Eldritch Academy Private Beta Test [OPEN] [GxG Romance/Horror]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Eldritch Academy Private Beta Test [OPEN] [GxG Romance/Horror]

#1 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Since Eldritch Academy's story is mostly locked-in and the game is primarily waiting for art assets before progressing to a final release, I figured it might be about time to run a private beta test to gauge interest in and reactions to the game. A few notes about the beta:
  • Since the beta includes the full story of the game, I'd like some level of assurance that testers won't steal the game or leak information that would spoil the story.
  • Due to the nature of the test, I'd prefer that volunteers be ready to give some level of detail in their feedback beyond a simple like or dislike.
  • Most of the script of the game has been finalized, so major changes are unlikely at best. While glaring spelling errors and grammar issues that aren't intended may be fixed, the story will not change.
  • There are no plans for pay/compensation for reviewing the game (aside from credit as a playtester).
With those out of the way, here's the link to the WIP project page: link
Basic information about the game can be found there.

For this beta test, I'm looking for a few (maybe around 3-5) testers to play through the game and provide feedback. Testers won't be asked to play every potential scene, but I'd encourage thouroughness to give the test the best results. After playing the beta build, I'd like the testers to give their impressions about the game and its story, with some level of detail (2-3 paragraphs at least).

Some information about the game regarding length for playtesting:
  • 5 routes, 9 endings (Steps to complete each ending can be given upon request after first run.)
  • 8 bonus scenes (Unlocked from clearing endings.)
  • Roughly 4 hours to reach an ending from start at my reading speed. About 10 hours to fully clear main game while skipping repeated text. About 1 additional hour from bonus content.
If you're interested in the beta test, respond here or send me a PM. I'll create a list of testers here once people apply so that everyone knows how many "slots" there are left. Once the beta build is ready, I'll PM the testers a link to the build.

Testers: 5/5?
  • Chronicles
  • arcturus (?)
  • Blackcross
  • Zelan
  • Steamy Beard
Lastly, here are some questions that may help in directing the feedback:
  • What are your general thoughts on the game? Were they different from your initial impressions?
  • How much do you think the game should cost?
  • In your opinion, does the game thematically lean more toward horror or romance? Or something else entirely?
  • What are your thoughts on the horror elements? What kind of horror would you use to describe them? Are they too significant/insignificant?
  • What are your thoughts on the romance elements? Do the character relationships feel realistic or contrived?
  • Does the story fall into or avoid the pitfalls of Girls Love/Yuri cliches and stereotypes?
  • Are there any features that you felt were missing from the game, or should have been handled better?
  • What are your feelings on each of the characters (particularly main characters)? Are there any you like or dislike more than the others? Do they feel like real people or caricatures?
  • Which route did you play first? Which did you like the most? Did you like the way route selection worked, or was it too simple?
  • Does the plot resolve in a way that feels right, or does it seem forced?
  • What were your favorite/least favorite parts of the game?
  • Would you be interested in a sequel to this story, with or without the main characters?
It may take a bit of time for me to prepare the actual beta build for the test, but I'm hoping that can be done in a little over a week from today, depending on external circumstances. Hopefully by then there will be a few volunteers, and they won't have waited for too long for the beta build to be put together.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series