell you though, is that as soon as the dialogue started and I pressed the space bar, the game suddenly stopped responding. My PC is new, has everything updated etc, I wasn't doing anything in the background and I didn't spam every key I could to try and get it to crash, so there was not really any reason for the game to suddenly freeze. It's definitely not good if it does this more often, so keep an eye out for that.

To answer your final notes:
The synopsis was interesting and caught my attention. I can't comment on whether the game itself is interesting or not, since I haven't played enough of it.
Unless I happened to read that part about the screen fading to black meaning the game autosaved, I would have probably not noticed for a long time. It might be worth it to either add a "How to play" button in the menu explaining things in more detail (not just controls), or to flash a (perhaps white) "Saving..." in the corner when it fades to black.
You might also want to add an options menu, especially with sliders or at least on/off to adjust the sound (bgm, effects).

That being said, I think the game definitely has potential. It's definitely not "absolutely terrible."

Ayano
Completed: Stargazer program
Organization: Bear Gears
Github: Polynominal

#5 Post by Ayano »

Loading wrote: Maybe it was because of myself paying too little attention to it
Its more to do with intuitive design. You shouldn't blame yourself for this either as it is clearly obvious that the colors are counter intuitive however I think this is sadly an example of how the dev has influenced his game in a negative way. I mean that in the sense that the dev didn't really want others to play this game and hence in their mind it may seem intuitive to put Exit as the first and color it in green and it would also explain why New is in red to stop you from even starting. Sadly such self-esteem issues are not that uncommon.
Loading wrote: One thing you do need to know is that Unity is disliked by many people because it's apparently buggy. I myself have little experience with it, so I can't really tell you.
Honestly thats probably the least horrifying aspect of unity. I personally think that Unity is a trap for newbie/indie developers to get cash out of them. Why?
The market place.
It is just full of stuff that you might WANT but do not NEED. For example the last game I looked at made a fundraiser and bought "SpeedTree" as a way of producing trees, but thats so unnecessary for them, they are just a VN not a AAA game. They stopped focusing on gameplay/story/sound and just lounge into fancy graphics!

Thats so sad to see as a dev.
One of the things that I absolutely adore about game dev is the ingenuity that we as devs present. As a dev I try my best to make much out of little and this trend has persisted for years in the industry. A good example of this is Billboarding and UV/Bump mapping which are all just optical illusions. Work smart not hard! Unity on the other hand stifles this by providing quick and "professional" not to mention costly features which results in a large heap of shit games with performance issues which in turn makes pesky bugs you cannot hunt down.

Most decent game engines that can be respected are offered for free (which includes selling your game without royalties), there are some good engines that are commercial too but personally I'd recommend staying away from them unless you are willing to gamble.

Thankfully this one isn't hit that badly.
Loading wrote: One other thing I'd like to say is that Randall killing himself was very... Uneventful?
I second this, however I'd like to add that this can be emphasized with fancy graphics(inbetweening in pure CG) rather than text but just jumping in with two swords out of nowhere is a bit like a wet slap to the face.

D.ray
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams/Painting Your Skin/Garden Of Machines
Projects: Love Therapy /Heart of Thorns/Resurface
Tumblr: drayreedofficial
Soundcloud: drayreed

#6 Post by D.ray »

The title

So I guess I'm the only person who actually likes the title of this VN. I think it really grabs the readers attention and makes you want to see what the game is all about. In fact that's exactly why I ended up on this page, and not on any of the other beta game pages. I read the title and thought it was both humorous, interesting and attention grabbing.

Personally i don't think it makes the game look unprofessional. Who says you need to have a super serious title in order for your game to be professional? I think your title is great and can even throw the reader a curveball if they aren't expecting something serious, but later your game does turn serious. I've watched shows, anime and read books before that have done the same thing and have successfully pulled it off. So it can be done

If I were to change anything about the title it would be to change it to simply, "And now I'm a box" Unless your game is very humorous or you want to keep the dark humor to the title.

Art

- I actually really like the art style. I think it fits the mood and atmosphere really well. I specifically really like the way the characters are colored. I don’t mind that the sprites aren’t veteran level art, it’s serviceable and has a certain charm to it. There is always room for improvement, but the art here is very usable for a game like this.

