Soul Union [Psychological][Fantasy]-LF Beta testers

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
wulfmune
Regular

Soul Union [Psychological][Fantasy]-LF Beta testers

#1 Post by wulfmune »

I would really love some feedback for my game before I going forward with investing more in to my project.

The game's most recent build is available at:

https://coffeedripstudios.itch.io/soul-union
password: wulfmune

I welcome any feedback.
Particularly about GUI, since this is my first attempt at customizing the ren'py default.
Also I apologize that some of the dialogue/narration might seem more wordy in the later part of the game, as it's currently in the process of getting copy edited.

For more information, you can check out my idea post here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57935
Last edited by wulfmune on Wed May 27, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexNumbers
Projects: Treis Zoes, Eyepieces' glares
Organization: FlyingFantasy Team

Re: Soul Union [Psychological][Fantasy]-LF Beta testers

#2 Post by AlexNumbers »

Gonna try out your beta tomorrow,
I will write my thoughts on the provided questions and will definitely add something from myself.

Do I need to know about any bugs or something else?
«The sun has escaped from my realm.
No. I sent it away.
My world is too perfect for it.
Green lightnings will light up my world».

(Ifest)

AlexNumbers
Projects: Treis Zoes, Eyepieces' glares
Organization: FlyingFantasy Team

#3 Post by AlexNumbers »

I just played the beta,
So I'll start with your questions step-by-step
1) I see your story is pretty good and I liked the memories scenes, but at some point I got tired of walking around the garden, although there were interesting choices that determined the character's personality and stats. The characters we meet at Chapter 1 are okay.
2) You give the reader the opportunity to track the change in his stats, but it loses the feeling that I really built the character's personality, and not just pumped his skills. At the time of the first Chapter, it would be worth removing the visibility of stats, just letting to the reader that his choice affects the protagonist.
3) I think you should make your demo shorter, because you have so many choices to build protagonist's stats, but you have no chance to use them in fight. As a result, you waste much time for nothing and in full game you will have to do all this again. Just show the reader that in the first Chapter he will have to help the protagonist remember his past and set his stats.
4) The most compelling for me was the thief, the least was the bard, but this is a matter of taste.
5) It depends on what you want to create in general: a novel or an RPG. Your structure will be fine if you will make more of RPG elements/gameplay for your game. The "death" possibilities need to be not predictable and in small numbers, I think.
6) I was okay about all that. The only problem is that the protagonist sighed too often at the beginning of the Chapter 1 :) . I liked him the most while I was making him "logical". Also there were enough of the choices, maybe you should make a little bit less of them.

In general, I liked the animated sprites and the presentation of the surrounding world to the player. I really liked the prologue, at some point I even thought that my choices can determine the race of the protagonist.
There also was a problem about the black background appearing during the sprite animations. I've never worked with animation, so I can't even guess what the problem might be. And if you want your testers to use Ren'Edit, you should let them know what it is and how to use it. At first I didn't even understand what the two buttons on top of GUI were.
Wish you good luck with the development
«The sun has escaped from my realm.
No. I sent it away.
My world is too perfect for it.
Green lightnings will light up my world».

(Ifest)

wulfmune
Regular

#4 Post by wulfmune »

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Sorry I haven't visited this site in awhile but I really appreciate you taking your time to provide so much valuable insight.

Ah I apologize for not mentioning the Ren'Edit. I don't really expect anyone play testing to flag spelling/grammar. It was leftover from a former build. I'm getting close to re-hauling the presentation so I'll get rid of that when I can update to a new version.

I've figured out that the flickering background/black background is caused when the program lags and the movie sprites and and transparency layer get de-synchronized. I found a fix for it that would get the images to lag in synch but to in order get rid of that floating underwater look of the looping and hopefully lower lag and I've decided to use a combination of movie sprites and pngs.

I've been getting some very mixed feedback on the stats and their visibility, so I will definitely weigh in your opinion to the mix.

Again, thank you so very much!