Tears of Glass [Romance, Supernatural, School, GxB] - DEMO

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Impulse
Regular
Projects: Tears of Glass [Romance VN, Supernatural, School, GxB]
Deviantart: mariscribbles

Tears of Glass [Romance, Supernatural, School, GxB] - DEMO

#1 Post by Impulse »

I'm so excited to say that I've completed the demo for Tears of Glass - my very first visual novel!

Tears of Glass is a free romance, GxB game with supernatural elements, but I'm sad to say that no supernatural things will occur in this demo. This is because the supernatural parts of this game is introduced later on. However, the demo will introduce all main characters with their different personalities and traits, as well as all 3 love interests. The reason I'm publishing this demo is because I want people to get a feel of how the game will look and how it's played. I'd love to hear what you think of it and if there's anything you think I should change.

Update: This game is rated 13+ because of suggestive and mature themes, foul language and crude humor. I also wanted to say that I'm aware of how ugly most of the main menu and it's screens look. The Preferences and Save/Load screens haven't even been touched as you can see, and the Gallery is just laughable. This will be fixed for the final release. I also found a typo in Naozumi's route when he and Mayumi are eating lunch outside and he says "parent" instead of "parents". This is fixed, but I won't re-upload the demo because of a small typo.

Story:

The story takes place in today's Japan. You'll be playing as Mayumi Akiyama, an 18 year old student who's just moved out from her parent's mansion into a small apartment in another town. She comes from a rich family where she was the only child - therefore she's been pampered and showered with gifts ever since she was little. However, Mayumi has never liked to be seen as "the rich and spoiled girl" and decided a few years ago she wanted to earn her own money, instead of living off of her parent's. She got a job at a local fast food joint and saved all her money until she was able to afford the small apartment. Her parent's are not very happy with her choice, but they accept it as long as she promises to call them every day (a promise Mayumi didn't expect them to take so seriously).

On the first day of school Mayumi meets three young men who will change her life forever - though she doesn't know it yet. She soon realizes something is different about these men. They give each other strange glances and seem to have a mutual secret between them - a secret Mayumi is not allowed to know. As time goes on Mayumi also realize how hard adulthood is, and she may even be falling for someone. But is it safe to chase this love?

Screenshots:
(Click to expand)
Image Image Image Image

A list of what's featured in the demo:
- About 30 min of playing time per route.
- 3 different routes with multiple choices.
- 4 CG's and a gallery.
- 5 character sprites with varying expressions and outfits (for Ayato's sprites there's also a second pose).
- Music and sound effects .
- Some GUI (dialogue- and name box, pointer, in-game menus, etc.)

A list of what is not featured in the demo, but will be included in the finished game:
- A complete main menu.
- Sprites for secondary characters.
- Paintings I've made myself.
- Different outfits and poses for Naozumi and Hiroki.
- Memory room, character profiles and re-playable scenes (unlocked after completing an ending).
- "Special scenes" that will unlock if you have done everything perfectly up to that point.
- Different endings.
- And much more!

Questions:
(If it's not too much to ask, I'd like it if you could answer these questions after playing the demo. It's completely optional and I won't curse you if you don't. ^^)

- Did you play all character routes (Ayato, Naozumi and Hiroki)? If you did, which route did you like best?
- Which of the characters personality did you like best?
- Which of the characters looks did you like best?
- Which character are you the most interested in?
- What did you think of the music and sound effects?
- What did you think of the CG?
- What did you think of the (existing) GUI?
- Was it something that bothered you about the game?
- Did you experience any bugs or crashes?
- Did you find any typos or spelling mistakes?
- If you could change anything about the game, what would it be?
- Do you think you'll play the finished game once it's released?

- EXTRA: Are you interested in a kinetic novel where you'll play as one of the love interests from this VN and the story is told from their perspective? You'll get to choose which one you want to play as and the whole story will be told again from their perspective in a new game release.

And I want HONEST critique! No sugarcoating, no lies to make me feel better. I want the game to be as good as possible so be as blatantly honest as you need to.

To check out the progress of the game so far, as well as descriptions of the characters, go visit my WIP page --> viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37523
Tears_of_Glass-demo-1.0-all.zip
(84.22 MiB) Downloaded 210 times
Current project (on hold):
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523
Demo for Tears of Glass - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Tears of Glass [Romance, Supernatural, School, GxB] - DE

#2 Post by Zelan »

WOOO!

I've downloaded the demo! I'm not sure how long it will be before I'm able to play it since I don't have a lot of free time these days, but I'll let you know what I think of it once I do. c:

Impulse
Regular

#3 Post by Impulse »

Awesome! :D
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523

Letitia_L
Regular
Projects: Up until the end
IRC Nick: Letitia
Tumblr: letigame
Deviantart: LetitiaLambrechts
itch: https://letigame.itc

#4 Post by Letitia_L »

Hey ! I just downloaded and played your demo, so here are is my feedback :p

- Did you play all character routes (Ayato, Naozumi and Hiroki)? If you did, which route did you like best?

