A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Thriller] < Play the Prologue! >

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Thriller] < Play the Prologue! >

#1 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Image Image Image

WEBSITE | TWITTER | ITCH.IO | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR

Update #10: Mysteries & Science Fiction in A Near Dawn

I just gave a pretty in-depth interview to IndieGraze about A Near Dawn and Visual Novels.

Our KickStarter wrapped at 76% ~ We didn't quite reach our goal. It will be nice to take a little break and reflect on things. You can download the full Prologue for A Near Dawn FREE on Itch.io (Russian Version available, as well) / Steam / GooglePlay! (Android Version)

A Near Dawn is a visual adventure created by Leonid Pilchin. It is the first commercial project from Far-off Daydream Games.

A Near Dawn is an enjoyable yet devastating psychological thriller with amusing highs, gut-wrenching crashes, and mature themes. While grounded in reality, supernatural and science fiction elements will unfold as the story progresses. The opening sees our main character - Seattle-based attorney Sam Nichols - who seems to be experiencing disturbing psychological difficulties, exposed to progressively dire circumstances that threaten to unravel his reality and destroy those closest to him. Haunted by personal demons, with your law firm struggling and on the brink of collapse, you take the helm on an important new case involving a ruthless multinational corporation, defended by some of the vilest people you ever had the misfortune of knowing. The odds already seem stacked against you, but you will soon learn that things are not as they appear, as a deeper conspiracy begins to emerge. Where will you end up if you keep untangling the threads? You must be brave to uncover the truth.

This project is an interactive visual novel adventure featuring:
  • Beautiful artwork and animations rendered in 1080p
  • Immersive cinematics with some frame-by-frame animation
  • Original music composed for the game
  • Fully voiced audio provided by exceptionally talented actors
  • Point and Click interface with puzzles to solve - the flow of this game is inspired by traditional adventure games
  • Dynamic decisions that alter the course of your interactions with others - rewards or consequences for your actions
  • Psychological tension - the main character has a darker personality who will come to the surface if you feed that darkness
  • Multiple endings - there is one true ending, but your successes or failures can take you off course
  • Episodic narrative - This is a full game, but it is part of an ambitious project with a far-reaching storyline
The plot will not progress without you, you are in control of the main character's actions at every turn. You will explore your environment and speak to other characters to learn about what is happening and what must be done. A key concept of this game was to give as much freedom and put as much detail into the content of the story as could be managed, as such you will have the option to skip important elements of the game not necessary for advancing the main plot if your character chooses to ignore them or fails to explore them. At the same time, you will not be able to move forward without resolving issues necessary for advancing the story along.

The stage is set - in fair Seattle, where we lay our scene.

The neighborhood diner near your workplace. Our story begins here with a chat between two of our protagonists over a lunch that goes terribly wrong.

Where, oh where could this be?

Writing & Programming - Leonid Pilchin
Character Art & Animation - Leonid Pilchin
Background Art - Alexander Kaloyan
Music - Soundicate

1. What do you think about the concept, pacing and gameplay?
2. What are your impressions of the characters and story? Who is your favorite?
3. How do you like the art style?
4. Would you support this project on KickStarter? :)

Follow us here:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | ITCH.IO | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR

Let us know what you think!
Last edited by LeonDaydreamer on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 21 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure]

#2 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

I should probably mention that we put off the KickStarter until the 24th. Things were getting a little hectic...

If you check out the game, do let us know your thoughts! We would love to hear from you! And if you have a chance, please take a look at our upcoming KickStarter campaign and let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

We got a really nice review from Alpha Beta Gamer (here)! :)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] [Now on Steam!]

#3 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

We just released the Prologue on Steam! :)

ImageImageImage

So you can now grab it on Itch.io or Steam --
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] [Now on Steam & ANDROID!]

#4 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

We just released A Near Dawn: Prologue on Android!! You can grab it on GooglePlay!

It actually feels really nice and sleek on a handheld. :)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] [Itch/Steam/Android] [KICKSTARTER Oct 24th!]

#5 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

May as well formally announce it:
We will be launching our KickStarter on October 24th! Please have a look at our campaign and let us know what you think! :)

ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] [ Now On KICKSTARTER! ]

#6 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

We launched on KickStarter! Excitement! Fireworks!
Finally! This is my first ever KickStarter campaign (super nervous about it) - Please have a look at it and if there is anything you can do to help share or support it, we would greatly appreciate it! :)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] < Now On KICKSTARTER! >

#7 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Hey guys, a little KickStarter Update - we received a lot of support in the first day and are up to 20% of our funding goal!
Also! Some one super enthusiastic about the project supported it on the highest tier!! One of the rewards for that one is adding a new character into the game based on their idea. So that should be interesting! :)

[This is our KickStarter Campaign]

Wish us luck!
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] < Now On KICKSTARTER! >

#8 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

We are up to 1/4 funded on our KickStarter Campaign :) Have a peek if you haven't already, we have some pretty snazzy rewards.
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#9 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

I talk about how A Near Dawn got started (as a text-based adventure game!) in my KickStarter Update #2

:)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#10 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Alright, I have never been less excited to release something. :P
Since I shared some insights into the early evolution of this project some people have shown an interest in checking it out. So here is the original text-based prototype for Back To Reality A Near Dawn!

https://leondaydreamer.itch.io/a-near-d ... -prototype

I actually developed a good half to two-thirds of the game in Twine before going graphical and switching to Ren'Py, but to avoid spoilers I ended this version where the Prologue ends. And without voice or graphics... that's really like 2 minutes of gameplay. :P - But you can see how things changed, and I never had the introduction where he is running in the woods in the original (I came up with that to spruce up the Ren'Py version). Also you will find that there is no mention of Richard Grave, because he came around later as the story developed more.

So, really, this is just a sad, lonely WIP from two years ago! :)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#11 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

I talk about working with Voice Actors in my latest update on KickStarter. I never worked with voice actors before and it's been a very interesting experience working with them so closely, and really helping them along in realizing my vision, but at the same time picking up on their strengths and appreciating what they bring to the project. :)

A Near Dawn - KickStarter Update #5

ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#12 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Hey guys, we're going to try this again - you can help us by pledging a tweet or post to one of your social media platforms on our Thunderclap.
Please help us if you can! It only takes a minute and we will need 100 people to help us or it fails (again). :)

ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] < 50% on KICKSTARTER! >

#13 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Wow, we are up to 50% funded on our KickStarter!
We will definitely need more support to get to our goal, though. Please help share and support our campaign! :)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Psychological Thriller Adventure] < 50% on KICKSTARTER! >

#14 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Hi guys, happy Saturday! :)
I just gave a really in-depth interview to IndieGraze about A Near Dawn and Visual Novels:

https://www.indiegraze.com/2017/11/10/i ... d-pilchin/

"... there is no question in my mind that you need something for a character to stay with your audience. Everyone knows that instinctively, if they think about their favorite characters – I mention Peter Lorre from The Maltese Falcon in my post, but I can just as easily talk about Jack Sparrow, an immensely beloved character. And probably eccentricity is not the perfect word, but definitely personality..."

Etc... :P
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: A NEAR DAWN ♣ [Dark Humorous Thriller] < 50% on KICKSTARTER! > +Android for All!

#15 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

We just posted a new update on our Kickstarter Campaign:

Update #9: ANDROID For All!

The gist of it is that all our backers on Kickstarter at and above the Early Wakeup tier will receive a complimentary copy of the game on Android (for themselves or a friend) in addition to their other rewards! :)

ImageImageImageImage