Writing/Story

- I can't say much on this, because unfortunately I didn't get very far in the game. I got stuck T.T

However that being said, I don't mind the cursing nor do I feel starting in the middle of the story is detrimental. I mean if you download or buy this game, I'm sure you read what the story was about before deciding to play it. I know there can be other reasons for starting out a story during the middle of the action, which is fine, especially if parts of the story you skipped are revealed at the end for more of an impact or juicy ending. I didn't get far in the story, but I do hope the game takes advantage of this in someway.

I also know sometimes it's impossible to fit everything you would like in a game for various reasons, but if you do plan to do a commercial release try not to short change the player.

Gameplay

- Ok so here is where my main issue lies. I couldn't get far in the story because I actually got stuck in the second platforming level. Basically, it's very hard to control the direction of your block when you want to bounce on a sphere. I don't know if you are intentionally not suppose to control the direction you bounce in, but rather use judgment calls on the angle on which you bounce on the sphere in order to get where you want. Either way it's very hard to understand and figure out how to do it. I actually couldn't figure it out so that's why I got stuck.

I think the explanation on how to bounce can also be further elaborated as it's not quite clear. Both in terms of how the game mechanic works and the controls needed to do so. I would also not use the word bounce, as I feel it's inaccurate. What you're actually doing is more like reeling and propelling yourself against the sphere. When it said bounce and I actually tried to jump onto the sphere and ended phasing through it instead, I was mystified.

I should also mention that I'm terrible with keyboard controls in general. Most of my computer gaming is done using a controller or relies heavily on my mouse.

To touch on the issue of the color scheme for the menu, I didn't have much of a problem with it as other users. I mean it's pretty obvious which sign is which if you have eyeballs. But I do think it would be more intuitive to change the color scheme to correspond to that of traffic light like others have mentioned. Unless the colors represent the characters in someway, in which case leave them alone or at the very least change them if possible, to colors that don’t confuse the player but still represent the characters in the game.

Overall I think it's pretty good. I really wished I could have gotten further in the story because it has me interested. And I definitely would purchase the full game. But the gameplay for the platforming really needs to be fixed, because otherwise it renders the game unplayable.

Or it could be I just really suck at it?
Get your Voice Over for games to sound the best.

pastelciel
Regular
Projects: 【Pitch Black Serenade】
Organization: 97Circle
itch: 97circle

#7 Post by pastelciel »

I really enjoyed this demo and will definitely play more!! I'll try to write my impressions about it.

The title: it's ok with me. Actually it made me curious about the game contents.

Resolution: I played it wide screen but I tried the windowed mode once and it produced a square so it didn't fit my screen and had to restart the game. Maybe you would like to check this.

Gameplay: I really liked the tutorial at the beginning concealed in the main menù! Anyway I would "complete" this tutorial putting platforms near the buttons to show players how to "teleport" near magnetic buttons. At the beginning you haven't still mastered the gameplay system and even a simple jump to hit the continue button is a bit of a pain. During the game some platform edges are in the way and correcting the angle of your jump is a bit frustrating. Overall I liked the concept and after a while it was so relaxing to solve puzzles and jumping around I wanted more and more of it. (Sadly there's less and less gameplay as one goes on but I figured it was because it's a sort of a prototype?)

Dialogues/Characters: I'm not English speaker, I noticed some grammar mistakes here and there but overall I really liked the dialogues! Expecially Jasmine's!. Each character has a unique personality and they can communicate really a lot with few lines! I really adore your characters, they looked so real to me and felt like spending more time with them! Jokes were funny!

Story: I like the fact you don't explain it linearly. This was the best part of this game for me. I love to put puzzle pieces together and in your game pieces fits well and story is fascinating.

Graphic: I find graphic superb. I love the style and character design is unique and communicates personality! I liked both sprites and CGs! Sprites movements worked well.

Music: I don't know if it's original or not but totally loved it.

Just a curiosity. Why boxes? I find them really cute, so I like this graphical (and also emotional) choice really fascinating but does it have any further meaning beside the one explained in the story?
Where will the story lead after the demo?
There will be choices to give charas sweet deaths or fail, or will it be just a story?
I'm a fan so I hope you will continue it! : D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
【Pitch Black Serenade】 demo is out! ⇒ [itch.io]