Yes I did play all the route ! I played in this order : Hiroki, Ayato and then Naozumi. And I think my favorite route is Ayato's :D
Ayato, definitely, I have a think with bad boys ><
I really liked the look of Hiroki, I just like guys with long hair, can't help it.
I must say I am interested in all the characters. As I like Ayato the most, I am the most curious about him, but I was intrigued by the phone think with Hiroki and the bulliyng thing with Naozumi...so I would say I am the most interested in Ayato, but in the others too.
I liked it ! Especially the music theme with Ayato ^^
I really, really liked the cg where Naozomi hugged the heroine. Seriously, it was so cute ! I also liked the one with Ayato . Though, maybe the on with Hiroki was a little to much zoomed in ?
I found it really cute ! Can't wait to see the complete GUI ^^
Hum the only think I could say is that I had a hard time to read with some backround. Maybe because of the font or maybe because de backround of the GUI isn't black enough, but the text with the backround before the school and the red brick on the ground gave me a hard time :o
Nope !
Didn't find any, but I am not a native english speaker, so I am not a reference for that ^^
For now I don't see anything that need to change, aside from maybe make it easier to read ? But maybe it's just me, so wait for other feedback !
Sure, I will play it ! I am curious about the story and I want to see what will be the supernatural elements ^^

- EXTRA: Are you interested in a kinetic novel where you'll play as one of the love interests from this VN and the story is told from their perspective? You'll get to choose which one you want to play as and the whole story will be told again from their perspective in a new game release.
Yeah I would love that !

Keep up the good work :D
WIP project
Completed project

Impulse
Regular

#5 Post by Impulse »

Thank you so much for your feedback Letitia_L. I'm glad you liked the game and I'll see what I can do about the text and dialogue box. I'll make the box darker and, if more people agree with you, I might change the font as well :) If I'm honest I don't really like Hiroki's CG very much either. I think Mayumis head looks a little stretched haha, and the angle is a bit wrong. I won't scrap it, but I might edit it a bit if I got time.

I'm glad you like Ayato the best - he's also my favorite! And his theme music is definitely a gold mine. I'm so happy I found it, but it frustrates me to no end that I can't find any music for Naozumi and Hiroki that fits as well! But I'm not giving up ^^

Stay tuned and thank you again for the feedback. It's great to know I'm on the right track!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by philip »

@Impulse-

Downloaded this a couple of months ago, and for some reason didn't get back to play through it. Found it again last evening and did go through it. It's very nice, and I look forward to the release of the completed game.

I did play all the character routes, and don't really have a favorite character; they are all well defined and I hope to discover more about each of them in the final game.

Played on a mac, and did not experience any bugs or crashes. However, I did note quite a few typos/grammar mistakes, which detracted slightly from an otherwise very well done game.

Excellent job so far!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Impulse
Regular

#7 Post by Impulse »

@philip

Thank you for your feedback! I'm very happy you enjoyed the demo. ^^ I didn't really expect there to be any bugs since the coding is so simple, but I'm glad it worked on mac regardless :). I know there are some typos/grammar mistakes, but I've gotten a pretty thorough list of the ones that can be found in the demo. I've already gone through all the ones that were found and corrected them so hopefully they're gone now. I've also noted my previous mistakes (things like walk/walks, mothers/mother's, and so on) so I won't do them from this point onward, and I'll be sure to get a proof-reader as well just to be safe ^^

Koete Hoshi
Regular
Projects: fated
Organization: Iorium Studio, Wintersound Studio
Tumblr: hoshiart

#8 Post by Koete Hoshi »

Yup! I played all the routes. My preference would be Hiroki's route. I would really like to know more about him.

I liked Naozumi's personality. He's very shy and is not like the others. I think his personality is very unique an interesting.

Hiroki!^^

All of them to be honest.

The music fits the game. Although I would have liked some more interesting music in the game like in the main screen. For some reason the lack of music in the main menu screen really got to me.^^;;

The CGs were pretty decent. It would have been better if they were a bit more polished with more shading, lighting and stuff.

I really liked the GUI! The main screen and buttons were very pretty. (the textbox as well.)

No, not at all.

Nope.

Yeah, there were a few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors here and there.

Nope! The game is great as it is.

Definitely!

That would be really cool! I had always wanted a game where the story is first from the girl's perspective an then if you want then you can view the story from the guy's perspective as well! I would love to play a VN which has an option like this.

That's all! Best of luck for you project!

Impulse
Regular

#9 Post by Impulse »

@Koete Hoshi

Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy that you're interested in all of the characters, and that Hiroki is your favorite. I will take a look at the music and see if I can get something that's more interesting and fits the mood a bit better. This is a little hard for me because I'm using free music, but I'll do my best and see what I'll come up with :). I'm also really happy you liked the text-box ^^

Regarding the CG's. I've never really been very good at backgrounds and shading, and these CG's were drawn with a mouse on my computer so it takes a lot of time and limits what I can do. I now own a tablet which means I can do more effects and better lines etc. and I'm planning on re-coloring the CG's because I've gotten better at it now (though, shading is still not my strong suit). I might also re-color the sprites to make them look better, as well as fine-tune their expressions and proportions a little.

I'm aware that there's quite a lot of typos and spelling mistakes. I've tried to find and correct as many as possible, but since English is not my native language there's bound to be some that slip past me. Ironically I'm a bit of a grammar nazi so I will find at least one proof-reader (preferably 2-3) before I release the game.

Thanks again for your feedback. I'm glad you're excited about the game and that you'd like to read the kinetic novel as well. I still don't know if I'll make the kinetic novel (I want to, but it depends on how much time I have), however if I do it will be released separately and not bundled up with the finished version of Tears of Glass.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#10 Post by wyverngem »

I feel like I've downloaded or seen this one before. I'll still give it a shot and let you know.