Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Thriller, Demo] FULL GAME OUT!

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
sf2000

Re: Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Thriller, Demo] QA has begun

#31 Post by sf2000 »

1. Playability/Interest: How does your 1st impression of LMA (before playing demo) compare to how you felt after completing it?

I can tell you that my interest is only lukewarm and I give this a testrun because I look at pretty much every western styled gay interest game out there - yes, all three of them.

2. Writing/Story: Enjoyed pace of dialog in relation to the story or did you find story developments happening too quickly?

I'm not entirely thrilled by the ongoing jumps between different narration styles and perspectives. It's hard to maintain focus between dialogue sequences, character exposition, Adam talking about his feelings, Adam describing the scenery, a 3rd person narrator taking over, followed by sudden dialogue, flashbacks, and backgrounds that don't always reflect what according to the text is happening all the time.

Take the door at the beginning. We suddenly are guided by a narrator out of that room on a stairway, everyone vanishes, and we are still standing in front of the closed door. I guess you haven't finished the backgrounds yet, but the introduction scene of the participants also talks about everyone sitting down just to have everyone standing or even just gone one second later.

Well, others have said that endings are a bitch, but beginnings are also hard. I could see the further I got into the story that whoever wrote it gets a better grasp on the pacing and timing, but again: The perspective is all over the place. Another example: I immediately wasn't a fan of judging the looks and fuckability of everyone. Am I playing Adam or am I just watching from his perspective while listenning to him bragging about himself?

Well, if I am playing him, I get to decide who to swoon over. And your art is already doing a good job to help me with that process. Decide the role and the influence of the player in this game before you continue. And don't dump character exposition all over the place long before we get to care about the people and can figure stuff out ourselves. That is half of the fun, especially when you are solving a mystery. And that way we can still be wrong about it, which is the other half of the fun.

So...If you want a true grandmaster of nitpicking betatesting your game, I can totally do that. I obviously won't be able to spellcheck even though I can tell that someone should.

So let me end on a positive note: Thumbs up for the overall artstyle, the menus and design. I've messed around long enough with renpy to see that a lot of work went into it. And sexual content is always welcome, as long as it doesn't get mixed up with the violent and bloody content.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#32 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi there sf2000!
I can tell you that my interest is only lukewarm and I give this a testrun because I look at pretty much every western styled gay interest game out there - yes, all three of them.
Aw come on there's gotta be more than 3! lol. Super Health Club, Coming Out On Top, Let's MEAT Adam...hmm...wait a minute. jk. I'm sure you can name more, and if so lemme know! I'm always up to check out more western styled gay interest games.
I'm not entirely thrilled by the ongoing jumps between different narration styles and perspectives. It's hard to maintain focus between dialogue sequences, character exposition, Adam talking about his feelings, Adam describing the scenery, a 3rd person narrator taking over, followed by sudden dialogue, flashbacks, and backgrounds that don't always reflect what according to the text is happening all the time.
Honestly I did have a difficult time reconciling alot of this perspective/narrative stuff. I addressed it in a previous post by Kijiri I believe? I'm sure this doesnt address all of your concerns however it does explain a few of them. (I shall now proceed to quote myself):
Ok, so I totally know what you mean. I had a huge problem with this too. Originally I had wanted it to only be Adam's internal dialog narrating things. However, he's...well he's not that "smart" or literary sounding. And so it was weird for him to be able to narrate and pick up nuances and describe them with a flourish. On the other hand, only a strict narrator would prevent you from hearing Adam's internal dialog and thus you wouldn't get to know him as a character better. Adam thinks a lot of things he would never say. He is abit of a narcissist, but smart enough not to say out loud all the shallow things he might believe. He's not a BAD guy, just clueless. I'm really unsure how to reconcile this problem.
That being said, I know you were questioning whether you were supposed to be playing as Adam or just watching him and that I should decide his role. Honestly I don't want to. I think that's up to the player. I believe most players will come in thinking they are playing as Adam, but as they continue playing I think people will be quite surprised at their relationship with him. Others have voiced distaste in the way Adam thinks/speaks, that he's not a truly likable protag...but he isn't written to be entirely likable. It's not a cop-out, however I can't explain why without spoilers.

If you want the lowdown:
Your relationship is neither of those things. You aren't Adam but you aren't just an observer. I think a good player would take an active role as his guide and show him the path AWAY from ruin.
Tbh the perspective/narrative issues is hard for me to fix and would probably be improbable at this point in dev :( and I would be sorry to lose you as a player of LMA. But if your interest is only lukewarm and the above issues too aggravating (also since you state sexual content mixed with bloody content isn't your thing) then I say don't play the game.

