Bad Accidents Playtesting

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Eli_teamruby
Projects: Bad Accidents
Github: Eli-teamruby

Bad Accidents Playtesting

#1 Post by Eli_teamruby » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 pm

The November-December Bad Accidents playtesting period is open. Anybody is allowed to participate. PM me your impressions or comment them down below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k0BC1B ... p=drivesdk

PS: there is no art, music, or background art yet. This project has run off of my imagination for 2 years. Music will most likely be starting soon, if I ever do it, and background art will most likely be starting soon too. I left parts out of this demo, such as important story points and scripting that gave away what the big, final picture looks like.

The game has an "extras" folder. In the folder is 2 of the game's short stories, which show up on crucial points in the story. I tried to make this demo as spoiler-free as possible. If you're interested in helping with the final project, please feel free to DM me. I don't have a budget but would be willing to trade writing/dev skills for art and assets.

The game is a horror game written in the style of Stephen King and told in a fashion similar to DDLC.
Where there is a problem, there's a solution.

OldNoEyes
Projects: Black Heaven
itch: oldnoeyes.itch.io

Re: Bad Accidents Playtesting

#2 Post by OldNoEyes » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:40 pm

So I played through the Alpha Playtest file for Windows, and here are my thoughts:

* If you need placeholder backgrounds and character sprites, the Creative Commons forum page here on Lemmasoft has some you can use. It can really enhance your demo if the people playing through can get a sense of the scene changes, the character expressions etc.

* You mention Doki Doki Literature Club and Stephen King as influences on this story, but I don't get a strong horror vibe from this demo so far. Usually, you want to establish horror overtones or undertones quickly (unless you're trying to trick your readers).

* There's a writing tip that I like to keep in mind when writing dialogue: characters should speak realistically, but not slavishly real. There's a lot of back and forth between characters that only moves the plot forward slowly, with very short responses. Though it's realistic, it doesn't make for well-paced fiction. You might want to condense conversations and boil them down to the most interesting parts.

* There's a significant amount of swearing and minor grammar issues (capitalization, lack of periods, etc.) in the text. I don't give a fuck about swearing, but when it accumulates, it starts getting annoying. As for the grammar stuff, the primary reason you want to take care of that is to look professional and read smoothly. If your text has grammar problems, your potential readers are less likely to take you seriously.

* The projector-like video of "Bad Accidents" along with the sound effect is really cool.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your project!
You opened the box, he came.

Eli_teamruby

#3 Post by Eli_teamruby » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:08 pm

OldNoEyes wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:40 pm
So I played through the Alpha Playtest file for Windows, and here are my thoughts:

* If you need placeholder backgrounds and character sprites, the Creative Commons forum page here on Lemmasoft has some you can use. It can really enhance your demo if the people playing through can get a sense of the scene changes, the character expressions etc.

* You mention Doki Doki Literature Club and Stephen King as influences on this story, but I don't get a strong horror vibe from this demo so far. Usually, you want to establish horror overtones or undertones quickly (unless you're trying to trick your readers).

* There's a writing tip that I like to keep in mind when writing dialogue: characters should speak realistically, but not slavishly real. There's a lot of back and forth between characters that only moves the plot forward slowly, with very short responses. Though it's realistic, it doesn't make for well-paced fiction. You might want to condense conversations and boil them down to the most interesting parts.

* There's a significant amount of swearing and minor grammar issues (capitalization, lack of periods, etc.) in the text. I don't give a fuck about swearing, but when it accumulates, it starts getting annoying. As for the grammar stuff, the primary reason you want to take care of that is to look professional and read smoothly. If your text has grammar problems, your potential readers are less likely to take you seriously.

* The projector-like video of "Bad Accidents" along with the sound effect is really cool.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I haven't put any of the horror elements in this demo because of major plot spoilers. When this is fully launched, it will be 100% free. I don't intend to make money off of selling the game because that's stupid. If anything, it will probably be merch. Thank you for helping.

Eli_teamruby

#4 Post by Eli_teamruby » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:25 pm

OldNoEyes wrote:

Also, I may or may not have a horror sequence after the demo... Or that I cut out of the demo... (The second one). It had spoilers so I had to cut it out.

Eli_teamruby

#5 Post by Eli_teamruby » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:40 pm

OldNoEyes wrote:

Lack of periods and capitalization is intentional. If there was a spelling error, though, please tell me.