Watching Time [G/B x G/B] [Time Travel] [Demo]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
EJ107
Projects: Watching Time

Watching Time [G/B x G/B] [Time Travel] [Demo]

#1 Post by EJ107 »

In Watching Time time travel is more than just a plot device, it is a core gameplay mechanic. Once you pass a certain point in the games opening you can reverse time at will, using your knowledge of the future to alter your previous decisions, or even open up entirely new ones. Rating: T

Download

Progress Thread: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=38177

I'm really happy to finally release the demo for my visual novel, Watching Time! The demo covers roughly the first third of the story, and ends on one of six major branches. There are a lot of variations of scenes you can only obtain through clever use of the time travel mechanic or specific dialogue options, and I'm really interested in seeing how many people can find.

The game itself is fairly polished, but overall it is still very much a work in progress, particularly the UI and menus. This is my first time releasing something I have created using Ren'py, so let me know if there are any issues with the game or the build and I will address it as quickly as I can.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to leave it here, or in the progress thread linked above.

Like my Avatar? Check out: https://www.patreon.com/lackadaisy?ty=h

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Watching Time [G/B x G/B] [Time Travel] [Demo]

#2 Post by philip »

@EJ107-

Wow! I can't believe that it has been week since this was posted and no one has made a comment! I downloaded the story this morning and have just gotten a chance to get back to it. I have just begun to play through, and still have a lot of exploring to do, but my initial thought is that I am favorably impressed. The story is very interesting and the backgrounds are wonderful. There are lots and lots of choices to make, and I will be back with some further comments after I have fully explored the demo and discovered what effect the various decisions have on the progress of the story.

Great job so far!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

rainbowolfe
Organization: SpaceTime Studios
Tumblr: rainbowolfe
Deviantart: rainbowolfe1

#3 Post by rainbowolfe »

Soo, I just did a quick play through of it and I had a good time uwu The decision at the end lightweight stressed me out though

Overall, this is really great! It's got any interesting story, amazing backgrounds, interesting characters, catchy music, and uses sound effects well~ I thought the subtle way of getting the players name and gender were really creative (though a they option would be nice -3-). There were also a lot of decisions to make! I don't even see that in a lot of finished games these days, and I made like 10 decisions in the demo alone.

I think my only critique is that there are like two songs/noises that don't loop very well. The music that starts after you open the watch (which starts at the perfect time tbh) suddenly stops at the end, and I thought it was pausing for dramatic effect. It was very jarring when it started back up again. And then the other thing is the tick-tock noises during a dream like... skip a tick? It was weird.

And that's it! It really is a wonderful visual novel so far with an exciting premise~ It uses it's time travel aspect well.

EJ107
Projects: Watching Time

#4 Post by EJ107 »

philip wrote:@EJ107-

Wow! I can't believe that it has been week since this was posted and no one has made a comment! I downloaded the story this morning and have just gotten a chance to get back to it. I have just begun to play through, and still have a lot of exploring to do, but my initial thought is that I am favorably impressed. The story is very interesting and the backgrounds are wonderful. There are lots and lots of choices to make, and I will be back with some further comments after I have fully explored the demo and discovered what effect the various decisions have on the progress of the story.

Great job so far!

philip
Thanks for taking the time to look at the game! I'd really like to hear what you make of the full demo, should you get around to completing it.
rainbowolfe wrote:Soo, I just did a quick play through of it and I had a good time uwu The decision at the end lightweight stressed me out though

Overall, this is really great! It's got any interesting story, amazing backgrounds, interesting characters, catchy music, and uses sound effects well~ I thought the subtle way of getting the players name and gender were really creative (though a they option would be nice -3-). There were also a lot of decisions to make! I don't even see that in a lot of finished games these days, and I made like 10 decisions in the demo alone.

I think my only critique is that there are like two songs/noises that don't loop very well. The music that starts after you open the watch (which starts at the perfect time tbh) suddenly stops at the end, and I thought it was pausing for dramatic effect. It was very jarring when it started back up again. And then the other thing is the tick-tock noises during a dream like... skip a tick? It was weird.

And that's it! It really is a wonderful visual novel so far with an exciting premise~ It uses it's time travel aspect well.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'll definitely look into those two tracks: The first one is a stock piece that might work better without looping, and the second is a looped sound effect. that I agree doesn't sound quite right.

I can't take credit for the fantastic backgrounds and music, those are the work of Dao and Noyemi K. Both of them are available for hire here on the forums, so you should check out their other work!

I tried to make the player character more user-defined than usual, hence the high number of choices. Admittedly a lot of them are mainly for character building and only change the subsequent few lines of dialogue, but the game does keep track of how you treat the different characters. For example, if you are consistently rude to Zak in the demo you get a completely different scene when you speak to him near the end, that can result in him leaving the game permanently. I plan to add more situations like this in the full version, but the script branching out of control is a concern. The ending scene already has at least six different variations!
Like my Avatar? Check out: https://www.patreon.com/lackadaisy?ty=h

nekobara
Regular

#5 Post by nekobara »

Hello.~ I've just finished your demo. Well, sort of. I played through it twice with some skipping involved. Overall, I liked it okay, I suppose. Although the art style of the character sprites wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I have to admit that it worked well. As for something I have to gush about, I thoroughly enjoyed the background music. I think it certainly creates the right atmosphere, and I really did find myself being drawn in by it. One complaint that I do have, however, is that the characters seem a bit plain. It isn't a major issue, I don't think, but well, I'm big on personality.
Oh, but I should say that the woman in blue did interest me. As she appears to be a mysterious villain, of course she caught my attention.
Mystery and villainy are both quite intriguing.~

But if I'm being really, really honest, I'm not that interested in playing the full game. The music was probably my favorite part and the lack of personality in the characters is a definite deal-breaker for me. I'm sure there are others who it would work for, but just not for me. Sorry. Good luck!~
*meow*

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

#6 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

This looks awesome! Will definitely check it out and get back to yah.