However if you could see yourself somehow working past it's technical flaws, play the game all the way through, you'll not walk away disappointed. :mrgreen: And I can assure you the sexual violence isn't too graphic imo, but that of course is subjective.

Anyways thank you for the kind positive note at the end regarding the visuals! I am 1st and foremost an artist, one who want's to somehow tell stories through VN's and your constructive feedback is really appreciated. Thanks again! :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

sf2000

#33 Post by sf2000 »

illuminate001 wrote:Hi there sf2000!
(...)
Ok. I came back right now because I was feeling bad about my post, but you took it rather well. In my defense, I was tired and being tired does really impair my ability to sugarcoat things. Also, I forget important details.

So let me give you some extra credit for including a redhead daddy hunk into the game. There are not enough of those in the virtual worlds out there. And today I dutifully continued my Meating with Adam, and just like I said, beginnings are a bitch. You could almost see the collection of stereotyped cardboard characters (I'm glad I didn't write that down yesterday) come to life, stretch their limbs and start to walk around, getting a will of their own and therefore a better dynamic between them.

To follow up on my rambling about perspectives and narration, here's the tl;dr: Choose one and only one. It's kind of the first rule of storytelling - choose the perspective, the voice and the time. Who is telling the story, how much does he know (can he read minds, does he know what everyone feels), and does he narrate as he goes along or has he already been through the whole thing.

I totally agree that Adam might be the wrong choice. But choose you must. Or nitpicking unthankful comments forever will dominate your destiny. And this thread. Yes, yes.

As laid out here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narration

And yeah, it will be a shitload of work, so probably tell your story first. I'm really good at perfecting the first three chapters of a story and that's why I never get to finish one.

Ok, one last nitpick, and then I'm off again, watching
Thor getting all wet. You know, this one could be improved by at least some people in the group remaing cool and being absolutely certain that it's only a scare. Turning them all into scream queens at once is one thing, but from their point of view they are customers in a public place that has the sole purpose to scare them. There should at least be a Pierce or a Kang who won't even believe what's going on even when Lars already made his "escape"(...). You can have Lucky or one of the other more sensitive guys become nervous, but the real breakdown and hysteria should be reserved to the guys who thought it was just for show. And that would keep the reader in suspense as well. Is this really happening or not?

Wait, what....you kill off Thor and *now* we are getting to the orgy? That is just wrong ;)
:

Oh right, the nitpick:
A shot of vodka (30 grams) has 15 grams of water (zero calories) and 15 grams of alcohol (105 calories).
Edit: Didn't realize the demo was over 3 minutes later. Ok, despite everything I said, I would like to see how this plays out. And I just saw that you already have all the playtesters you need, so good luck with the further development and I'll keep an eye on this one.

HyouVizer
Tumblr: hyouvizer
itch: hyou-vizer

#34 Post by HyouVizer »

1. Playability/Interest: How does your 1st impression of LMA (before playing demo) compare to how you felt after completing it?
Instantly wanted to play it, love bara games, visual novels, and murder mysteries but a game that has all three just wow. After playing it I wanted more....

2. Writing/Story: Enjoyed pace of dialog in relation to the story or did you find story developments happening too quickly?
The pacing of the demo is good but I felt the characters mentioning their a bit of their backstories seemed a bit forced. I'd rather have it happen naturally over time from getting to know them and various foreshadowings.

3. Predictability: Where do you think this story is going?
Honestly no clue......

4. Playability/Interest: Does the explicit sexual content turn you off from experiencing this VN?
Not at all, just as long as the sex scenes feel natural and aren't random just for the sake of it.

5. Predictability: Do you think the killer is blatantly obvious? Who do you think it is?
I think Lucky is an accomplice, he noticed the Masked Goat "murder" first and also handed Steve his card....and Steve refuses to show it to anybody, Lucky most likely blackmailed or threaten Steve with the info on it.
6. Do you have a favorite guy so far and why so?
Barton, no doubt. I like his serious demeanor and I have a thing for blue eyes and ginger muscle daddies.
Was absolutely thrilled he was "BOTTOM" hehe.

illuminate001
Veteran

#35 Post by illuminate001 »

HyouVizer wrote:1. Playability/Interest: How does your 1st impression of LMA (before playing demo) compare to how you felt after completing it?
Instantly wanted to play it, love bara games, visual novels, and murder mysteries but a game that has all three just wow. After playing it I wanted more....

The pacing of the demo is good but I felt the characters mentioning their a bit of their backstories seemed a bit forced. I'd rather have it happen naturally over time from getting to know them and various foreshadowings.

3. Predictability: Where do you think this story is going?
Honestly no clue......

4. Playability/Interest: Does the explicit sexual content turn you off from experiencing this VN?
Not at all, just as long as the sex scenes feel natural and aren't random just for the sake of it.

