Maid Mansion [BxG] [Eroge/Dating Sim/Romance] -- DEMO

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Crazy Cactus
Regular

Maid Mansion [BxG] [Eroge/Dating Sim/Romance] -- DEMO

#1 Post by Crazy Cactus »

DOWNLOAD DEMO AT: https://maidmansion.itch.io/maid-mansion-demo
(last update 9:00AM EST -- 11.17.16)

If you have a moment, please consider pledging to Maid Mansion's Kickstarter page at: http://kck.st/2fSVMXm

Current Bug-List

LINK: http://crazycactusent.tumblr.com/
**will be updating this throughout the rest of today and during the duration of the campaign**

QUESTIONS:

Did you find any bugs? Can you screenshot it and send to me?

Do you disagree with a transition? Let us know.

Do you disagree with a facial expression? Let us know.

Any problems with buttons, navigation, or general GUI problems? Let us know.

Thank you all for your participation thus far and we hope you will pledge if you are interested (and have the monies) or if you can't, helping spreading the word would be incredibly helpful for us.

Once again, thank you all and look forward to talking more with you if you experience the demo.
Last edited by Crazy Cactus on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crazy Cactus
Regular

Re: Maid Mansion [BxG] [Eroge/Dating Sim/Romance] -- DEMO

#2 Post by Crazy Cactus »

I have pulled the demo from the itch.io page for Maid Mansion, but will leave that copy live for now, as its a requirement for posting the campaign's link in our main thread.

PLEASE NOTE: this demo does have many glitches and errors that I WILL be going over with programmer later tonight and re-uploading later tonight. He gets back at 8pm EST and works VERY fast so I am confident we will have a version much more "ironed out" by MIDNIGHT tonight, Tuesday November 15th EST.

Thank you all for your support and hope to see you at http://kck.st/2fRyFNW to help support my company's debut visual novel, Maid Mansion!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

Crazy Cactus wrote:I have pulled the demo from the itch.io page for Maid Mansion, but will leave that copy live for now, as its a requirement for posting the campaign's link in our main thread.
I think we can make an exception if you just need one more day for bugfixing. Better a flawless demo tomorrow than a buggy demo today.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#4 Post by Crazy Cactus »

Taleweaver wrote:
Crazy Cactus wrote:I have pulled the demo from the itch.io page for Maid Mansion, but will leave that copy live for now, as its a requirement for posting the campaign's link in our main thread.
I think we can make an exception if you just need one more day for bugfixing. Better a flawless demo tomorrow than a buggy demo today.
Thank you - as of right now Bonesy and I just finished up going through the demo on a "speed run" to fix major errors, bugs, glitches, etc. All in all, we went through it for a little over two hours through our mic'd chat over Skype.

I am currently waiting for them to be uploaded, then he will send me the link, and from there I will upload to Maid Mansion's itch.io page. We should meet the file size requirements this time, as Bonesy was able to compress the files a lot more this time, getting it down to the (current estimate in the 300MB range). I will update this post with link to the new demos once I have them ready.

Thank you all very much for your patience!!

P.S. There may be some songs that feel a little out of place, and thats because we are still developing the full vision and scope of Maid Mansion, and part of the Kickstarter budget will be to hire a composer who can best match our ideas for what the music for this game should feel like.

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#5 Post by Crazy Cactus »

Hey everyone, updated the link to include https://maidmansion.itch.io/maid-mansion-demo where you will find the demo for Maid Mansion.

It includes copies of the demo for Linux, Mac, and Windows.

Please let us know your thoughts of the demo or if you like what you see, consider pledging to our Kickstarter at http://kck.st/2fSVMXm (we still have plenty of the early bird tiers at $9 available) -- the $8 ones sold out after the first day.

beliar

#6 Post by beliar »

Is the demo supposed to end when you find Toritaka in the library? No "this is the end of the demo" message, just abrupt transition to the start screen.

