Charming Monsters: Yaoijam Demo

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
thooruchan
Regular
Completed: The Festival, a YGO fangame
Projects: Charming Monsters (WIP)
Organization: DrawOrDrop Studio
Tumblr: thooruchan
Deviantart: thooruchan

Charming Monsters: Yaoijam Demo

#1 Post by thooruchan »

Hello,

Today I finally submitted the demo to a game I've been working on for quite some time (though I didn't always have time for it, at all); as part of the Yaoijam 2016 event hosted on itch.io

This is a beta version, since due to time constrictions I didn't have time to finish everything, but I would love very much to hear what you think, suggestions, etc.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD https://itch.io/jam/yaoijam/rate/16624

Charming Monsters, the webcomic Visual Novel BL game.

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland, Behind the Doll's eyes[WIP]
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

Re: Charming Monsters: Yaoijam Demo

#2 Post by shortycake »

Congrats finishing the demo!
I really adore the web comic and can't wait to play this! Downloading right now!

thooruchan
Regular

#3 Post by thooruchan »

shortycake wrote:Congrats finishing the demo!
I really adore the web comic and can't wait to play this! Downloading right now!
Thank you! Hope you enjoy the game as much as the comic, and I would love to hear your opinion and some constructive critiqie from a fellow VN creator.

propanoll
Regular
Projects: Left of Center, Night at the Hospital, The Buried Moon, RA: Allegiance
Tumblr: propanoll
Deviantart: shotafied

#4 Post by propanoll »

I played the demo! The setting is really interesting, and boy the demons are charming! Sid is a lovable sweetheart while Simon is a really cool dude. They make a really nice pair! Noel... feels like a plot device/the third wheel as of now, but I'm looking forward to see his development.

Visuals-wise, the background sketches really stand out... in a bad way. Mostly due to the 'space' that's present - in some areas, they are too close for comfort, or the horizon line is too low. I know they're not final yet, but please consider making the vanishing line of the same ratio for the final build.

I really like the sprite art, though! Simon's hair is beautifully silky, and I like that *q*
Image Image

thooruchan
Regular

#5 Post by thooruchan »

propanoll wrote:I played the demo! The setting is really interesting, and boy the demons are charming! Sid is a lovable sweetheart while Simon is a really cool dude. They make a really nice pair! Noel... feels like a plot device/the third wheel as of now, but I'm looking forward to see his development.

Visuals-wise, the background sketches really stand out... in a bad way. Mostly due to the 'space' that's present - in some areas, they are too close for comfort, or the horizon line is too low. I know they're not final yet, but please consider making the vanishing line of the same ratio for the final build.

I really like the sprite art, though! Simon's hair is beautifully silky, and I like that *q*
Thanks for such good advice! I will take good note of all of this. Backgrounds are my weakness, it's pretty obvious. What do you mean exactly by "making the vanishing line the same ratio"? OwO?

propanoll
Regular
Projects: Left of Center, Night at the Hospital, The Buried Moon, RA: Allegiance
Tumblr: propanoll
Deviantart: shotafied

#6 Post by propanoll »

thooruchan wrote:
propanoll wrote:I played the demo! The setting is really interesting, and boy the demons are charming! Sid is a lovable sweetheart while Simon is a really cool dude. They make a really nice pair! Noel... feels like a plot device/the third wheel as of now, but I'm looking forward to see his development.

Thanks for such good advice! I will take good note of all of this. Backgrounds are my weakness, it's pretty obvious. What do you mean exactly by "making the vanishing line the same ratio"? OwO?
You're welcome! I.. am terribly bad at backgrounds as well, but if you study other VNs, you can see what looks nice and what doesn't! Putting the horizon line at 50% of height is generally acceptable : D

Ah, by that I mean, making the horizon line consistent in all the backgrounds. Say, if the horizon line for the bedroom is at 40% (I'm just putting arbitrary numbers here) then it should also be at 40% for the other backgrounds. The background would look more consistent then and doesn't stand out!
Image Image

thooruchan
Regular

#7 Post by thooruchan »

propanoll wrote:
thooruchan wrote:

You're welcome! I.. am terribly bad at backgrounds as well, but if you study other VNs, you can see what looks nice and what doesn't! Putting the horizon line at 50% of height is generally acceptable : D

Ah, by that I mean, making the horizon line consistent in all the backgrounds. Say, if the horizon line for the bedroom is at 40% (I'm just putting arbitrary numbers here) then it should also be at 40% for the other backgrounds. The background would look more consistent then and doesn't stand out!
Okay, thanks so much for explaining that to me. I'll make sure to keep it in mind. :)