5. Predictability: Do you think the killer is blatantly obvious? Who do you think it is?
I think Lucky is an accomplice, he noticed the Masked Goat "murder" first and also handed Steve his card....and Steve refuses to show it to anybody, Lucky most likely blackmailed or threaten Steve with the info on it.
6. Do you have a favorite guy so far and why so?
Barton, no doubt. I like his serious demeanor and I have a thing for blue eyes and ginger muscle daddies.
Was absolutely thrilled he was "BOTTOM" hehe.
Hi, HyouVizer! Welcome to LSF! I'm so glad to see you here from the itch comments page. :D

Yeah, I tried very hard to make sure that character backstories, as well as sexual scenes, didn't seem forced and came about in a natural manner. Of course, that's always subjective but I think I managed. I learned a lot producing this latest VN, from my QA team! They, of course, were seasoned VN (particularly BxB) players and so it was such a great experience learning more about even grammar, pacing, exposition and narration from them. Actually from even other posters who felt moved enough to land on this humble thread and have their voice heard.

Ooh! Interesting! You are the only person other than my brother who has thought Lucky could be part of the villain's plot. He;'s the most unassuming character though, so it's purely his actions that make you suspect him?

OMG everyone loves Bart. lol. For me, Lars is #1 and then Bart. But I have a thing for blonds. =p

PS. The wallpaper for your itch creator page is amazing btw! <3 Extracurricular Activities was such a fun and good VN.
Last edited by illuminate001 on Mon May 01, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

Re: Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Thriller, Demo] FULL GAME OU

#36 Post by illuminate001 »

We're back with another Summer Visual Novel! (Actually, LMA is anything but summery) But seriously, this May.1st 2017 I'm happy to announce that the full version of "Let's MEAT Adam" is out and available for purchase on the Soulsoft Electronic Arts Itch page for $7! Yay for releases!

Thank you to all our supporters who have not only given encouragement but also helped spread the word and provided invaluable feedback. It means the world to me. I realize that this game may be polarizing but I hope you enjoy the passion and craft that went into making it a reality. Once again, thank you!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#37 Post by Scribbles »

ah, I'll try to scratch out some time to play this eventually > < congrat's on getting it finished!
Image - Image -Image

illuminate001
Veteran

#38 Post by illuminate001 »

Scribbles wrote:ah, I'll try to scratch out some time to play this eventually > < congrat's on getting it finished!
Aww hey Scribbs! Thank you! It's been a long hard few months but it was worth it. You know how finishing a VN feels bittersweet, like an end of an era kinda thing lol? Well NOT this time haha...all I feel is happy that it's done and not just cause it was consuming my life. :lol:

How's Pinewood coming along!? I know you have a team and all but it still must be alot of work especially with the 20+ endings. But I do hope you get to give LMA a go soonish (Think of it as a distraction from work for abit heh). Anyways I have a question but I'll post the comment under your thread. Cheers! :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#39 Post by Scribbles »

illuminate001 wrote:
Scribbles wrote:ah, I'll try to scratch out some time to play this eventually > < congrat's on getting it finished!
Aww hey Scribbs! Thank you! It's been a long hard few months but it was worth it. You know how finishing a VN feels bittersweet, like an end of an era kinda thing lol? Well NOT this time haha...all I feel is happy that it's done and not just cause it was consuming my life. :lol:

How's Pinewood coming along!? I know you have a team and all but it still must be alot of work especially with the 20+ endings. But I do hope you get to give LMA a go soonish (Think of it as a distraction from work for abit heh). Anyways I have a question but I'll post the comment under your thread. Cheers! :)
I will likely know how that feels, eventually lol I will try to play it soon! It is a lot of work, but it's coming along, thanks ^ ^
Image - Image -Image

FelixJr

#40 Post by FelixJr »

I need help with the light room. :(

abubu1991

#41 Post by abubu1991 »

FelixJr wrote:I need help with the light room. :(
Check the other Let's MEAT Adam post for some information on the Light/Color Room: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43816. As far as I see it, only part of the Light Room has been solved but not the final puzzle.

Hopefully someone will let us know if they figure it out.

illuminate001
Veteran

#42 Post by illuminate001 »

Never fear a Mac version is here!

Because of the many requests (and with the help of the BxB-playing, mac user community) I've been able to finally release a demo and complete version of Let's MEAT Adam! Now a whole other group of lambs can enter the hallowed rooms of Escape Mansion WeHo.

Let's MEAT Adam is a Bara, BxB visual novel set (as eloquently stated by a reviewer) in a neon NIGHTMARE of an escape room turned death game. Muscles, Blood, Escape, Trust, Betray, MEAT.

https://soulsoftea.itch.io/lets-meat-adam
ImageImage
ImageImage