Anyway, a few of my thoughts about the demo:
1. The most annoying thing about the demo was that the text box disappears for a moment every time some sort of transition happens, even if that is just a change of facial expressions. That was the only thing I outright hated about the demo. I can understand the text box vanishing during the scene transitions, but when two characters are speaking (like Umeko and Takako shouting at each other) the textbox shouldn't be doing a blink-blink-blink tango.
2. The text in the box appears instantaneously and there is no option for it to appear gradually. Most of the VNs have a slider in the settings that allows to regulate the text speed from very slow to immediate like it currently is.
3. I do know that H key hides the UI elements in Ren'Py, but some people who don't play many VNs might not realize that. It might be a good idea to add a button with that function. A small X in the corner of the text box would do the trick.
4. There were very few typos (I think I only saw two), but there were a few buggy instances where at first only a part of the text appears in the textbox, then the box does a characteristic blink and the rest of the text appears. The first such instance was during the introduction of Takako.
5. During the funeral scene I disliked the esthetics of Umeko sprite appearing in the centre of the screen. The funeral is the focus, thus I think the sprite should be shown on the side.
6. I wasn't so hot about the BGM, o rather the music transitions. Many of the transitions are very abrupt and jarring. The most egregious example would be when Narumi is showing the bathroom. The music suddenly falls silent and then changes into a spooky tune without any particular reason.

Anyway, the art was lovely (both the BG and the sprites) and I'm intrigued by the premise. Good luck and I hope you can pull it off.

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#7 Post by Crazy Cactus »

beliar wrote:Is the demo supposed to end when you find Toritaka in the library? No "this is the end of the demo" message, just abrupt transition to the start screen.

Anyway, a few of my thoughts about the demo:
1. The most annoying thing about the demo was that the text box disappears for a moment every time some sort of transition happens, even if that is just a change of facial expressions. That was the only thing I outright hated about the demo. I can understand the text box vanishing during the scene transitions, but when two characters are speaking (like Umeko and Takako shouting at each other) the textbox shouldn't be doing a blink-blink-blink tango.
2. The text in the box appears instantaneously and there is no option for it to appear gradually. Most of the VNs have a slider in the settings that allows to regulate the text speed from very slow to immediate like it currently is.
3. I do know that H key hides the UI elements in Ren'Py, but some people who don't play many VNs might not realize that. It might be a good idea to add a button with that function. A small X in the corner of the text box would do the trick.
4. There were very few typos (I think I only saw two), but there were a few buggy instances where at first only a part of the text appears in the textbox, then the box does a characteristic blink and the rest of the text appears. The first such instance was during the introduction of Takako.
5. During the funeral scene I disliked the esthetics of Umeko sprite appearing in the centre of the screen. The funeral is the focus, thus I think the sprite should be shown on the side.
6. I wasn't so hot about the BGM, o rather the music transitions. Many of the transitions are very abrupt and jarring. The most egregious example would be when Narumi is showing the bathroom. The music suddenly falls silent and then changes into a spooky tune without any particular reason.

Anyway, the art was lovely (both the BG and the sprites) and I'm intrigued by the premise. Good luck and I hope you can pull it off.
1 - I definitely wanted the textbox to disappear sometimes during key CG scenes because I wanted viewer to be able to see the whole CG and appreciate the detail and how nice it is, but I can see how it might've been overdone in certain parts, so that is definitely something we can look into.
2 - Will have to investigate this for sure. Honestly with so many other things having to double check this one escaped me and will have to check with Bonesy about it.
3 - Yeah, the "X" thing might be a good idea to add to the GUI since the 'H' key isn't the most commonly known thing out there.
4 - I honestly thought we had fixed this during our second all-nighter doing quality checks so that's something to look into.
5 - I'll see how it looks since this one seems more of a personal thing. Just based on my experience its best to have them in center of screen when only one person is talking. Stylistically and aesthetically speaking for the sake of the funeral, I see what you mean.
6 - One of the reasons I'm asking for a decent sized budget for music is because I'd like to go back to original piano/orchestra composer and get plenty more tracks to fit the scenes of the story better. Unfortunately, this is something I can't fix until I have funds to get the best possible music I can for Maid Mansion, and for that I'll need people's help.

Overall, I just want to say thank you for writing out these comments and concerns. I'm making a list of yours and another person's from Fuwanovel who had some good points (him moreso on the writing itself) and its all going to make Maid Mansion as great as it possibly can be. If you have any interest in being a proofreader (for alpha/beta versions), let me know. I think it would be beneficial to have a small team on the side that goes through and looks for things that might be out of place or brought up for discussion to be altered.

P.S. Glad you liked the BGs and the sprites (hopefully the CGs as well). I've been fortunate to work with a lot of great people so far! We're up to 50% funding in three days so I guess the hard work is paying off!