Beauty and the War [Fantasy Sim, Intrigue, Legends, GxB]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

Beauty and the War [Fantasy Sim, Intrigue, Legends, GxB]

#1 Post by Dreamgazer »

Be part of Virgo Island's community.
Harvest for food. Nurse warriors to health.
Navigate inter-clan politics with creatures of legend.
In Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces), you play as a member of the Phoenix clan, a healer of blood. Your darkly armored guardians, the clan of the Vi, have brought your enemies to your feet. Now, you live together in peace...but just for how long?

You are seen as desire, with hair as black as a raven's wing and skin as white as snow. Will one of the warriors, such as the beautiful Hulder (forest creatures of Scandinavian myth) or the savage Trold (Danish for troll), wish to claim you as their own?

Your childhood friend, one of the Imugi (lesser dragons of Korean mythology) - yes, he, too, is among the defeated and embittered. Will you try to help him and his people? Would you start a rebellion, seduce one of your protectors, or convince your dear companion to embrace his new life?

Decide Ambrosia's tale. Uncover plots, enter forbidden romances, explore the world. Get waist-deep in politics or live a life free from conflict.

Just remember that men have gone to war because of a woman.
Free. (Note: May not apply to future expansions or bonus features.)
25+ CGs. Lots of pictures with variations and animation.
2 and a 1/2 days. This demo has roughly 1-2 hours of gameplay.
Many, many choices. This is a fantasy simulation. You determine how Ambrosia spends her days and how she deals with the people around her. Every decision, no matter how small, has an impact. Pick carefully.
Big Cast. And it's set to get bigger. There are 5 bachelors and 2 hidden ones. You'll meet 6 of them in the demo.
You can refer to my Lemmasoft thread here, but I'll post it here again for ease of access:

Facebook. Liked the game? Like us!
Twitter. #xplayingpieces is how you tweet about the game.
tumblr. For sneak peeks and more…
Pinterest. Pics will go heeeere.
1❀ What were your expectations going into the game? And how did Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces) meet or contradict them?

2✿ Tell me. How did you spend your two days? There are a lot of choices, so I'm curious what you decided to do and who you tried to befriend.

3❀ What are your thoughts on the story and the characters so far? Do you have a favorite? What were you feeling during the last scene at the end of the demo?

4✿ What are you looking forward to seeing in the full version?

If you have any other comments or questions, let me know. I want to hear about all your first impressions, what you liked most, and just about anything else that springs to mind. Plus, Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces) is in open beta for a reason. As long as your heart's in the right place, don't be afraid to give me some of this:

Enjoy your stay on Virgo Island.
P.S. This may be relevant for otome/romance sim-lovers out there:
After playing the demo, want to learn more about the bachelors? Find out...rom-com style!
Expect absurdity and a barrel of laughs. In dire need of a remake, but if you're having a bad day, this should hopefully cheer you right up. :)
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arkhane
Regular

Re: Beauty and the War [Fantasy Sim, Intrigue, Legends, GxB]

#2 Post by Arkhane »

Hello DG :3

First Congrats for this demo

Here are myfirst remarks :

The title? At first, I found it strange, but since it reminds of the beauty and the beast, I admit, it suits the characters well.

I spent the two days trying a bit of everything. I like the fact that we can choose what to do. However, I'm wondering if it can have an incident and maybe we can miss something that could help us to reach the male we're pursuing.
I didn't try to befriend anyone or just a bit. Maybe i'll try to make some other runs to befriends the males
The story is a bit complicated with that many characters. However, that shows how rich is your world and I like it.
As for the characters, I know how much you love them. :P As for me, I'm not fond of Ambrosia's one. She's far too "perfect" to my liking ...

The drawings are nice, except the fact that baryum is far to red to my taste! However, I admit that the full image with his armor is not that bad in the end ;)
I'm still waiting to have time with others bachelors as you may know :3

And now the little things

Pictures :
1) I'd prefer to have a pause with a clic needed to continue the animation before arriving on the "sepia" like pictures of the clans.
I didn't have enough time to look at each pictures correctly

2) Baryum on the slide were he says : It would just be a greater loss if something were to happen to him.
=> the arm is not in the right way. The thumb should be exterior
There are other occurences later

Text :

With Thunder : And then, he shot up his hand, => this is a double with the next slide which contains more words :)

Bye bye :3

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

Re: Beauty and the War [Fantasy Sim, Intrigue, Legends, GxB]

#3 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hi, Arkhane! Thanks for playing and posting your thoughts. Hope you've been enjoying the holidays!

Ooh, I changed the title recently for that very reason. There are fairytale elements weaved throughout the narrative. Ambrosia is meant to be like those pure-hearted maidens in those tales. But I should mention that when the game starts, she is very young and naive. If you want her to change, to be less idealistic and optimistic...well, she'll have to go through hardship or associate with certain people. You can decide that in the course of the game.

As for the clan CGs, I will have a gallery in the full version, so that should give you plenty of time to look at them if you so please. :)

Whenever I'm done with the game, I'll definitely include a walkthrough, but since you are the fairest of them all, it's relatively simple to get the guy you want. Just seek him out or generally wait for him to come to you. It may actually be harder getting certain men to stay away from you...

Regarding Barium's hand gesture...

Is this better?

Oh, and with Thunder, that's actually on purpose. I was just pausing before extending the dialogue, but if that's creating confusion, I'll have to fix that.

Also, here's a small guide, which might help get you used to the clans. But when I next update the beta, I have an idea that should make it a little easier to digest.

Thanks for all your feedback, Arkhane. You're helping me know how to improve this game!