Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Thriller, Demo] FULL GAME OUT!

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Re: Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Murder Mystery, Thriller]

#16 Post by illuminate001 »

@Parsonova - oops almost forgot! I would be happy to have you help test LMA out! In fact, you'll be rounding up the QA needs as the final tester! I'll send you a PM with more details asap.

I've updated this thread to denote that the testers spots are now all full. (thanks to you ^3^ )
ImageImage
ImageImage

RusticLens

#17 Post by RusticLens »

I'm very disappointed....in the fact I can't be a tester for this game. I loved every second. I agree it dragged a little but I liked it anyways. Had fun solving the puzzle. It's a very good looking game and I have to say, I don't like Lucky at all. I hope he serves some purpose in the future because he seems useless, all he's done is freak out.

1. Playability/Interest: How does your 1st impression of LMA (before playing demo) compare to how you felt after completing it?

Definitely didn't think I'd be interested in the game as much as I am now. I'm very much interested in working QA for this game if possible. I love the story and would love for my input to be taken into account :D

2. Writing/Story: Enjoyed pace of dialog in relation to the story or did you find story developments happening too quickly?

Nothing happened too fast. My only one thing is that if I was in the room with Lars "drowning" my first thought would be to think that Lars was paid to act to make it scarier. All of the characters immediately thought it was a real murder going on.

3. Predictability: Where do you think this story is going?

I assume we'll get more rooms with puzzles with possibly more people dying (not going to lie, I wouldn't be opposed to killing Lucky)

4. Playability/Interest: Does the explicit sexual content turn you off from experiencing this VN?

It's the reason why I played it in the first place. Do not remove it. In my homosexual opinion, it added to it. If you want, you could sell a censored version, as the one sex scene in the demo didn't matter too much. I don't know what you have in store for the future sex scenes but yeah.

5. Predictability: Do you think the killer is blatantly obvious? Who do you think it is?

I mean apart from the obvious Lars is alive and is the killer, no clue.

My favorites are Bart, Pierce and Adam. I like that they're not mary sues as a lot of BL games usually do.

Anyways, if you ever need another tester, hmu.

darknessminotaur

#18 Post by darknessminotaur »

I just played the demo and I loved it :D! I'll give you a bit of details of my opinion about it too

1. Playability/Interest: I have played a lot of bara eroge/visual novels so I expected it to have sex on it but also to have a mix with an intriguing and twisted story, maybe I expected a bit more of "sex scenes" but it's good as it is for now since its just the first part and it would seem a bit forced otherwise.
Also it was a bit weird that there was a scene with mosaic, I tried to search an option for turning censoring off but it seems its not there yet.
2. Writing/Story:
The first part of the story was a bit too slow, but once the game started it was awesome and felt just great :D This is a personal opinion: I kind of had a hard time to put myself in the shoes of Adam at first, I felt like he is a character of his own and I was confused if that was my character or there was another for me to put the choices in. (I came from playing mainly Persona games so the protagonist is kinda silent on those and the choices are almost completely up to the player to be mean or kind etc)
I think the killer might be Lars, other than that could be anything! I'd like to know more of all the character's backstories too
4. Playability/Interest: I think its not necessary to add sex scenes but I think it's a great plus for me instead of a turn off. If there's an option to turn on/off the scenes it would be perfect I think. The lock puzzle was a bit hard for me thou I had to check for the answer here lol xD

5. Predictability: Do you think the killer is blatantly obvious? Who do you think it is?
Lars or someone we don't know yet!
6. Do you have a favorite guy so far and why so?
Personality-wise I like Lucky, Vince seems like a guy with few words but a very kind heart, kang is very funny!
Body-wise i find Bart very hot!
And I totally dislike Pierce xD But he is in fact very well written to make me feel like that for him.

Anyway, I played your first game Dream saviour gakuen years ago and has been a great inspiration for me! I'm really happy to see a new game from you :D I love it so far! I'm eager to play the full game.

parsonova

#19 Post by parsonova »

@illuminate001
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been checking it out and I like it. :D
Happy to help in any way I can!

