Character Creation Demo

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Character Creation Demo

#1 Post by namastaii »

This is an unfinished game but I am trying to take this one step at a time (testing wise)

I have (pretty much) completed the character creation screen for my game. I redesigned it a couple of times and it's not really missing anything else other than tweaking a couple of things I can't quite tweak yet.

It's ready to be tested and critiqued. I would just like to know any bugs you might run into or anything that annoys you(nitpicks), anything that you like. I haven't released much information about my game yet because this is something I'm doing on my own in my spare time and I don't want to share much on that actual gameplay until those parts have actually been completed.

This part (that is attached below) is basically the final version of the character creation. I've decided to make clothing choices and such limited so I can create more over time and you'll be able to unlock or 'buy' clothes. So if you're thinking there aren't much options, it was on purpose lol

oh and in case you're wondering, the 'skill 1, skill 2' etc will of course be changed to real skills.

Well..tell me what you think :) Thank you for your time.

**ps: all work and graphics and music done by me and the sprite art is by Konnett.

Character_Creation_Demo-1.0-all.zip
(72.06 MiB) Downloaded 147 times

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Character Creation Demo

#2 Post by namastaii »

7 downloads and no feedback XD

camisteja
Regular

#3 Post by camisteja »

I think the download is nice! The anatomy of the character seems off, but I don't think you really care about that. Everything seems organized enough. Maybe add little icons of what the buttons are supposed to be for? For example, an icon that has a wig on it beside the hairstyle numbers.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by namastaii »

anatomy? And the character itself I have no control over since I kind of used it from a creative commons source but everything else is my work. The clothes are also from the creative commons artist but I have added designs and colors of my own.

I was thinking about how to make those number tabs more obvious. Either by changing something on the screen or having an arrow point at them during some quick animated tutorial or something. But yeah I was already thinking that wasn't obvious enough. The icons is a good idea actually, I hadn't thought of that. Especially for the hair. So the person already kinda knows what the hair style is going to be before they push the button. Thanks for that idea :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Good news -- it worked well on my Linux computer.

What is the 'no' button (next to the top & bottom clothes options) supposed to do?

I don't tend to notice characters' eye colors. However, if you want to include a total of ten possible eye colors, that's fine.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by namastaii »

So the third row (which has the no symbol) is going to be for jackets but I still haven't decided if I'm just going to make those tops of their own because some shirts are bigger and the jacket would look really awkward and not fit over it so ...yeah, that bottom part may be changed up a bit if I don't go with jackets being another layer.

Great that it works on Linux.

Oh, and eye color is important to at least me when I'm creating characters XD Just decided to let people have a wider variety of choices I guess.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by namastaii »

How weird would something like this be? (keep in mind the buttons are still the same size at the moment...)

I am not sure how I feel about it.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#8 Post by DragoonHP »

I like the icon buttons. Much better than the present ones.

One more thing, there seems to be a slight lag (approx half a second to one second) when you click any button.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by namastaii »

Interesting you say that. I don't get a lag on my computer so I'm hoping that because my computer is a bit fast (gaming computer) that I am not realizing the performance problems it may have on other computers. It's pretty instant on mine o.o

iichan_lolbot
Veteran
Projects: iichan erogame

#10 Post by iichan_lolbot »

Hi! Very nice sprites and good looking interface!

I'd recommend you to use MatrixColor to recolor things, because storing 5-10 colored versions of each sprite is quite memory consuming.

P.S. Also, I can convert those sprites into iiCharacter ( viewtopic.php?t=21515 ) charset if you want to.

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by namastaii »

The only thing that's colored is hair and eyes and they have to be colored a certain way (as in the layers in photoshop) I can't just lay a color over the whole part or it will look pretty bad. Same with everything else though. Layers are done a specific way so I can't do matrix

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Andredron »

namastaii wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:17 pm The only thing that's colored is hair and eyes and they have to be colored a certain way (as in the layers in photoshop) I can't just lay a color over the whole part or it will look pretty bad. Same with everything else though. Layers are done a specific way so I can't do matrix
perfect implementation of changing clothes !!!

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by namastaii »

Thanks! I really need to get back to work on this game.

Andredron
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Andredron »

namastaii wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 pm Thanks! I really need to get back to work on this game.
The design is super !!!!
very awesome will you have a project!
There is an idea, but I do not know how it will suit you. And what if instead of the defined hair colors, take and add 3 color scales? as here I wrote a way, only a more beautiful way .... as in 1 project I saw about a girl who became a pirate and got to 3 mermaids guys

viewtopic.php?p=490224#p490224

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by namastaii »

It's a good idea but the way I have the sprite coded and the way the layers are in photoshop (since I have to have multiple layers for everything especially the hair) the best way is probably just using the specific colors and having those images tied to those options.