Moodboards from Clients - question?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Senroc

Moodboards from Clients - question?

#1 Post by Senroc »

Not sure where else to post this question but here goes:

I am not an artist but I am working on a visual novel of my own, almost but not quite ready to commission an artist about character designs. i would like to make moodboards of my characters but i've seen different approaches as to how they're done. But if I were to come to you with a character I'd like designing, what kind of moodboard/prompt setup would you prefer/understand best?

A. A simple, abstract moodboard with aesthetic images themed around the characters' vibes alongside a visual description of said character?
B. An annotated moodboard with pictures of other characters to convey features (e.g. eye style, body type, colour palettes)

Just want a bit of feedback from those who do art!

Lynn_Dragon1

Re: Moodboards from Clients - question?

#2 Post by Lynn_Dragon1 »

I would prefer working off of B personally, takes a lot of the guess work and the risk of miscommunication out of the job.

CatPalismia
Regular
Discord: temteno#2499

#3 Post by CatPalismia »

It really depends of the artist and what they are willing to work with.
However, if it was up to me, moodboard A would work in a situation where a client is ready to give me creative freedom. That doesn't mean the client has no word when it comes to the final design, but I don't want to make 3 revisions just because the client doesn't like, for example, the specific shape of the skirt. Moodboard B on the other hand would work best in a situation where the client has a clear idea what they want from me.

If you like specific artist's original character designs OR you don't feel confident when it comes to making character designs, I would go with the moodboard A (if the artist is comfortable with that). Otherwise you should do moodboard B. Even better is to send both moodboards A and B!

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#4 Post by puppetbomb »

Along with the good points Lynn and Cat brought up, I'd also like to add that A will always be more resource-intensive than B in both money and time.