And don't worry about the Earl thing, I figured it was intentional. I just felt I had to bring it up on the off chance it wasn't. But it's all good, I don't expect to like or agree with every thing a character say/do and I really don't expect you would either. It's going to be interesting to see if it will be brought up further in Earl's storyline. Not that it needs to.

illuminate001
Veteran

#20 Post by illuminate001 »

@Dusksnare - Ahh here we are. That's better. ^_^
I would definitely play it again, though throughout playing the game I felt an odd disconnect from the reader and the main character. The main character felt less relatable, kind of stuck-up/self involved. Though, I assume that's the way the character was written and made. One thing that left a foul taste in my mouth was in the beginning when Adam said "He's cute, for an asian". Though again, that could just be the character arc.
I love Pokemon and Persona and games that have a silent protagonist or a blank slate mc. Adam is definitely neither of those. He has his own views and attitude and while he is his own person, I hope you see him become more relatable as the story progresses. Also please make choices based on what YOU would do and not what you think Adam would. :wink: Also I agree that what Adam said in ref to Earl is off-putting, but that was 100% intentional. I explained it a few posts above. :)
He seems to be the nicest of the group, actually seems to have more empathy for others. Also he wants to make video games, 10/10.
Actually Lucky is already working in the game industry although he doesn't specify what role. I believe he's mentioned being a Game Designer (I could be wrong).
Edit: Forgot to mention I like your music choices!
Heh thanks! I'm trying to keep it cohesive. I'm trying to keep it along the Darkwave, NewWave Retro, Synthwave style.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@RusticLens - Another new LSF member! Awesome! It's rad to see LMA bringing more people to our humble corner. :P
I'm very disappointed....in the fact I can't be a tester for this game. I loved every second. I agree it dragged a little but I liked it anyways. Had fun solving the puzzle. It's a very good looking game and I have to say, I don't like Lucky at all. I hope he serves some purpose in the future because he seems useless, all he's done is freak out.
Yeah unfortunately I have all the QA help I need atm however, if someone falls through I will definitely hit you up! Aw you didn't like Lucky huh? B-but he's so sweet! lol jk. Actually I hadn't heard of anyone not liking him until now. Although I can see how he is alittle...well, not helpful. He does cry alot but as the story progresses he does change.
My only one thing is that if I was in the room with Lars "drowning" my first thought would be to think that Lars was paid to act to make it scarier. All of the characters immediately thought it was a real murder going on.
You know, you're the only person so far who caught onto that. I was actually really worried about this too. I was trying to figure whether drawing out the scene by showing ppl weren't buying it at first, would be boring or try to escalate quickly and attempt for the group to realize it's not a game in a believable way. Hm, I'm unsure how to remedy this one...
My favorites are Bart, Pierce and Adam. I like that they're not mary sues as a lot of BL games usually do.
I wanted to make sure the cast was original but still felt familiar while avoiding those BL troupes. I think if it fits the character then fine they can totally be "mary sues", I think that's fantastic! :) But I felt like the cast of LMA deserved to be fleshed out more than that. They came into their own and so they are what they are.
Last edited by illuminate001 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#21 Post by illuminate001 »

@ Darknessminotaur - Welcome DM! :D Yeah we discussed censorship as part of the previous WIP Let's MEAT Adam thread and I won't be adding a censor filter. If you read some of the previous posts even in this thread, I *think* I may mention why not again. Anyways there is sex but it's definitely not the focus of LMA, unlike games such as SuperHealthClub (dont get me wrong...I LOVE SHC haha...the artist was someone I used to talk to alot back in the day). That game is hot.
Personality-wise I like Lucky, Vince seems like a guy with few words but a very kind heart, kang is very funny!
Body-wise i find Bart very hot!
And I totally dislike Pierce xD But he is in fact very well written to make me feel like that for him.
I have to say, it seems Bart is the most popular cast member so far! I think everyone who has posted has either mentioned liking his personality, appearance or both. I must say Bart is extremely attractive to me, but my almost fiancé was ginger and so I could be biased. lol :wink:
Anyway, I played your first game Dream saviour gakuen years ago and has been a great inspiration for me! I'm really happy to see a new game from you :D I love it so far! I'm eager to play the full game.
Aww, thank you! I know Dream Savior Gakuen is very different from LMA, but I think LMA has that same passion I had for DSG which made it so special to me. And I think my love for the project touched others, and they ended up feeling my project too. <3
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Murder Mystery, Thriller] De

#22 Post by Hijiri »

I'm back! And I'm glad to see you have a demo this time. Played through it so i guess I can answer your questions again.
1. Playability/Interest: How does your 1st impression of LMA (before playing demo) compare to how you felt after completing it?
Like I said before, I was interested before by the concept, and now after playing it I'm definitely up for more.
2. Writing/Story: Enjoyed pace of dialog in relation to the story or did you find story developments happening too quickly?
My biggest nitpick is about the narration. Either keep it in Adam's POV (in which case you can remove the label about it being his thoughts) or turn most of his thoughts into plain 3rd person narration. It'd also help with reading since the font you chose isn't very good with italics.
Already gave my ideas earlier in the last thread, but the fact that it's actively discussed in-story makes me question it. Though I imagine that this version of the WeHo Escape might be a hijacked game, seeing that if Kang is telling the truth, then the games before were much cleaner.
4. Playability/Interest: Does the explicit sexual content turn you off from experiencing this VN?
I'm more disappointed at the censored CG :T
If we're in a Danganronpa inspired story, Lars will be the mastermind. If we're in a 999 one, then Kang seems likely seeing as he's been through the game before. Otherwise, Steve and Earl are the most suspicious going by their actions, ESPECIALLY Steve when it came to the cards.
All of them have their charms, but Lucky is best bro tier while Bart is the kind of guy I'd be all over. Adam, however, is certainly not the most charming protagonist I've met. This makes things interesting because it feels like we now have the choice of making him dig his own grave, or perhaps humble our dear narcissistic protagonist.

And here's a few complaints from the demo:
(Stuff marked with * are just personal ones. Nothing major)
-Hopefully you guys will change the default menu style for the save/load screen and the options. They're not bad, per se. But their quality is certainly less than your assets.
-For the textbox, maybe move the text closer to the center to make reading easier. Not a lot towards the center, but just enough for it to be not so close to the edge of the screen.
-The first scene at the beginning is dreadfully quiet. Not even the kind of quiet thats suspenseful, the kind that feels like your forgot the BGM. Adding some ambient sound helps and keeps the game from being too quiet at the start.
*The art. It is kind of jarring to go from the higher quality sprites to the more mainstream artstyle of the CG's. Not that its bad, per se. It's just odd. Normally this would be in reverse with the sprites having simpler shading and lineart while the CGs are more decorative.
*Use the Move command more to make room for scharacters. There are some scenes you use it and others where you just use a dissolve.
-A few more expressions for anyone that isn't Lucky some scenes will help (like during the scene where Bart is seemingly mocking the others. His gruff look doesn't really get that idea across) Unless there's some meta stuff about this demo being akin to a line reading practice.
*There's a few parts where I felt the wording was weird. Like it was less dialogue an more like a laundry list. An example is Adam's "I just moved here from New York..." line. It's technically correct, but it's too mechanical. SOmething like "Besides, I just moved here from New York City like 6 or 7 months ago." would be better.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

illuminate001
Veteran

#23 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Hijiri. Yes, you're back! :mrgreen: First off, I think we have BxB tastes that both run very similarly. So I'm glad the demo made you up for more. Yay! Also, because you're so familiar with our genres I appreciate the constructive feedback!
My biggest nitpick is about the narration. Either keep it in Adam's POV (in which case you can remove the label about it being his thoughts) or turn most of his thoughts into plain 3rd person narration. It'd also help with reading since the font you chose isn't very good with italics.
Ok, so I totally know what you mean. I had a huge problem with this too. Originally I had wanted it to only be Adam's internal dialog narrating things. However, he's...well he's not that "smart" or literary sounding. And so it was weird for him to be able to narrate and pick up nuances and describe them with a flourish. On the other hand, only a strict narrator would prevent you from hearing Adam's internal dialog and thus you wouldn't get to know him as a character better. Adam thinks a lot of things he would never say. He is abit of a narcissist, but smart enough not to say out loud all the shallow things he might believe. He's not a BAD guy, just clueless. I'm really unsure how to reconcile this problem.
All of them have their charms, but Lucky is best bro tier while Bart is the kind of guy I'd be all over. Adam, however, is certainly not the most charming protagonist I've met. This makes things interesting because it feels like we now have the choice of making him dig his own grave, or perhaps humble our dear narcissistic protagonist.
Yeah you've definitely played Danganronpa and 999 :D I can sense you already started aligning yourself with certain guys and really analyzing the events for clues to the killer. I didn't get to play Danganronpa (although I half watched my cousin play it) but I did play 999 (which is definitely an influence! God that game was life changing) and I totally was aligning myself and surrounding myself with people I trusted and distancing myself from others. Then getting paranoid everyone was out to abandon me! LMAO

Also, I like the way you think about Adam digging his own grave VS humbling him. Obviously, he's being targeted for some reason (hence the title) but WHY? I can't say more, but I think you may be picking up on something that runs beneath the surface. :wink:
And here's a few complaints from the demo:
(Stuff marked with * are just personal ones. Nothing major)
-Hopefully you guys will change the default menu style for the save/load screen and the options. They're not bad, per se. But their quality is certainly less than your assets.
-For the textbox, maybe move the text closer to the center to make reading easier. Not a lot towards the center, but just enough for it to be not so close to the edge of the screen.
-The first scene at the beginning is dreadfully quiet. Not even the kind of quiet thats suspenseful, the kind that feels like your forgot the BGM. Adding some ambient sound helps and keeps the game from being too quiet at the start.
*The art. It is kind of jarring to go from the higher quality sprites to the more mainstream artstyle of the CG's. Not that its bad, per se. It's just odd. Normally this would be in reverse with the sprites having simpler shading and lineart while the CGs are more decorative.
*Use the Move command more to make room for characters. There are some scenes you use it and others where you just use a dissolve.
-A few more expressions for anyone that isn't Lucky some scenes will help (like during the scene where Bart is seemingly mocking the others. His gruff look doesn't really get that idea across) Unless there's some meta stuff about this demo being akin to a line reading practice.
*There's a few parts where I felt the wording was weird. Like it was less dialogue an more like a laundry list. An example is Adam's "I just moved here from New York..." line. It's technically correct, but it's too mechanical. SOmething like "Besides, I just moved here from New York City like 6 or 7 months ago." would be better.
- I dunno if I'll be able to fix the save/load screen stuff. Not without delaying the games release substantially. It was really hard to even get it to that point. lol. Sorry! I admit I'm not great at this scripting stuff. :oops:
- I can definitely move the text in the textbox. Great suggestion!
- Oh you found it really quiet? There actually is an ambient sound. It's a low-fi rumble that kinda sounds like if you were in a submarine or underwater. Do you perhaps play with your music turned too low? I play VN's with my music up, so I could hear it. I could certainly try to find something less subtle.
- Ah yes the CG's. Ok so tbh it was a choice I made considering time VS value. I started with the sprites and LOVED how they turned out all painterly. Then I realized after if I painted all the CG's, LMA would never come out and I'd burn out. I thought "Crap! Now what?". For me, painting takes 100x longer than lineart with cellshading. Games like SuperHealthClub did a good job of establishing a style that is easy enough to do for both the sprites AND the CG's. I think next time, that's what I'll do.
- Ooh! if you have examples of where I could fix the mechanical/unnatural sounding dialog, you could PM me and I'll fix them right away. You don't need to but if you do, thank you. :P
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#24 Post by Hijiri »

Glad I can be of help!
I'm really unsure how to reconcile this problem.
An idea would be to color Adam's thoughts in a different color so that it stands out from the regular narration. That way you only have to add Adam's label once so we associate that colored text with his thoughts and be able to use regular narration as well. Best of both worlds, I say.
Yeah you've definitely played Danganronpa and 999
As well as Umineko and Higurashi, which weren't straightforward mysteries. Helps with coming up with theories since Ryu's ruse cruises are on a whole other level. Going by what you said, excuse me while I theorize out loud:
-The person targeting Adam clearly has a bad past with him.
-Said villain also put Adam in a position of power, possibly due to the fact that the villain either thinks or knows that Adam will make bad decisions. Probably the perfect place where Adam's power can be shown is in "even" scenarios (ie. A bottom dies after the first room, leaving things 3 Top/3 Bottoms/1 Verse). Only way Adam continues is that he takes either a top or a bottom's position or stay behind. No offense, but a narcissist such as him doesn't come off as altruistic enough to sacrifice himself. That means that he decides the life of one of the others based on his choice.
-Continuing from the above, this means Adam can also chose to keep one other person alive to the end because he can cover whatever role needed to enter the rooms. I'm sure someone like Steve (who seems analytical enough to figure that out) or Pierce (who, despite his looks, seems to catch on to things well enough) would be up to luring and possibly manipulating Adam to achieve the goal of survival.
-Now, as to who the mastermind can be? Going back, it seems the three most likely are Steve, Kang, Bart, or Lars. I already gave my, honestly quite shallow, reasons for suspecting Lars and Kang. But I notice that Steve and Bart don't take kindly to Adam that well, especially Steve following the first murder. But until more is revealed, anyone is fair game. Even Adam! (Umineko and VLR certainly opened the doors on that kind of theory)
Ok that's enough out of me :lol:
Oh you found it really quiet?
Yeah, and I don't exactly have my volume all too low. And by beginning, I do mean [img=https://puu.sh/vfUVO/8146c99279.jpg]this scene[/img].

As for your request, I'll see when I can give another playthrough with that in mind.A little help doesn;t hurt, after all.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Hours Left
Tumblr: 8-bitadonis

#25 Post by Hours Left »

Hey illuminate001, I tried out the demo a few days ago and really enjoyed it! I sent you a message via your Tumblr page but I'm not sure if you got it, so I thought I'd ask a few questions about the game, if you don't mind. First I'll fill out your questionnaire though. :)

QUESTIONS:

As soon as I saw the game's trailer on Tumblr I was immediately intrigued. I love mysteries, and I love BL/Bara games, so this was right up my alley. I'm not huge into horror stuff, but I do enjoy thrillers like 999, VLR, DanganRonpa, etc, and to see a game in that vein with a strong gay theme was really exciting.

After playing the demo, I wanted to keep going! There were a few issues that I was curious about, hence me sending you a message on Tumblr, but I'll get to those after. Overall though, I found it to be very enjoyable.

The scene with everyone meeting up in the foyer was a bit drawn out I thought, but with the size of the cast, it was understandable. Alternatively, the pace of the first puzzle room was a bit jarring in contrast, though I imagine that was intentional.

I have a few ideas about the general direction of the game, but I think there's a lot of potential to shake things up. The conceit of being a "top", "bottom", or "versatile" introduces wrinkles that I'm sure will be exciting.

I'm all for the explicit sexual content. The more the merrier I'd say. Even though I'm not a horror junkie, even I know that these types of tense situations in fiction also promote more visceral acts between the participants. Adult gay sexual content in gaming is something I support 100%.

I don't think anyone can say something is blatantly obvious without knowing the whole story. Are there parts of the game that I think point towards certain people? Sure. But until it's all said and done, there's always room for surprises.

As for who I'm currently suspecting...
My top three suspects are Bart, Earl and Lars. Bart because of his contempt for the more vapid sides of the gay community, which seems to be a theme of this game. Earl for similar reasons. Lars is a bit too perfect, though I'm also secretly hoping he's still alive, as his death didn't seem totally convincing, and selfishly because I'd like to see more of him in the game.
Bart, Vince and Lars are my favorite. Aesthetically because I love bara, and also because I like their personalities. Pierce and Earl are cool too.

And now I have a few comments/questions if that's alright.

First off, like a few other posters here, I was immediately struck by Adam's line about Earl near the beginning. It was very off putting, and left a bit of a sour feeling in my stomach. Then as I continued to play the game, it seemed to me that were not exactly supposed to be relating with Adam, at least not to the same degree as a standard protagonist, as he is obviously a very flawed individual. I was glad to hear you say that we're supposed to be upset by Adam's reaction toward Earl, as I think a lot of players would be immediately upset by that part of the game without any sort of context. My question regarding this is, will Adam's biases be directly addressed in the game? Of course I know you don't want to give away the plot, but I was just hoping for a bit of clarification on that.

Secondly, as for the puzzle aspects of the game, I was just wondering about the format of that portion of the game in general. Will all the puzzles be text based? Or will there be any sort of environmental interaction going forward?

And lastly, I was just wondering who all is responsible for the various aspects of the game. On your site it says Soulsoft is a one person company, so am I correct to assume all the artwork and music was also provided by you?

Thanks for reading all this. I actually have a blog on Tumblr that focuses on gay content in gaming, and I'd like to feature this game in the future there if you'd be alright with that. Cheers!

illuminate001
Veteran

#26 Post by illuminate001 »

@illuminate001
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been checking it out and I like it. :D
Happy to help in any way I can!

And don't worry about the Earl thing, I figured it was intentional. I just felt I had to bring it up on the off chance it wasn't. But it's all good, I don't expect to like or agree with every thing a character say/do and I really don't expect you would either. It's going to be interesting to see if it will be brought up further in Earl's storyline. Not that it needs to.
@Parsonova - Of course! :mrgreen: Since HoursLeft also asked about Adam's comment/Earl's storyline I will address that below and quell any worries.
Hey illuminate001, I tried out the demo a few days ago and really enjoyed it! I sent you a message via your Tumblr page but I'm not sure if you got it, so I thought I'd ask a few questions about the game, if you don't mind. First I'll fill out your questionnaire though. :)
@Hours Left - Welcome to the forums, aw also I'm very glad you enjoyed it! And that you found LMA to be its own unique flavor within the Bara genre that hasn't gone in this game direction before. Also I saw your message on Tumblr today. I am new to tumblr and honestly didn't even KNOW I had messages or how to receive them. I had even gotten messages from blogger "englishblgames" who helpfully and coincidentally advised me to reach out to you! And now here you are. :lol:

Anyways I would love to be featured on your Tumblr! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. If you have any other questions that you wanted answered in private through Tumblr (now that I know how to use it) please feel free to hit me up there anytime. Maybe we could do a Q&A or something.
As soon as I saw the game's trailer on Tumblr I was immediately intrigued. I love mysteries, and I love BL/Bara games, so this was right up my alley. I'm not huge into horror stuff, but I do enjoy thrillers like 999, VLR, DanganRonpa, etc, and to see a game in that vein with a strong gay theme was really exciting.

After playing the demo, I wanted to keep going! There were a few issues that I was curious about, hence me sending you a message on Tumblr, but I'll get to those after. Overall though, I found it to be very enjoyable.
I would say LMA is more a thriller than a horror. There isn't a lot of gore per say, (although what IS in there is powerful and not just for the sake of goreporn) and it isn't incredibly graphic. In fact, I'd say the portrayals of violence are stylized to the point of almost being fetishized.
Bart, Vince and Lars are my favorite. Aesthetically because I love bara, and also because I like their personalities. Pierce and Earl are cool too.
Aww I LOVE Lars too actually! I can't give anything away. But I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him expand his role further. Everyone loves Bart but I'd say if I had to pick a partner (personality-wise, trust-wise and sexually) I would hands down choose Lars.
First off, like a few other posters here, I was immediately struck by Adam's line about Earl near the beginning. It was very off putting, and left a bit of a sour feeling in my stomach. Then as I continued to play the game, it seemed to me that were not exactly supposed to be relating with Adam, at least not to the same degree as a standard protagonist, as he is obviously a very flawed individual. I was glad to hear you say that we're supposed to be upset by Adam's reaction toward Earl, as I think a lot of players would be immediately upset by that part of the game without any sort of context. My question regarding this is, will Adam's biases be directly addressed in the game? Of course I know you don't want to give away the plot, but I was just hoping for a bit of clarification on that.

Secondly, as for the puzzle aspects of the game, I was just wondering about the format of that portion of the game in general. Will all the puzzles be text based? Or will there be any sort of environmental interaction going forward?

And lastly, I was just wondering who all is responsible for the various aspects of the game. On your site it says Soulsoft is a one person company, so am I correct to assume all the artwork and music was also provided by you?

Thanks for reading all this. I actually have a blog on Tumblr that focuses on gay content in gaming, and I'd like to feature this game in the future there if you'd be alright with that. Cheers!
- So alot of ppl have mentioned Adam's comment about Earl and if that is just a drop in the bucket storywise. We've established that I wrote it intentionally and I want to comment on it, but I also don't want to spoil anything. All I can say is that it's addressed by the cast later on in the story. Adam is indeed a flawed protagonist and I did write him to be likable to a point, although I think you'll always get a sense that he is alittle "off". He isn't one to really think about why he does what he does, or think in retrospect or reflect. And curiously what do you like/find cool about Pierce and Earl?

- The puzzles do start to have image based clues to them past The Drowning Room. However, there are no point-and-click environmental searching puzzles. Hopefully people still enjoy the creativity in presentation of the puzzles! :oops:

- I am actually doing all the art, code, writing (oof Im so tired lol) but music I'm finding royalty free tracks by composers. There are 2 original tracks that I had commissioned from a very talented composer friend (LMA's main theme and ending theme...both of which can be heard in the trailer). I'm really happy with how they turned out. :D
Last edited by illuminate001 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#27 Post by illuminate001 »

@Hijiri - Thanks for all your recommendations! Actually I took alot of them and in the Complete version you'll be able to see most of them in effect. ^_^

Oh I don't mind you theorizing at all! In fact I find it really fascinating and SOOO difficult to hold my tongue and not let you know how close or far you are on certain ones. Obviously I can't say too much but I will say the following:

- The way they are subjected to teams comprising of TOPS/BOTTOMS/VERSES is not a coincidence and definitely has a purpose.

- It worked out well that there are exactly 3 TOPS, 4 BOTTOMS and 1 VERSE. If they play the game correctly and as long as Adam doesn't choose to just run away with Vince (his trusted friend) everyone should make it to the end. Shouldn't they? Well, we all know things never play out as cleanly as we plan...
Last edited by illuminate001 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hours Left
Tumblr: 8-bitadonis

#28 Post by Hours Left »

@Hours Left - Welcome to the forums, aw also I'm very glad you enjoyed it! And that you found LMA to be its own unique flavor within the Bara genre that hasn't gone in this game direction before. Also I saw your message on Tumblr today. I am new to tumblr and honestly didn't even KNOW I had messages or how to receive them. I had even gotten messages from blogger "englishblgames" who helpfully and coincidentally advised me to reach out to you! And now here you are. :lol:

Anyways I would love to be featured on your Tumblr! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. If you have any other questions that you wanted answered in private through Tumblr (now that I know how to use it) please feel free to hit me up there anytime. Maybe we could do a Q&A or something.
Of course, that's no problem! I wasn't sure if it was an active page or not yet, as I thought maybe you had it set up for future use. It was kind of englishblgames to offer that suggestion. My blog isn't anything major, but I do a quarterly feature on current and upcoming bara games in English, and I'd like to have this game in the upcoming Spring 2017 edition, which is why I wanted to ask some questions.

I'll definitely contact you again in the future on Tumblr if there's anything else I'm curious about, but it seems like you've got a good dialogue going here too. :)
I would say LMA is more a thriller than a horror. There isn't a lot of gore per say, (although what IS in there is powerful and not just for the sake of goreporn) and it isn't incredibly graphic. In fact, I'd say the portrayals of violence are stylized to the point of almost being fetishized.
That's the impression I got, but I just wanted to check. If it was more horror I'd most likely still play it, but it's not really my thing generally, "torture porn" stuff specifically. The more stylized violence sounds more in line with stuff like DanganRonpa and such, and even though that can still be upsetting, and rightfully so, I think if used correctly it can be very effective.
Aww I LOVE Lars too actually! I can't give anything away. But I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him expand his role further. Everyone loves Bart but I'd say if I had to pick a partner (personality-wise, trust-wise and sexually) I would hands down choose Lars.
Well, as I said, Lars is basically perfection. The bit we've gotten to know about him so far is a gay dream come true. Whether or not he remains that way I guess we'll see, but personally I think those types of portrayals, while obviously fantasy, are important for the gay community. Not everything can be that way of course, nor should it be, but indulgent fantasy is important IMO. Certainly other, more catered to demographics of the medium have it in spades.

And Bart is a more realistic version of that same ideal I'd say, at least from what we know currently. Rough around the edges, but with admirable ideals. Of course the fact that he's a (very on trend) lumberjack daddy type doesn't hurt either.
So alot of ppl have mentioned Adam's comment about Earl and if that is just a drop in the bucket storywise. We've established that I wrote it intentionally and I want to comment on it, but I also don't want to spoil anything. All I can say is that it's addressed by the cast later on in the story. Adam is indeed a flawed protagonist and I did write him to be likable to a point, although I think you'll always get a sense that he is alittle "off". He isn't one to really think about why he does what he does, or think in retrospect or reflect.
I'm glad it will be addressed. As I played more I assumed as such, but I know it's sensitive subject for most people, as it should be. Prejudice and inherent bias is something we all have to deal with, particularly within the gay community. I wouldn't expect, or even necessarily want, every main character to be perfect. Flaws are a part of everyone, but in games where players have agency over a character's reactions to things, something at the core of most visual novels, when a line like Adam's thoughts about Earl come up, with no immediate way to address them, I can see how it could turn people off. If I could make one suggestion, I'd say in the future when promoting the game, I'd make some general allusion to Adam's behavior being something players should be questioning, as without any frame of context, some people might not be willing to continue on with the game when confronted with the more overt instances of Adam's shortcomings.
And curiously what do you like/find cool about Pierce and Earl?
Pierce has that "lovable oaf" thing going for him right now, at least to me. Now I could see how he might blow that all up in the future, but right now his brashness is endearing. I don't mind cocky characters when it doesn't seemingly come from a place of malice or dissension. If it turns out he's just a big softy under all his bravado, even better.

Earl I like because he mostly matches my own personality, except for his immediate reaction after the first "event". I'm usually cautious and wary of unfamiliar situations, and tend to be more analytical about them. I'm generally more a proponent of team work though. :wink:
The puzzles do start to have image based clues to them past The Drowning Room. However, there are no point-and-click environmental searching puzzles. Hopefully people still enjoy the creativity in presentation of the puzzles! :oops:
Ah, okay. I enjoy all sorts of puzzles, so I'm looking forward to what else is in store here.
I am actually doing all the art, code, writing (oof Im so tired lol) but music I'm finding royalty free tracks by composers. There are 2 original tracks that I had commissioned from a very talented composer friend (LMA's main theme and ending theme...both of which can be heard in the trailer). I'm really happy with how they turned out. :D
That's really cool! Your art style is really striking, and you've created some very intriguing characters, so I'm excited to see more of them. :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

DuskSnare
Tumblr: DuskSnare
Soundcloud: DuskSnare

#29 Post by DuskSnare »

Moved from the old thread:

It was pretty good! The story was good, and I liked the art (To an extent, I wasn't too fond of Lars, but I liked the others). I would definitely play it again, though throughout playing the game I felt an odd disconnect from the reader and the main character. The main character felt less relatable, kind of stuck-up/self involved. Though, I assume that's the way the character was written and made. One thing that left a foul taste in my mouth was in the beginning when Adam said "He's cute, for an asian". Though again, that could just be the character arc.

The story was well paced, the only part that felt rushed/awkward was when Lars showed up. It was still well written and in a way reminded me of a game called "Danganronpa", If you've heard of it. The vibe that comes off is similar. I'd suggest giving that game a shot, maybe you could get more ideas from it to!

My idea of what is going to happen leads one of two ways, Lars was never killed, but was hired for the act. He is an actor, and as such fear in his eyes is something hes had training for. Also the lights went out, so they could just have a placed a dummy there. My other idea is that it is actually a killer, though I lean towards the first part of the story.

Not at all, explicit sexual content doesn't bother me at all, though it may stop me from playing till I was alone. A scene toggle could be a good addition, and it may allow some YouTuber's to do Let's plays of the game, or at least remove the effort of blacking out the screen. There is code on the Ren'py's site for such an option, here: https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... s_optional Though, as it says at the top of the page it may be out of date.

I completely have no idea who it could be, though I suspect the peek we get of the killer may be a dummy or something a long the lines.

I'd have to say my favorite character so far is Lucky. While he is cute, I'm not particularly attracted to the character. He seems to be the nicest of the group, actually seems to have more empathy for others. Also he wants to make video games, 10/10. Though attraction wise I'd say... well the killer looked pretty cool.

All in all, I liked the game! In the demo I wish there were a few more dialogue choices, but it's just that, a demo. I'd give the demo an 8.5/10! Can't wait to play the full game when it's out!

Edit: Forgot to mention I like your music choices!

illuminate001
Veteran

Re: Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Thriller, Demo] QA has begun

#30 Post by illuminate001 »

@Hours Left - I'm so excited to see LMA featured in the quarterly. Hit me up and let me know when it's up! You have a really great flair for coming up with inquisitive provoking questions/commentary and when the game is finally done, and if you manage to play and complete it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I think that must be the blogger part of you. :P

@DuskSnare - Thanks for moving your post over! I'm pretty sure I replied to a good bulk of your questions in that latest post at you, so I will spare everyone from reiterating. They can just scroll up. lol. Anyways I'm glad that you're excited for the full game and I did update the post but just FYI the game is complete! We are in QA testing/Bug fixes phase for the next 2 weeks. Assuming the fixes aren't major, Let's MEAT Adam should be out around next month. YAY!

So here's a question for LSF members. So now that my game is complete (pending the results of QA), when I go to post an announcement do I make it under the normal "Completed Games" section or do I do it in the "Completed Adult Games" section? None of the art that is previewed or the links themselves lead to adult content although of course the full game itself will have adult content. Do I post in both areas? I'm not sure on LSF policies in these regards.
ImageImage
ImageImage