[Code] Ren'py Text Adventure

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
DaBackpack
Tumblr: dabackpack
Github: dabackpack

[Code] Ren'py Text Adventure

#1 Post by DaBackpack »

EDIT 10/28/2017: If you want to try the game, you will need to add this font to the "game" directory: http://ufonts.com/download/terminal/90245.html .

Hi all,

I am making a text-adventure game in Ren'py (you know, like ZORK) and wanted to share my code with everyone. I have thus open-sourced my Ren'py Text Adventure "engine" (if you can call it that) to help people that might one day want to do the same thing. I personally like this instead of using an actual text adventure engine because it still gives you Ren'py functionality and lets you mix in visual/sound elements fairly easily. The process for allowing the input -> output cycle is nontrivial so I see benefit to sharing this with everyone.

(I'm actually rather new to Ren'py so I can't guarantee I took the 'best path' to accomplish the goal, but it works and there's room for flexibility depending on your specific needs)

https://github.com/DaBackpack/Ren-py-Text-Adventure

My purpose for this is twofold:
1) To release the code I used for this task to the public, and
2) Demo an actual game I am making with this code.

I hope somebody out there is able to benefit from this :D
Or, at least, enjoy the demo!

(I hope this is in the right section! My game is a demo)

Last edited by DaBackpack on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Karl_C
Veteran

Re: [Code] Ren'py Text Adventure

#2 Post by Karl_C »

Very interesting. Tanks for sharing the (very well documented) code.
DaBackpack wrote:I personally like this instead of using an actual text adventure engine because it still gives you Ren'py functionality and lets you mix in visual/sound elements fairly easily.
I guess with your engine it should be possible to code something like Code 7 with Ren'py?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

This is a nice demo. I can see this being expanded upon to make some interesting text-adventure games.

for anyone wondering, just installing this font should be all you need to get it to work:
http://ufonts.com/download/terminal/90245.html
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

DaBackpack
Tumblr: dabackpack
Github: dabackpack

#4 Post by DaBackpack »

Karl_C wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:07 pm Very interesting. Tanks for sharing the (very well documented) code.
DaBackpack wrote:I personally like this instead of using an actual text adventure engine because it still gives you Ren'py functionality and lets you mix in visual/sound elements fairly easily.
I guess with your engine it should be possible to code something like Code 7 with Ren'py?
Sorry for late response. Yep! I believe Code 7 is written in Unity, and I can make some guesses as to how they did it. It looks cool! Unity has a somewhat steep learning curve compared to Ren'py, so I hope someday somebody finds use in this project.
Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:18 am This is a nice demo. I can see this being expanded upon to make some interesting text-adventure games.

for anyone wondering, just installing this font should be all you need to get it to work:
http://ufonts.com/download/terminal/90245.html
Thanks! And thank you for posting the link. I didn't include those source files in the repository for licensing reasons. I'll update the OP with this info to make it easier.

One of these days I'll continue this project and try to make the text engine layer easier to understand for developers. Stay tuned!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

Might want to test this in the latest stable Ren'Py - you can't use it anymore (at least I can't) because commands require two or more words (look at door, etc) but as soon as you press space, renpy inputs the command and the game tells me to specify what to "look" at or such.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter